By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Which of the PS3 exclusive titles will Drastically push the PS3 hardware?

I know at least one person who's buying a PS3 just for MGS4, and he sure as heck isn't the only one. Definitely a system seller. Same with FF13 actually.

I don't think Killzone 2, Resistance 2, and Haze are going to do much for sales. They're highly hyped amongst PS3 owners, and will probably sell a lot (as in software), but that's about it. Neither of the HD consoles has any lack of gray/brown futuristic shooters, and I doubt a few more are going to make anyone buy a console.

Tekken 6 is probably not going to sell too well. The series has been in a long, long decline, and I haven't heard of anything that would make it seem like it's about to get back up.

Little Big Planet is highly unpredictable. It seems to me like one of those extremely highly rated, but commercially unappreciated cult classics that never quite make it to the mainstream, but you can never know. I hope it does well and more stuff like it gets released.

Around the Network

GT5 by a mile.

then

FF13
GTA4
MGS4

Rsistance2 or Killzone2 could become big hardware movers especially in the US.

LBP is the wild card.

MGS4 is a solid bet (no pun intended).

Killzone 2 remains a wildcard to me it has to REALLY prove itself.

Resistance 2 will definitely repeat its predecesors succes though in both the states and Europe.

FFXIII... no question about it.

Resident Evil 5 will push consoles... in Japan though, untill the PS3 gains firm ground in Europe I can't say with certainty - US seems like a lost cause even though it still will bring a good bunch of copies sold.

Little big Planet shows promise, and judging by the developers behind it they're hellbent on making it a huge succes so Im gonna go and say that "it will".

Haze... will have an impact in Europe, FPS are a pretty popular genre here.

God of War III needs to be seen before I can determine its potential, the hardcore fans will definitely buy it, but I have to see if it has more reach than that.

Gran Turismo will definitely kick a good bunch of consoles out in the blue... I dont GT5:p will do much though.

....I want to see some of the games that will be revealed at GDC, which I believe will have a substantial impact.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Parokki said:
I know at least one person who's buying a PS3 just for MGS4, and he sure as heck isn't the only one. Definitely a system seller. Same with FF13 actually.

I don't think Killzone 2, Resistance 2, and Haze are going to do much for sales. They're highly hyped amongst PS3 owners, and will probably sell a lot (as in software), but that's about it. Neither of the HD consoles has any lack of gray/brown futuristic shooters, and I doubt a few more are going to make anyone buy a console.

Tekken 6 is probably not going to sell too well. The series has been in a long, long decline, and I haven't heard of anything that would make it seem like it's about to get back up.

Little Big Planet is highly unpredictable. It seems to me like one of those extremely highly rated, but commercially unappreciated cult classics that never quite make it to the mainstream, but you can never know. I hope it does well and more stuff like it gets released.

Just asking but where do you get the idea that Tekken 6 won't sell

In the order I think they'll sell:

1. GT5
2. FFXIII
3. MGS4
4. Resistance 2
5/6. God of War 3/Tekken 6

In the order I think they'll push consoles:

1. GT5
2. FFXIII
3. MGS4
4. God of War 3
5. Tekken 6
6. Resistance 2

My two unknowns are KZ2 and LBP. If KZ2 turns out great and is marketed properly, then I could see it becoming as big as Gears, edging out Resistance 2 in sales, and selling more consoles than God of War. If LBP catches on with the casuals, then it could become as big as the Sims, outselling everything on the list.

Around the Network

No, this was NOT a double post, no matter what they tell you. >_>

Riachu said:
Parokki said:

Just asking but where do you get the idea that Tekken 6 won't sell

This site has Tekken 5 listed as selling only 1.63 mil. (not including T5:DR), whish is less than half of what Tekken 4 sold. Why it sold so little, I'm not sure, as T5 was much better than T4.  T4 was a big step down from Tekken Tag Tournament, so I would've thought that it would be the one to sell horribly out of the three, much like DMC2 sold much worse than DMC 1&3.

If it weren't for Tekken 5's pitiful sales, I'd consider Tekken 6 to have near MGS level system selling capabilities.  Earlier in the year I used to tout the ps3's "big four" system sellers: FFXIII, GT5, MGS4, and Tekken 6.  Sadly, T6 has now been crossed off that list. 

Hardware Pushers in Order:

1. FFXIII (Imagine Japan...let alone the rest of the world loves FF)
2. GT5
3. MGS4
4. God of War III
5. Killzone II (If it lives up to the hype...9.0 scores)

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Gran Turismo trumps all those games easily. The last Gran Turismo sold more than the last Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Tekken and Killzone combined.

Let me just repeat that without the links, for greater emphasis: the last Gran Turismo game (which was still the lowest total for the series ever, by the way) sold more copies than the combined totals of Metal Gear Solid 3, God of War II, Tekken 5 and Killzone 1.

People who think that MGS4/GoWar are in Gran Turismo's territory are dreaming. Gran Turismo is the killer there -- internet nerds such as me have an inflated sense of the importance of the Metal Gear series because it caters almost entirely to us, while games in much bigger franchises such as Gran Turismo and Madden branch out significantly to other markets. We don't really understand how big a deal they are because we don't spend dozens of hours typing huge threads about their backstory and possible future developments and how the gameplay will work and who we think the supporting cast will be and gosh do you guys think Raiden will be a playable character again? 

Not that Metal Gear isn't a great game or that it's not a big deal, mind you; I'm just saying that people have an overinflated sense of the game's value as a system seller. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

Gran Turismo trumps all those games easily. The last Gran Turismo sold more than the last Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Tekken and Killzone combined.

Let me just repeat that without the links, for greater emphasis: the last Gran Turismo game (which was still the lowest total for the series ever, by the way) sold more copies than the combined totals of Metal Gear Solid 3, God of War II, Tekken 5 and Killzone 1.

People who think that MGS4/GoWar are in Gran Turismo's territory are dreaming. Gran Turismo is the killer there -- internet nerds such as me have an inflated sense of the importance of the Metal Gear series because it caters almost entirely to us, while games in much bigger franchises such as Gran Turismo and Madden branch out significantly to other markets. We don't really understand how big a deal they are because we don't spend dozens of hours typing huge threads about their backstory and possible future developments and how the gameplay will work and who we think the supporting cast will be and gosh do you guys think Raiden will be a playable character again?

Not that Metal Gear isn't a great game or that it's not a big deal, mind you; I'm just saying that people have an overinflated sense of the game's value as a system seller.

While I do agree that GT5 will easily outsell every other game on the OP's list, those Killzone numbers are inaccurate. Only the NA numbers are up, and Killzone sold much better in the EU than it did in NA. It was developed in the EU, heavily advertised in the EU, and they even released a collector's edition of the game over there.

And lol at the MGS stuff.  So true.