By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Goal Post Chartz (data through June 14th, 2014)

alright,.. so i know what i said about only updating ps4/xbone chartz but 3DS got such a massive adjustment and such an interesting change in gap (thx black friday!) i couldn't resist updating everything.

So..

A) 1 new week of data: nov 30th. (black friday)
B) new region (europe) added to ps4, console, 3 month cumulative, 3 month weekly sections. (1 datapoint doesn't make a line.) :P

Adjustments since last week
A) xbox as adjusted down about 100k in the USA on launch week. it got adjusted up just a tad in europe.
B) ps4 got adjusted up just a tad in USA's launch week.
B) 3DS was adjusted up massively in europe going all the way back to june 29th.

Around the Network

added another week's worth of data (week ending Dec 7th) but only for the 10 graphs focused on ps4/xbox

This was a lot of fun to check through with the recent (ish) updates. Thanks Kitler!

wow great thread!

Kresnik said:
This was a lot of fun to check through with the recent (ish) updates. Thanks Kitler!

updated with through this week (jan 25th) so it is as recent (ish) as possible.   :P

those ps4/xbone numbers aren't making me happy.   yeah, the total sales are way ahead but look at the gap.  the ps4vsps3 gap is flat and the xbonevs360 gap is going negative.  sales are starting to look like they aren't truely "better" than last gen just more front loaded.    ...and those console totals are getting really ugly really quick.

nope, i am not a happy kitler.  not at all.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
Kresnik said:

updated with through this week (jan 25th) so it is as recent (ish) as possible.   :P

those ps4/xbone numbers aren't making me happy.   yeah, the total sales are way ahead but look at the gap.  the ps4vsps3 gap is flat and the xbonevs360 gap is going negative.  sales are starting to look like they aren't truely "better" than last gen just more front loaded.    ...and those console totals are getting really ugly really quick.

Maybe it's just the sales distribution this time. More people were buying at launch so less are buing after it. Maybe this generation will just survive on giant peaks in the main seasons while dying down in between.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
kitler53 said:
Kresnik said:

Maybe it's just the sales distribution this time. More people were buying at launch so less are buing after it. Maybe this generation will just survive on giant peaks in the main seasons while dying down in between.

we'll see.  games have gotten so front loaded though that i'm worried these early, spectacular console sales aren't going mean sustained, spectacular console sales.

ps4 USA in 10 weeks has already outsold ps3 in 52 weeks.  that's actually damn impressive even if it's only because ps3 did so poorly.

..but ps4 europe has a pretty big bump ahead of it.  ps3 launched so late that it's holiday sales kick in around week 30.  if i measured my slopes right ps4 will fall behind ps3 for at least a bit in that holiday bump.

xbox europe, it's probably about 10 weeks away from being negative GenOverGen.

xbox US, there is a pretty sizable sales rate increase for 360 at week 18.  so that is pretty close to titanfalls launch, meaning if titanfall doesn't cause a sustained sales rate increase xbone could easily be flat GenOverGen with 360 right around the 52 week mark.

...and it's not like 360 or ps3 either had great launches.

kitler53 said:
vivster said:

we'll see.  games have gotten so front loaded though that i'm worried these early, spectacular console sales aren't going mean sustained, spectacular console sales.

ps4 USA in 10 weeks has already outsold ps3 in 52 weeks.  that's actually damn impressive even if it's only because ps3 did so poorly.

..but ps4 europe has a pretty big bump ahead of it.  ps3 launched so late that it's holiday sales kick in around week 30.  if i measured my slopes right ps4 will fall behind ps3 for at least a bit in that holiday bump.

xbox europe, it's probably about 10 weeks away from being negative GenOverGen.

xbox US, there is a pretty sizable sales rate increase for 360 at week 18.  so that is pretty close to titanfalls launch, meaning if titanfall doesn't cause a sustained sales rate increase xbone could easily be flat GenOverGen with 360 right around the 52 week mark.

...and it's not like 360 or ps3 either had great launches.

I think it's too early to worry. These are after all different times. As long as the gap stays positive everything is fine. Selling more than the previous gen is better than most people thought it would be. If this gen sells als many cumulative consoles as last gen it will be a really great gen. If it sells a few 10s of millions less it would still be considered good.

We can start worrying if the gap turns negative and stays that way after this year's holidays.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

I think it's too early to worry. These are after all different times. As long as the gap stays positive everything is fine. Selling more than the previous gen is better than most people thought it would be. If this gen sells als many cumulative consoles as last gen it will be a really great gen. If it sells a few 10s of millions less it would still be considered good.

We can start worrying if the gap turns negative and stays that way after this year's holidays.

that's like being in a car and saying we don't need to worry about that brick wall until we hit it.  i can see it coming...

...besides, mulling over these numbers is what i enjoy best!

kitler53 said:
vivster said:

that's like being in a car and saying we don't need to worry about that brick wall until we hit it.  i can see it coming...

...besides, mulling over these numbers is what i enjoy best!

Except that the car just started and isn't even in the 3rd gear yet and you are looking at the wall through a telescope. Also there are still quite a few speed bumps ahead and multiple opportunities tu turn right before we reach the wall.

I like analogies :)