By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - These forums will be hilarious if Next Xbox is more powerful than PS4

Would the meltdowns be epic?

Yes 237 59.25%

No 107 26.75%

Maybe 53 13.25%

Total:397
JayWood2010 said:
Chark said:
JayWood2010 said:

I'm not sure how much memory the OS will need to run.  2GB is reserved for the OS, I'm almost positive of this, but if you want to wait for confirmation on that you can, but that will likely be the number.  The 2-4 left over will be to run the games if i didnt explain that.  Dont look at this as a bad thing as the OS is very important and it is a good thing that they invested in a good OS because we all know MSFT might be heading towards a W8 like OS.

I'm confused again? 2+2-4 = 4-6

2GB - OS
2GB - GPU
4GB - Dedicated Memory

This is pretty inaccurate. Unified memory is gonna look more like1GB-Os7GB to be shared between graphics and CPU.Im really not sure where you got this idea from since the PS3 was unshared memory where half was dedicated to the CPU and the other half to the GPU.SHared memory means just that the memory pool is shared for graphic tasks and cpu tasks there will be no dedicated memory for the GPU as in a desktop PC.
Also the developers who have spoken about the ps4 have said that 1gb or less will be used for the OS not 2gb.THe xbox 720 has been rumored to use up to 3gb of memory for the OS cause of how much memory  kinect needs, PS4 does not have those requirements. Remember the ps3 used something like 48mb for its OS why do u think the ps4 is gonna need 2gb?You need to stop stating this as if it is fact when developers have said otherwise

Around the Network

ok lets say it is more powerfull, so your paying for an even bigger increase in RAM, Possibly bluray or another media format (definitely not DVD) and then pay for your xbox live on top of that....mmmmmmm expensive.com

sanabago21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
Chark said:
JayWood2010 said:

I'm not sure how much memory the OS will need to run.  2GB is reserved for the OS, I'm almost positive of this, but if you want to wait for confirmation on that you can, but that will likely be the number.  The 2-4 left over will be to run the games if i didnt explain that.  Dont look at this as a bad thing as the OS is very important and it is a good thing that they invested in a good OS because we all know MSFT might be heading towards a W8 like OS.

I'm confused again? 2+2-4 = 4-6

2GB - OS
2GB - GPU
4GB - Dedicated Memory

This is pretty inaccurate. Unified memory is gonna look more like1GB-Os7GB to be shared between graphics and CPU.Im really not sure where you got this idea from since the PS3 was unshared memory where half was dedicated to the CPU and the other half to the GPU.SHared memory means just that the memory pool is shared for graphic tasks and cpu tasks there will be no dedicated memory for the GPU as in a desktop PC.
Also the developers who have spoken about the ps4 have said that 1gb or less will be used for the OS not 2gb.THe xbox 720 has been rumored to use up to 3gb of memory for the OS cause of how much memory  kinect needs, PS4 does not have those requirements. Remember the ps3 used something like 48mb for its OS why do u think the ps4 is gonna need 2gb?You need to stop stating this as if it is fact when developers have said otherwise

why are you comparing the PS3 OS to the PS4 OS.  Completely different entities.   I'll be shocked if the PS4's OS doesn't have 2GB reserved.  It may be lower but I doubt that it will.  A lot of the things they was talking about in that conference will take up a lot of memory like streaming or recording.  Also they are now using multitasking are they not?  That also uses memory.  

As far as the GPU and Dedicated Memory those two could possibly be changed around depending on the developes but No matter what they have to use memory for the GPU using that 6gb of memory.

KBG29 said:
OP:

Whether the XB3 has the specs rumored or they rebuild it to be faster the difference will be very small. We are talking even harder to see than the PS3 vs the 360. With where graphics are for these consoles it would take major advantages to actually make a difference.

To me the higher the baseline for development, the happier I am. That means more room for PC devs to stretch their legs, and that makes me happy.

@JayWood2010

I am really confused at what you are trying to say with the RAM. 360 had the same unified RAM set up, and the OS had 32MB reserved during gameplay. That left the CPU and GPU to share the remaining 470MB any way a developer saw fit. The GPU had 12MB of dedicated embedded RAM.

With the PS4 I think Sony wants full access to the OS at all times, and that would be why it may take as much as 2GB. That however, would be the limit for the OS during gameplay. The other 6GB would available to developers to split between the CPU and GPU exclusively for the game features any way they want. All the streaming, cross game chat, Share features, and the lot would be part of that 2GB reserved for the OS.

You got that correct.  

The 6GB memory will be split through hardware as  the developers choose.  It isn't just dedicated memory.  That's all I'm Saying.  A lot of people seem to think all 8Gb is for dedicated memory but that isnt true.  If that was true then you would have 0Gb for both the GPU and OS.    The RAM in this case is sharing memory with everything else. 

BenVTrigger said:

Because you are looking at this rationally.

I have litteraly seen people in this forum saying the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM alone will cause the PS4 to crush the next Xbox.  It woukd just funny to see the reactions if the tables turned.  We are at the start of a new gen so no matter what there are epic meltdowns coming

Examples?

Around the Network

I think you greatly overestimate how much people actually care about the amount of RAM inside a console.

There would be no meltdowns if the NextBox had more than 8GB GDDR5 RAM, because that would be a ridiculous waste of money and resources. Even 8GB is pushing into the realms of absurdity.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
I think you greatly overestimate how much people actually care about the amount of RAM inside a console.

There would be no meltdowns if the NextBox had more than 8GB GDDR5 RAM, because that would be a ridiculous waste of money and resources. Even 8GB is pushing into the realms of absurdity.

To play the devil's advocate though, I do think people do care about numbers, and if their console has bigger numbers than the other consoles. But then you have to take into account there's many fucking numbers:

Price

Number of exclusives

Dates

etc

And yeah, I have no idea what RAM really does. I think it's the memory that actually stores and runs the applications? I mean, there's a reason why I'm a console gamer...

Akvod said:
Kantor said:

To play the devil's advocate though, I do think people do care about numbers, and if their console has bigger numbers than the other consoles. But then you have to take into account there's many fucking numbers:

Price

Number of exclusives

Dates

etc

And yeah, I have no idea what RAM really does. I think it's the memory that actually stores and runs the applications? I mean, there's a reason why I'm a console gamer...

That's true, up to a limit, but increasing the one number (RAM) will also increase another number (price) whose increase is considerably less popular.

RAM is where applications are run, yes. When you see a loading screen, that's the game data being transferred from the hard disk/blu-ray to the RAM, to put it simply. The more RAM, the better the game will run, that's all that really matters.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Akvod said:
Kantor said:

Price

Number of exclusives

Dates

etc

RAM temporarily stores parts of the game and OS. The more RAM you have the more you can store at a particular time.

Akvod said:
Kantor said:

Price

Number of exclusives

Dates

etc

Don't forget  how much money shareholders are getting that gamers will not likely see direct benefit too.  That seems to be a new metric around in the console war (for gamers to care so much) especially with one fanbase.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.