By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Goal Post Chartz (data through June 14th, 2014)

kitler53 said:

Xbox one

kitler53 said:

PS4

Sexy next gen charts are sexy - is fappable.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
chocoloco said:
Yo, Kitler your brethren are looking for an update.

yeah, sorry.   i ended up quiting my job a few weeks ago and i did all my posting from my work computer because i had easy ways to screen cap my graphs.  i still have the numbers but my home computer has no image software other than in MS Paint.  just started my new job today actually and am suppose to get my new work computer tommorrow.   really hoping to update everything tommorrow night depending on what software i have availible to me.

Hey, good luck with the important stuff like making a living dude. If you can do what you did it will be appreciated. Hope the new job works out great.

chocoloco said:
Yo, Kitler your brethren are looking for an update.

big update:

A) new data though Nov 23rd (almost 6 months of new data,..  not that wiiU,vita,3DS have been very interesting these last months)

B) new xbone chartz

C) new ps4 chartz

D) home console chartz updated to include ps4 and xbone

E) 3DS/vita YoY chartz.  WiiU just crossed the 1 year mark in the US so i'll add that YoY chart soon too.

F) new formating on the competition chartz.   "next gen" solid lines and "last gen" and each manufacture has a specified color (ps3/ps4 both red).  makes glancing the chartz a bit easier imo.

G) dedicated photobucket account for this thread so hopefully bandwidth caps aren't met anymore.

i'll get to ps4/xbone chartz sooner than later for a while (weekly i hope).  might not update wiiU/vita/3DS soo much just to keep things timely.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

OT: ps4 and xbone have huuuge launches relative to last gen.  looking that home console chart in the USA the launches are more than double last gen. 0.o

MH/pokemon has stopped the bleeding for 3DS.  it's selling on par with the DS at this same time (technically outselling ever so slightly) and the holidays are just about to kick off.

vita/wiiU,...  bleh.

Thanks Kitler. Really interesting :)

This is going to take me some time to totally analyze but my first impression is how beastly the PS4 is doing. More people should see this so I will give this bump for now.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:

As we all know, the measure of success is relative to prior performance (is that BS?!?  meh, either way it is a fun way to look at the data).  so I've gathered here a set of "goal post" chartz comparing the success of the emerging gen to that of the previous gen.  I'm not going to sit here and lecture you about what the numbers mean, that not my style.  i'll let you carry on your own discussion.  I just wanted to have actual data...  you know, like we did before all the tools were removed from this site. 

What are you talking about? They're still here. HAR HAR HAR.

Cool graphs.

I really see a difference in some holiday boosts this year. All the consoles from last year had bigger holiday boosts then Wii U did this year.

This update though is one that looks positive. The PS4 and X1 look like they are keeping the industry alive and relevant in terms of new hardware. Believing that the PS4 can continue to sell better then the Wii is unlikely, but I can predict that the X1 and PS4 together can keep pace or out pace Wii sales. A very big hope for me especially If one can do it alone like the PS4 has even better for the industry.

Handhelds drop is slightly pleasing I suspect it is a drop caused by greater competition from other tech that provides games. This "competition," is a good thing to me as I think it will lead to more variety in games.

chocoloco said:
I really see a difference in some holiday boosts this year. All the consoles from last year had bigger holiday boosts then Wii U did this year.

This update though is one that looks positive. The PS4 and X1 look like they are keeping the industry alive and relevant in terms of new hardware. Believing that the PS4 can continue to sell better then the Wii is unlikely, but I can predict that the X1 and PS4 together can keep pace or out pace Wii sales. A very big hope for me especially If one can do it alone like the PS4 has even better for the industry.

Handhelds drop is slightly pleasing I suspect it is a drop caused by greater competition from other tech that provides games. This "competition," is a good thing to me as I think it will lead to more variety in games.

the HH graphs only go through week ~95 because vita lags though.  if you look up at the 3DS graph at week 95 it's still almost even with DS but really starts to fall off around week 100.   so when you see a "mere" 25% HH contraction you've got to remember that the 25% contraction is purely from psp/psvita lag (which is more than 25%).    when 3DS's contraction kicks in (~15% so far) with vita's massive contraction (~66% i think) the overall HH contraction will average out to something like 35-40%.   Not, imo, healthy or competitive.  basically, we went from a world where we could have 2 viable handheld platforms (1 phenomenal, 1 decent) to a world where we can have 1 viable handheld platform (1 decent).

ps4/xbone has a great start but 2 datapoints to not make up a trend...

kitler53 said:
chocoloco said:

the HH graphs only go through week ~95 because vita lags though.  if you look up at the 3DS graph at week 95 it's still almost even with DS but really starts to fall off around week 100.   so when you see a "mere" 25% HH contraction you've got to remember that the 25% contraction is purely from psp/psvita lag (which is more than 25%).    when 3DS's contraction kicks in (~15% so far) with vita's massive contraction (~66% i think) the overall HH contraction will average out to something like 35-40%.   Not, imo, healthy or competitive.  basically, we went from a world where we could have 2 viable handheld platforms (1 phenomenal, 1 decent) to a world where we can have 1 viable handheld platform (1 decent).

ps4/xbone has a great start but 2 datapoints to not make up a trend...

The DS was phenominal, yes, but it is very probable it came close to hitting the glass ceiling in terms of popularity in the countries it was sold to. This could also be applied to the more expensive platform in the PS portables. I am not as convinced as some people seem to be that the market will nor, could grow forever in the countries they were being sold to. Basically, because there are too many unique platforms now. And unlike others I do not necissarily think it a bad thing, mostly an evolution in the way people play more often.

Yeah, I had to remark about PS4 aand X1 mainly because it is encourging for those companies. I hold back most judgement for a least 6 months. Kind of makes sense why updating this is not worth doing too often.

That will be an interesting thread to watch. Keep up the good work, and keep it updated.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates