By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC gamers and builders ,do you actually use Anti-Static wrist straps when you install your CPU?

These things.

I actually never used one, I know its wrong not to, but I've not known that you should have one until very recently, I guess I just got lucky about it, I never wear anything that can cause discharge (like sweaters) and I always assemble my stuff on a wooden desk (is that good or bad?).

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
I was told to do it as well but never did - I will in the future though ;p

Havent had any problems.

I was told like "dude what the fuck YOU ARE GOING TO RUIN YOUR COMPUTER!" and I have no idea what they were talking about.

guess im just too "chill" for any static

Yeah, I always use one. It has the potential to shorten the life of your components if you don't. I also save all the anti-static bags I come across.

Only time I've used an ESD wrist strap was when working on manufacturing floor while sitting down (if standing then we just have ESD heel straps). They also don't let us use those clips for the wrist straps (have a plug in instead).

Never and never had any problems. Anyways I guess if you feel like diminishing the chances of something going wrong from 0.1% to 0.01%, by all means go ahead... but doing the obvious precautions cover it, really.

Around the Network

I build my pc's naked... some friends find it awkward when I'm helping them out

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

All you have to do is touch something metal, like the case before touching anything. If you're on a carpet, try to hold the case as much as possible when adjusting or moving. You really don't need that strap lol

NiKKoM said:
I build my pc's naked... some friends find it awkward when I'm helping them out

So where do you keep all the screws and tools?  You should at least wear a tool belt.

Nah I never bother. Where I live there's not much static. I just touch my metal case frequently to discharge any charge I might have built up on my fingers.

Never have worried about static. No carpet in my house so its never really been a problem for me. My biggest worry when building pcs in bending little pins on cpus. My first build I did that and had to very carefully bend them back.