By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - AMD on ps4: "It is by Far The Most Powerful APU we Have Built to Date"

Trunkin said:
JoeTheBro said:
Better than nextbox confirmed!

Not exactly. I don't think they were including as-of-yet unannounced hardware in that statement, and it's also possible that M$ is using the same APU. Heh.

I think it probably will be stronger than XB3, though.

They included APU to be released in Q3/Q4 2013.

Around the Network
Trunkin said:
That's hardly surprising. I'm guessing that it's mainly because of the GPU, though, 'cause I'm pretty sure their best APU on the market currently has a better CPU.

the ps4's is a specially modified version that this guy says is better

Trunkin said:
JoeTheBro said:

Not exactly. I don't think they were including as-of-yet unannounced hardware in that statement, and it's also possible that M$ is using the same APU. Heh.

I was under the impression that MS went with the Oban chip? Already decided, no?

theprof00 said:
Trunkin said:
JoeTheBro said:

I was under the impression that MS went with the Oban chip? Already decided, no?

Yeah, I just looked that up after posting. Pity, if it is indeed weaker than Sony's, but not too surprising, I guess.

I notice AMD did say that, with Sony's additions, this CPU is superior to their yet-to-be-released ones. They really went all out with this thing. :)

Why is it a T.V. manufacturer can design a CPU better than a CPU manufacturer?

Around the Network
TheKingofRedLions said:

how the heck can this thing not be expensive?

Remeber its only as expensive as AMD make it. sony just need negotiating skills

ethomaz said:
Trunkin said:
JoeTheBro said:

They included APU to be released in Q3/Q4 2013.

They did. My bad. I'm curious to see what price those APU's will be launching at; that could give us a better idea of how much Sony is paying for their parts.

I'm slowly starting to catch the "new console fever." I haven't felt this way since the 360 was announced back in 2005. >_<

No shit it's the most powerful APU they've built, just based on the graphics along on GDDR5 already blows anything they have out of the water on the consumer computing end lol.

Eh... that's nice and all, but AMD's APUs aren't really made for high power stuff. They're not usually made for high end gaming stuff. A gaming laptop will usually have a discrete graphics card. The PS4's APU is unique in having a pretty nice graphics card which alone makes it better than other APUs.

So, yeah. Cool, but APUs aren't really designed for high powered gaming, so this is hardly a surprise.

lol, it's a chip that's designed to derive power from the RAM, and the RAM is way beyond anything currently out, and probably holds up against anything in production.