By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - AMD on ps4: "It is by Far The Most Powerful APU we Have Built to Date"

"Everything that Sony has shared in that single chip is AMD [intellectual property], but we have not built an APU quite like that for anyone else in the market. It is by far the most powerful APU we have built to date, it leverages [intellectual property] that you will find in our A-series APUs later this year, our new generation of APUs but none that will quite be to that level of sheer number of cores, sheer number of teraflops."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2250802/amd-to-sell-a-cut-down-version-of-sonys-playstation-4-apu

Around the Network

how the heck can this thing not be expensive?

Of course they would say this about their own product.

But seriously, I don't see this thing selling for below 499 unless Sony takes heavy losses.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Otakumegane said:
Of course they would say this about their own product.

But seriously, I don't see this thing selling for below 499 unless Sony takes heavy losses.

I agree, they are going to have to take some heavy losses on the cost or have it around 499 or more.. Which I doubt they will do again.  

That's hardly surprising. I'm guessing that it's mainly because of the GPU, though, 'cause I'm pretty sure their best APU on the market currently has a better CPU.

Around the Network

do i smell jacked up price

Better than nextbox confirmed!

JoeTheBro said:
Better than nextbox confirmed!

Not exactly. I don't think they were including as-of-yet unannounced hardware in that statement, and it's also possible that M$ is using the same APU. Heh.

I think it probably will be stronger than XB3, though.

The PS4 is starting to sound expensive.

It's already in my signature... EPIC!!!