By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EGM mocks Endless Ocean - instead of reviewing it

http://gonintendo.com/?p=34258

EGM did a ‘review’ of Endless Ocean. You can’t really call it a review though. They put the game in their review wrap-up section, which covers games that were ‘too late…or too little.’ Below is their review blurb, courtesy of the gang at NeoGAF. Review will be in bold.

Why isn’t it a game?

Endless Ocean gives you a sailboat and a stretch of the South Pacific to explore at 10 fathoms. What it doesn’t give you is danger, conflict, enemies, a story, obstacles a health bar, bosses… you know, game stuff. You don’t even have to worry about your air supply. Ever tried diving without an air guage? Diving’s a supersafe sport, but if you don’t follow a few simple rules, you could rupture your lungs or catch agonizing decompression sickness or just drift into a happy warm funk until you run out of air. I’m not saying EO needs to give players the bends, but it’d be nice if the occasional fish at least tried to eat you.

Wait, you mean the fish don’t bite?

Nope, not even when you chum the water and then reach out to pet them with your Wii remote. EO’s fauna - both the fish below and hte birds above the water - exist solely to satisfy your critter-molestation desires. It’s be like Mario going to the Mushroom Kingdom just to grope all the Goombas and the Koopas. At least the manta ray in Super Mario Galaxy will kill ya if you ride him wrong, for cryin’ out loud. Your goal here ultimately is to catalog as many fish as you can get in petting distance, stopping along the way to give dive tours to tourists who want in on the hot fin-petting action. And if that sounds more like work than a game, then bingo - That’s why EO kicks off our inaugural installment of Electronic Nongaming Monthly.

If I were to rate Endless Ocean on a scale between Biology Class and a night dive in the actual ocean, I’d give it ‘trip to Walmart’s aquarium isle’. - Crispin Boyer

An actual review would be nice, instead of just a mock article. I guess EGM is choosing to ignore the core crowd that actually enjoys this game. It’s been getting some great reviews, including the 8.0 at 1up. By the way, there is an air gauge as well.

Is this what the industry has come to?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

EGM is byfar the best video game media outlet of them all.

Maybe they really think the game is lame as shit?

IMO this game is made for senior citizens.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Well, some just don't seem able to appreciate casual games......Maybe the guy has an ocean phobia D: ?

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

I have ocean phobia....

God would I hate to be in the middle of the ocean with no boat.

ROFL

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

A game like that can be called a game, just because it is different and unique, loads of groundbreaking games have been unique...

Phoenix Wright
Brain training
Eternal darkness
just to name 3

Around the Network

It does seem pretty lame to me...looks nice and it might be interesting to explore...but poking random fish? No real danger from dangerous fish? Eh. Not realistic enough then.

But I'm not gonna force my opinion on others...it deserves fair reviews.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

ok the game isnt lame to me and i think we can call it a game it seems nice and fun

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I can care less about the game, but that article is unprofessional. "Professional" reviewers are becoming less and less revelant each year. People are going to buy games that interest them no matter what.

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

Wow, so instead of rating the game on what it actually is they just mock it? Amazing.

Just because there are no direct challenges doesn't mean it's not a game.

Trying to challenge yourself to do something and have fun doing it, instead of being handed a list of objectives, actually sounds like a pretty good evolution in gaming.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.