By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - AMD on ps4: "It is by Far The Most Powerful APU we Have Built to Date"

darkknightkryta said:
ethomaz said:
darkknightkryta said:
Why is it a T.V. manufacturer can design a CPU better than a CPU manufacturer?

AMD made the PS4 APU... not Sony.

The way things were worded sounded like Sony asked for certain customizations which pushed the APU beyond anything AMD was planning.  I mis understood the OP.

That's the way I interpeted it too, but see nothing wrong with this.

Sony (and I am sure MS) had an idea what they wanted and told AMD.

AMD then produced the product. It seems (as you pointed out) that Sony asked for more than AMD had bargained for but still manage to produce the goods.

The price is my biggest worry. I am stuck at the crossroads when it comes to console technology. I want more realistic graphics and AI but don't want Sony to pay the price of bad sales due to the high cost of the consoles.

Around the Network
Stinky said:
It's good to see AMD carving their own niche. Intel goofed when they screwed MS on the xbox.

I think you're thinking of Nvidia. Intel didn't screw Microsoft at any point...

I'm sure Intel would love the piece of the action but the bottom line is that I don't think this is worth Intel's time. They are also not as good as AMD in terms of cost and GPU embedded stuff so it makes sense for them to bow out.

Biggest loser here is Nvidia. Suck it N!

Because it's still weaker than the higher end i7 in my computer...

also, 2Ghz seems awfully slow...

AgentZorn said:
The PS4 is starting to sound expensive.

It'll be worth it, expecially considering the new exciting emotions they will be able to convey with this unbelievale tech. Forget new gameplay possibilities, this time around Sony is going for raw emotion.

Note: APU !=GPU

Around the Network
justinian said:

That's the way I interpeted it too, but see nothing wrong with this.

Sony (and I am sure MS) had an idea what they wanted and told AMD.

AMD then produced the product. It seems (as you pointed out) that Sony asked for more than AMD had bargained for but still manage to produce the goods.

The price is my biggest worry. I am stuck at the crossroads when it comes to console technology. I want more realistic graphics and AI but don't want Sony to pay the price of bad sales due to the high cost of the consoles.

I think that both worked together (AMD and Sony) but the project, design and manufacture is AMD responsibility. It's more like...

Sony: Do you have APU solution for my next console?
AMD: Yes... see that project.
Sony: But I have some specifics needs for consoles.
AMD: Tell me which and I will made the changes for you.
Sony: Cool. I will do some test.... wait this connection here is weak for what I need so you can change that and add that.
AMD: Of course... the new build.
Sony: Still needs something that my engineers found... added this in this place
AMD: Here a new build.
Sony: Now it's ok... that what I wanted.... thanks.

Of course, Sony tested the APU and give some hints about what they wanted, asked to AMD if is possible to add some others things, etc... but all the intellectual and hard works are made by AMD.

Sony bought the AMD APU custom solution.

Good.
New rumor suggests its clocked at 2Ghz.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

That...is great news for Sony.
This means it is rather "future proof" as it has tech in it that is simply not on the market, and won't be for some time. This will increase the consoles lifespan by some margin, though I'm guessing the price will be big too.

wvelting said:

Because it's still weaker than the higher end i7 in my computer...

also, 2Ghz seems awfully slow...

The i7 is a cpu, not an APU, and the Intel APU set is very poor compared to AMD's.

APUS are the future there is no bottle necks in the set up

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

maxnyc said:
AgentZorn said:
The PS4 is starting to sound expensive.

It'll be worth it, expecially considering the new exciting emotions they will be able to convey with this unbelievale tech. Forget new gameplay possibilities, this time around Sony is going for raw emotion.

It does not matter if its worth it. If the price is too high it could hurt Sony.