By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Touchpad vs. Touchscreen? Sony FTW

dharh said:
happydolphin said:
dharh said:

I really don't like zombie games, so take that bias into account. I tried ZombiU, and of course not really digging the zombie stuff, did not find any gameplay elements that could not have been done 100% on the screen. The touchpad stuff was ok, but again could have been done with your eyes completely on screen. I myself have pretty good spatial muscle memory, but for those that don't you could easily do a cursor on screen that appears when you put your index finger on the gamepad to navigate the on TV screen inventory then double tap when you have the cursor on the item you want to equip. All in all I was not really impressed with ZombiU, not just in terms of the zombie stuff, but the added gamepad gameplay didn't really seem useful or worth it.

The other issue is almost every single genre I like to play works much better with pause than without. The non-pause inventory/status screen doesn't add any enhanced gameplay to the games I like to play.

I get the fact that Nintendo wants asymmetric gameplay to be a key feature. Problem is that is a feature I don't need or want and I think could have been achieved with heavy integration with the 3DS. I do also see the flaws in that, it would mean a signifigant number of Wii U's without a 3DS, thus developers would not target it nearly as much. So I get it, but it again means that Wii U is practically a non-buy for me.

That's a good point, but why use a cursor when you can simply tap the icon of the item you want without having to direct a cursor?

Only because I still prefer not looking down then back up. I just don't see the value. I don't even gain any signifigant time since over the method I described. I have never seen the value in two screens. I still didn't like the second screen on the DS for that reason as well and it had more reasons to exist (I own a DS).

I could understand that you don't like Zombie games, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the touchscreen capabilities of the gamepad made ZombiU a very good game. I own RE6 as well, and after beating ZombiU I went back to playing RE6 and the game felt very boring and generic, and possibly will neverr finish it or play it again, because it feels like a monumental step backwards.

ZombiU created a constant amount of tension by forcing you to look at the gamepad to select your inventory. This was much more thrilling than pausing the action, selecting the best weapon, and off loading on a zombie. The fact that ZombiU forced you to look down and frantically search trough your stuff without a break in the action was excellent game desing, which was made possible only by the touchscreen interface of the gamepad. You aboluutely cannot do the same with just a touchpad.

Simple fact is that a game like ZombiU (and hopefully more like it) cannot be made on any console except the WiiU.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
dharh said:

And i'm saying I would never consider even conceiving of such a thing. I do not game on laptops. Desktop PC all the way, every day. I would not even consider using a laptop keyboard for gaming. Get real.

For day to day use of normal OS usage, browsing, etc. The touchpad works just fine. 

For consoles though, we have a mostly traditional controller with all the buttons and analog sticks in the right place, with a touchpad for _added_ but not primary use in gaming and OS navigation.

Oh ok, good.  Was worried for a second you were somehow delusional and preffered gaming with a touch pad.

But the only thing I can see the touch pad doing on the ps4 wil be for zooming in on things.  I mean the joysticks can go up and down or left right and navigate the screen good enough.  But the touchpad woudl help with pinching or stretching out the image.  Though seems like something could be just done with L or R trigger to zoom in or out.

But we'll see.  My problem isn't the touch pad, its that I have no idea why its there.  Sony spent 2 hours and not once brought up a reason for it.  THey never used it, ect.  Thus its left all to speculation on our parts on how it could help or is a pointless expense. 

Actually they used it for The Witness game. But other than that yes, it wasn't showcased as some new input for all the games.

My problem with the analog sticks and triggers for OS navigation is that it tends to be slow and feels unnatural compared to what im used to now with my phones, tablets, and laptops. It seems like a natural evolution for people used to that kind of thing. 

The expense is minimal. If it had been a screen id see where you are coming from, but I expect the controller to be the same price or only slightly higher than the DS3. Obviously we will have to see, but so far I am very happy with the controller, which was my biggest worry since seeing the monstrosity that is the Wii U Gamepad.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

happydolphin said:
Ughhhh...

i find myself doing this allot these days but THIS

the only thing i faut ninty on if (las i checked) there screen not being multitouch.

dharh said:
irstupid said:
dharh said:

And i'm saying I would never consider even conceiving of such a thing. I do not game on laptops. Desktop PC all the way, every day. I would not even consider using a laptop keyboard for gaming. Get real.

For day to day use of normal OS usage, browsing, etc. The touchpad works just fine. 

For consoles though, we have a mostly traditional controller with all the buttons and analog sticks in the right place, with a touchpad for _added_ but not primary use in gaming and OS navigation.

Oh ok, good.  Was worried for a second you were somehow delusional and preffered gaming with a touch pad.

But the only thing I can see the touch pad doing on the ps4 wil be for zooming in on things.  I mean the joysticks can go up and down or left right and navigate the screen good enough.  But the touchpad woudl help with pinching or stretching out the image.  Though seems like something could be just done with L or R trigger to zoom in or out.

But we'll see.  My problem isn't the touch pad, its that I have no idea why its there.  Sony spent 2 hours and not once brought up a reason for it.  THey never used it, ect.  Thus its left all to speculation on our parts on how it could help or is a pointless expense. 

Actually they used it for The Witness game. But other than that yes, it wasn't showcased as some new input for all the games.

My problem with the analog sticks and triggers for OS navigation is that it tends to be slow and feels unnatural compared to what im used to now with my phones, tablets, and laptops. It seems like a natural evolution for people used to that kind of thing. 

The expense is minimal. If it had been a screen id see where you are coming from, but I expect the controller to be the same price or only slightly higher than the DS3. Obviously we will have to see, but so far I am very happy with the controller, which was my biggest worry since seeing the monstrosity that is the Wii U Gamepad.

I guessed they might have used it for that game if any.

I didn't get that game.  WHy did they take the route they did to complete a puzzle.  IT looked like it was a random maze and they took a random route out of many possibles to reach the end and complete it. 

I'm sure it explains it better when playing, but watching the trailer of it with no prior knowledge of the game and it just confused the hell out of me.  WOuld have been nice if they did a 5 minute demo of one of the puzzles, before the big trailer.

DaRev said:
dharh said:

Only because I still prefer not looking down then back up. I just don't see the value. I don't even gain any signifigant time since over the method I described. I have never seen the value in two screens. I still didn't like the second screen on the DS for that reason as well and it had more reasons to exist (I own a DS).

I could understand that you don't like Zombie games, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the touchscreen capabilities of the gamepad made ZombiU a very good game. I own RE6 as well, and after beating ZombiU I went back to playing RE6 and the game felt very boring and generic, and possibly will neverr finish it or play it again, because it feels like a monumental step backwards.

ZombiU created a constant amount of tension by forcing you to look at the gamepad to select your inventory. This was much more thrilling than pausing the action, selecting the best weapon, and off loading on a zombie. The fact that ZombiU forced you to look down and frantically search trough your stuff without a break in the action was excellent game desing, which was made possible only by the touchscreen interface of the gamepad. You aboluutely cannot do the same with just a touchpad.

Simple fact is that a game like ZombiU (and hopefully more like it) cannot be made on any console except the WiiU.

If it wasn't already apparent I rarely at all play games that are not RPGs and those few action RPGs that I play generally have fast inventory switching that negate needing anything like the Gamepad for doing inventory stuff. I distinctly want the game to pause when I do inventory stuff, especially considering an RPGs inventory tends to end up with 1000s of items to navigate through compared to maybe a dozen or couple dozen a game like ZombiU gets.

I disagree that ZombiU can't be made on PS4 and/or X720. It would be different, but the on screen inventory, while action is live could still happen.

Imagine playing the game, a zombie is lurching at you, you've need to switch a weapon or whatever, touch the pad, inventory comes up, you move your finger to the right item, release, item is equiped or item is used. Game was never paused and you never looked away from the screen. Yet the screen was 'covered' up to keep that rush you like.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

Smells like me2 Sony again

Remember the sixaxis 

Deyon said:
happydolphin said:

Seriously dude, zip it. There's been enough trolling on these forums I think it's right about time it starts to get back in order.

I didn't troll anything, I didn't even say that.

I was quoting the OP.

Some people in the forums are quite testy today, so watch out for friendly fire lol

irstupid said:
dharh said:

I guessed they might have used it for that game if any.

I didn't get that game.  WHy did they take the route they did to complete a puzzle.  IT looked like it was a random maze and they took a random route out of many possibles to reach the end and complete it. 

I'm sure it explains it better when playing, but watching the trailer of it with no prior knowledge of the game and it just confused the hell out of me.  WOuld have been nice if they did a 5 minute demo of one of the puzzles, before the big trailer.

I agree. It was a poor demo of the game. I think they wanted to show the puzzle input using the touchpad so much they forgot to talk about the actual game itself and how each puzzle connect to another. What it looked like to me is that you get solve a bunch of small puzzles and then get clues or use those solutions to solve even greater puzzles, but I can't be sure cause they didn't show it well.

dharh said:
DaRev said:
dharh said:

If it wasn't already apparent I rarely at all play games that are not RPGs and those few action RPGs that I play generally have fast inventory switching that negate needing anything like the Gamepad for doing inventory stuff. I distinctly want the game to pause when I do inventory stuff, especially considering an RPGs inventory tends to end up with 1000s of items to navigate through compared to maybe a dozen or couple dozen a game like ZombiU gets.

I disagree that ZombiU can't be made on PS4 and/or X720. It would be different, but the on screen inventory, while action is live could still happen.

Imagine playing the game, a zombie is lurching at you, you've need to switch a weapon or whatever, touch the pad, inventory comes up, you move your finger to the right item, release, item is equiped or item is used. Game was never paused and you never looked away from the screen. Yet the screen was 'covered' up to keep that rush you like.

OK I take your point. But that doesn't deny the fact that it was done right on the gamepad

DaRev said:
dharh said:

OK I take your point. But that doesn't deny the fact that it was done right on the gamepad

I'll never deny that for people that love that stuff Nintendo tends to do it right.

I hated the WiiMote stuff, even after trying so many different games, yet there is no denying that the Wii was a massive success.