By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Eidos: next XBOX uses watermarked discs

Eidos president Ian Livingstone stated in his answer to the question of the possibility of a digital-only gaming landscape that the next XBOX may use different CD's. These CD's would be watermarked so that they won't work on another console.

Here is the full quote:

“With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another," Livingston said. "So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”

And source

Around the Network

Again, ouch if true.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

If true, Sony is going to gain a new PS4 customer.

I hate to reiterate that as I've already said that in another thread on vgc about this same quote, but:

the way he phrased it makes it sound like he is talking about rumours/hearsay and not about confirmed information to be honest

BasilZero said:

So watermarked means used games wont work?

Again like I said in another thread, the used game issue doesnt bother me..but the online all the time does >_>.

ditto.

Maybe 1% of all my games are used.  I also don't resell my games, so used games doesn't matter.

I hate online only games though.  Hell no better time than a time your internet and tv go out than to game.  But regardless I hate having to be online to play a game.  Pretty sure diablo fans already told the gaming world loud and clear that they hated this.

Around the Network

Already posted: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=155956&page=1

Lafiel said:
the way he phrased it makes it sound like he is talking about rumours/hearsay and not about confirmed information to be honest

Well only Microsoft themselves can confirm anything. But thats coming from Eidos. It could be true or false.

Darc Requiem said:
If true, Sony is going to gain a new PS4 customer.

Unless PS4 uses the same tech? After all its just BR discs and the pressure may be coming from publishers. Sony's last rumor on this stated that it may be up to the publishers and not enforced by Sony on all.

Will you go Wii U then?

EPIC FAIL!!

It's the dumbest thing a company can do.