By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Franchise Tier List (New Poll for Zelda tier)

Which Tier does Zelda belong in terms of sales? SS sold 4 million but HD Zelda on WiiU might sell more.

A-Tier 73 76.84%

B-Tier 20 21.05%

Total:93
AlphaCielago said:
I think that Pokémon should like Mario also be divided. The difference between the spin-offs and the main titles is way too big.

Right, I didn't catch that. Can you list some of them that comes to mind?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network
Otakumegane said:
S.Peelman said:
Isn't it fairer to set these by averages for last gen or something?

That way it eliminates a couple of unlucky placements. Because of the late release of the last Mario Party and Zelda, they now apparently have 'less' potential. The other way around, because Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus had a lucky high selling title last, they're higher than they should be.

Besides, if you only take the last game's entry in the series, the Wii series would only be C tier, as Wii Play Motion sold little over a million.

It's a little incomplete but but I'm basing it on either the lastest or upcoming MAJOR installment. So current selling rates and potential to sell in the future at this rate.

WiiU Sports and all that for Wii series. Fire Emblem is based on FE:Kakusei. Kid Icarus based on KI:U which is still selling. Wii series is indeed questionable all because it hasn't been doing AS well, but the Wii Sports and Resorts are little selling a little so until Wii U Sports comes out, it stays at S.

Fair enough, I agree with the Wii series' placement for now .

Still, that gives the discussion of 'what defines an expectation'. Given the context of these respective games' release, I would find it far more likely that a Mario Party 10 reaches 5m or a mainline Starfox 1m than a new Kid Icarus would 1m. Stricktly black/white considering current trends, the list is correct it seems though.

Otakumegane said:
AlphaCielago said:
I think that Pokémon should like Mario also be divided. The difference between the spin-offs and the main titles is way too big.

The two big ones are Explorers and Mystery Dungeon, there are plenty of others (Snap, Colesseum, Conquest, etc. but they usually don't do that well and/or get sequels - although several are awesome!)

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)

Otakumegane said:
AlphaCielago said:

As newwil said, Mystery Dungeon. However. that one is a hard one to crack. It's either B or C.

Then we have Ranger, where the first two titles got 2mil +, while the third got 1.22mil. This one would probably be C.

Pokemon Rumble/Scramble is another one and I would at D.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

SSJGohan3972 said:
Otakumegane said:
AlphaCielago said:

The two big ones are Explorers and Mystery Dungeon, there are plenty of others (Snap, Colesseum, Conquest, etc. but they usually don't do that well and/or get sequels - although several are awesome!)

I shall edit those in when I find the time.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

Eh. Fire Emblem has never sold a million. I would bump it down into D-tier, at least until Awakening hits the million mark.

Kirby has sold over 2 million as recently as 2008 with Super Star Ultra. I consider him B-tier.

Edit: Also what are you doing, Zelda is A-tier. Not even a question. Doesn't matter that it has only passed 5 mil three times, this is about sales potential and judging by Twilight Princess, Zelda clearly still has the potential to sell well into the 6-8 million range.

the_dengle said:

Eh. Fire Emblem has never sold a million. I would bump it down into D-tier, at least until Awakening hits the million mark.

Kirby has sold over 2 million as recently as 2008 with Super Star Ultra. I consider him B-tier.

2010 epic yarn sold less than 2 million. So did return to Dreamland. 

Awakening is for sure looking to pass the 1 million mark so it's C. The list is not only based on current figures but some guesses about the future thrown in as well.

Which is why Metroid is still C even after Other M because it's hinted that Retro might make another Metroid game and that will for sure pass 1 million.

Otakumegane said:
the_dengle said:

Awakening is for sure looking to pass the 1 million mark so it's C. The list is not only based on current figures but some guesses about the future thrown in as well.

Which is why Metroid is still C even after Other M because it's hinted that Retro might make another Metroid game and that will for sure pass 1 million.

Then it's all just speculation, not based on the history of the franchise or the actual sales potential of games. Meh.

the_dengle said:
Otakumegane said:
the_dengle said:

Then it's all just speculation, not based on the history of the franchise or the actual sales potential of games. Meh.

It's speculation + previous entry sales. That's why Zelda's at B cause of Skyward sword.

Miguel_Zorro said:

I'm having trouble distinguishing some of those Mario Games as entirely separate franchises. They are too split up now.   I see how Mario Kart and SSB are separate franchises, but many of the others should just be part of the "Super Mario" franchise.

I'll ask around, see if people prefer to keep the 2D and 3D mario plats seperate or just to label them both as "Mario platformer"