By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 4 running on PC looks better than PS4

Navane said:

PS4 screen shot.

http://www.zonared.com/images/capturas/26700/26782_unreal-engine-4-para-playstation-4.jpg

PC screen shot.

http://media.gamer.nl/site/dump/20120517171736-1_g.jpg

I dunno about you, but either UE4 running on PS4 was a quick rush job, or the PS4 simply can't hand UE4's full graphics feature set.

You're comparing a hd video stream capture, to a PC screen shot which has been reduced from it's original size (compressing details), for a development version of UE4 that, at the time of being made, targeted the PS4 build expecting only 4gb total memory, on top of this the engine has not been optimized.

And last but not least theres 9 months difference between both builds, so textures, geometry and post processing effects may well be different, the PC versions clearly utilizing depth of field amd has weather particle effects enabled, either way these are just tech demos for tech that (as recent as the 'reveal' were not even finalized as far as developers were concerned.

Around the Network

I just have to throw this out: Do we actually have some mentally retarded people in VGC who believe it's reasonable for a console that costs approximately the SAME price as a high end VGA card to produce the same visuals right off the bat; first attempts from developers on a new hardware platform?

Looking at those 2 screens im not sure i agree.

The PC version seems to have snowing effects on top of it, but the PS4 one seems to have better lighting.

It's other demo... not the same... even the castle is different... he pictures are in different angles too.

There are somethings better on PS4 shot... antd there are sometings better on PC shot... overall it's close with slight advantage for the PC.

Like I said the PS4 with a mid-range GPU can to graphics like top GPU in PC due optimizations and code to metal without the weight of APIs like DirectX/OpenGL or OS drivers.

The PS4 version looks better to me. The only thing that looks worse is the particle effects compared to the PC version. Who knows whether or not the tech video they displayed just had less particle effects added into it? Maybe there is the possibility of more particle effects and it just wasn't implemented in that scene.  Also seems there's no snowstorm going on the PS4 version right now.  You can't really judge the PS4 based on a tech demo that's different than the original release.

Textures on the PS4 version of the video look better.

Here's the source material btw.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/unreal-engine-4-not-as-impressive-on-ps4-as-on-pc-comparison-between-elemental-pc-ps4-demos/

Around the Network
Darkjor said:

We´re entering the era of diminishing return, where you need a lot more processing power (and money) than before, to produce a similar jump in the quality of the graphics. The ps4 specs are in reality in the range of a mid-tier pc of today.

I'd say low high end myself. :)

Not bad for $400-$500, an equivalent PC would cost roughly double that.

kupomogli said:

The PS4 version looks better to me. The only thing that looks worse is the particle effects compared to the PC version. Who knows whether or not the tech video they displayed just had less particle effects added into it? Maybe there is the possibility of more particle effects and it just wasn't implemented in that scene.  Also seems there's no snowstorm going on the PS4 version right now and time of day seems different.  You can't really judge the PS4 based on a tech demo that's different than the original release.

Here's the source material btw.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/unreal-engine-4-not-as-impressive-on-ps4-as-on-pc-comparison-between-elemental-pc-ps4-demos/

The PS360 doing better partical effects than in that demo?

Uh...no. 

I don't know why people tell me to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have lots of lives!

Munkeh111 said:
Navane said:
Proclus said:
err.. duh? You expected Epic Games to show of UE4 on pc with specs not able to fully show of the engine features?

True, but it was supposed to be running on a single GTX 680. The PS4 with its 8GB of GDDR5 RAM is supposed be as powerful, if not more.

No, I'm not sure it can quite get upto a 680 power wise. With optimisation it probably could, but they haven't really had enough time to optimise

It'll be no where near a 680 (Or a 670).  Optimizing probably won't do much when the GPU is roughly 80% more powerful in comparison. 

pc will always be more powerful than a console. ironically as powerful as everyone got giddy about the ps4. ubisoft is already ready to get rid the upcoming gen lol...

by the end of the next gen 16g or ram will be in the lowest end $299 computer

PC shot looks a better but I haven't seen any games on any platform that look as good as the PS4 shot... and this is what they're getting out of it with half the RAM and before they've had extensive experience with the hardware.