By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Have nintendo really lost the casuals?

Tagged games:

Have they?

Yes 91 44.83%

Nope 46 22.66%

Maaaaayyybeeee 52 25.62%

Results 14 6.90%

Total:203
Paquito said:
Who cares???

Around the Network

they wanted both casual and hardcore gamers not just one or the other

anyway it is too early to tell right now as the right games don't exist yet

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Yes, Nintendo has lost the casuals but it's not like anyone else has them. They've (for the most part) moved past console gaming and handheld gaming. They linger between the occasional Iphone/Android game that all the other casuals are playing (Temple Run, Ruzzle, Angry Birds new installments) and I'd personally say Kinect (since that was probably the last real explosion of casuals playing a console game). In my opinion, the casuals are currently up for grabs. Just depends who makes something that they will be interested in, first.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Ok sure...they need a gimmick that the casuals havent tried yet. The Wii U is a more complex gaming tablet with intergrated features. Casuals want simple, then they want games. The Wii gave them that and Nintendo made that a secondary option instead of making the Wii U the Wii HD.

By making the WiiMotes available for use on the Wii the Casuals should feel at home. Plus, the Wii U Gamepad is not a complex thing to get used to.

Nintendo will very hesitantly price drop the Wii U. Doing so means Iwata giving up on his profit goals for the year. So for this whole year, forget about any Wii U price cuts until maybe towards the very end. (October-December)

Around the Network
Roar_Of_War said:

Nintendo will very hesitantly price drop the Wii U. Doing so means Iwata giving up on his profit goals for the year. So for this whole year, forget about any Wii U price cuts until maybe towards the very end. (October-December)

They might bundle it with wii fit u for a regular price of a basic set, without balance board.

The Nintendo fans sound like Ps3 fans at the begining.

"Sales will pick up after X"
"Sales will pick up after Y"
"Sales will pick up after Z"

The fact of the matter is if you are relying on a game you will be sorely dissapointed. Even GTA4 didn't do much for the Ps3. Even MGS4 didn't do much for the Ps3. GTA sells as much as Nintendos best franchises. MGS sells a little less but is still a massive seller.

If you are relying on a price drop you will be dissapointed. The Wii U isn't unaffordable. A price drop will help like the first one helped the Ps3. However, in the Ps3's case it still had a high price point and could look forward to price reduction again. Nintendo is already losing money on the Wii U. One thing Nintendo isn't as good as Sony with is reducing costs of their system. Why? because they already use cheap components that have little room for getting cheaper. As time drags on they will get cheaper but definatly not at the same pace as new technology. So they drop the price of the Wii U... I think they will drop the price but I think the price reduction will be more than the cost reduction. Then when will they be able to drop it again?

Okay, let's say that a price reduction and games do something unprecedented. MGS4 increased sales by 141%. GTA increased it by 80%. 299 price point increased it by 80% the 499 pice point increased it by 52%. We also know that no one thing really sustained sales. But lets pretend that everything works out for the Wii U. It gets a measly 50 dollar drop and somehow attracts people. Let's say Mario releases and it attracts people. Okay, let's say it gets a bigger increase than anything the Ps3 recieved AND it sustains sales.... well, the best we are looking at is still someting under 100k a week.

IsawYoshi said:
Paquito said:
Who cares???

I hate when people ask that question. We're on a sales site for a reason!

I don't think they LOST them... I just think that the casuals haven't adopted the Wii U yet. Give Nintendo time to release causal games like Wii Fit U, Wii U Party and a few others that really show off what the gamepad can do. Once the family gets together to play, then the casuals will return. Besides, casuals are always looking for a new quick and fun experience... they aren't loyal to anything but fun.

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

There are a few things that can be done.
1. Advertise the console. The current marketing plan is horrendous.
2. Start a viral campaign for Wii Fit U.
3. Make a commercial that actually gets the message across. Like those quirky award-winning "Wii Would Like to Play" slices of brilliance.
4. Heck just make a sequel to those commercials. "Wii Would Like to Play With U"

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero