By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - John Carmack, Frostbite 2 tech director, Crytek, and Gearbox endorse PS4 spec

Epic was really excited for the specs also

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Carl2291 said:
Its just like they looked at the PS3, saw everything that developers hated about it... And kicked it right it the nuts.

PS4 is possibly the most dev-friendly platform that isnt PC. Can only be good news. Cant wait to see what they can do in 2-3 Years time.

I think Dreamcast will forever hold this title. I mean, the thing was built using Windows and every developer pretty much maxed it out on day 1... Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure...etc.

Windows? Does that mean everyone was using whatever DirectX version was out at the time (5.2?). The trick with the consoles is to eliminate the overhead form these graphical APIs and them to write code that runs optimally on the given fixed hardware. To have that achieved "day 1" sounds implausible. Maybe the thing was powerful enough that it didn't need much of the above to still produce the best at the time?

Like I said before Sony create a machine for Developers and fullfill it with features for every kind of gamer.

Sony is playing the dominate the game industry by the book... no single minstake for now.

I am not surprised. It's basically a mid range PC as it stands (maybe even a decent one, but definitely mid/low-mid by the time it comes out). I am even willing to bet that it has so much RAM in the first place is so it can run the OS and the other random crap in the background.... like a PC. Honestly, given the architecture, any reason why a game is on a PS4 and not a PC is publisher politics and nothing else.

Which explains Carmack, he knows how to do PC very well.

Edit: I just realized that making an emulator for this will be supr easy. Maybe just so much as a recompile and very few tweaks and done. This is super exciting.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Sounds like Sony has all the support from 3rd parties they need.

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
I am not surprised. It's basically a mid range PC as it stands (maybe even a decent one, but definitely mid/low-mid by the time it comes out). I am even willing to bet that it has so much RAM in the first place is so it can run the OS and the other random crap in the background.... like a PC. Honestly, given the architecture, any reason why a game is on a PS4 and not a PC is publisher politics and nothing else.

A high end pc let alone a midrange one cannot display the PS4 graphics, PS4 is highly optimized because its a fixed platform. We have these discussions every gen, try playing games like Uncharted 3 on a pc with comparable specs to PS3.  8GB GDDR5 ram means amazing textures and detail, expect the high end pcs playing catchup to the PS4 for atleast 18 months when PS4 comes out.

Turkish said:
vlad321 said:

A high end pc let alone a midrange one cannot display the PS4 graphics, PS4 is highly optimized because its a fixed platform. We have these discussions every gen, try playing games like Uncharted 3 on a pc with comparable specs to PS3.  8GB GDDR5 ram means amazing textures and detail, expect the high end pcs playing catchup to the PS4 for atleast 18 months when PS4 comes out.

Funny thing about optimization. People only do it if they need it. If you are tight on resources, yeah, sure. I don't know if you looked at the UE4 demo, but the PS4 looked down right bad compared to the PC one. That ran on a single GTX680, if I'm not mistaken, and at this point that's a "decent" PC, no longer high end ever since a few days ago and Titan. Currently I can make a PC that will be able to play ALL games that come out during the PS4 generation (depending on how the next Xbox is) for about $1k-$1.5k. I may be actually overestimating. Sure it costs a bit more, but keep in mind the PC can do SO MUCH MORE than a console could ever even dream of, so that kinda comes with the price. About 6 months after the PS4, it will cost somewhere  the $800s range probably.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Turkish said:
vlad321 said:

Funny thing about optimization. People only do it if they need it. If you are tight on resources, yeah, sure. I don't know if you looked at the UE4 demo, but the PS4 looked down right bad compared to the PC one. That ran on a single GTX680, if I'm not mistaken, and at this point that's a "decent" PC, no longer high end ever since a few days ago and Titan. Currently I can make a PC that will be able to play ALL games that come out during the PS4 generation (depending on how the next Xbox is) for about $1k-$1.5k. I may be actually overestimating. Sure it costs a bit more, but keep in mind the PC can do SO MUCH MORE than a console could ever even dream of, so that kinda comes with the price. About 6 months after the PS4, it will cost somewhere  the $800s range probably.

Wrong. The UE4 demo on PS4 looks way better than the one on pc: PC top, PS4  bottom:

The funny thing is this was in all likelihood possible with just 4GB GDDR5 ram, PS4 will have double the amount. If OS takes 2GB away, the system will have 6GB for games.

PC will play catchup with PS4 until top of the line 2015-2016 gpus come out. There is simply nothing like it on pcs right now.

Turkish said:
vlad321 said:
Turkish said:
vlad321 said:

Wrong. The UE4 demo on PS4 looks way better than the one on pc: PC top, PS4  bottom:

The funny thing is this was in all likelihood possible with just 4GB GDDR5 ram, PS4 will have double the amount. If OS takes 2GB away, the system will have 6GB for games.

PC will play catchup with PS4 until top of the line 2015-2016 gpus come out. There is simply nothing like it on pcs right now.

Now I know you have serious problems with this. Let me point the ways by looking at the pictures.

1) Depth of Field. It is not even existent on the PS4.

2) Particles. There isn't even snow in the PS4 version. The flaming rock looks like sometihng from back in UT2004.

3) Textures. Look at his armor. Look at the ground. Look at the arch behind him.

Honeslty, it all comes together to look like the bottom image is a cinematic form Diablo 1.

Edit: This is not a case of "graphics are subjective," these are very hard, measureable technologies that are lacking in the PS4 version. I am willing ot accept that some poor bastard got the shot end of the stick at Epic and did the port in 2 days.

vlad321 said:

Edit: I just realized that making an emulator for this will be supr easy. Maybe just so much as a recompile and very few tweaks and done. This is super exciting.

Not really.  The original XBOX ran in X86 architecture and its emulators can barely run any game.