By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Official LGBTA Thread - Supreme Court rules for Marriage Equality

Deyon said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Shadowfest3 said:
Hey, I'm a gaymer as well so add me to the list as well .

Is it bad that I knew you were gay because of the Celine Dion sig? I know it's stereotyping but it does work.

Why is it stereotyping ?

I like Celine Dion and I had a poster of her on my wall when I was a teenager, does that make me gay? O.O

Yes, very much so.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
axumblade said:
I just started watching United States of Tara the other day on Netflix. Has anybody else seen that show? I bring that up because the son, Marshall, is gay and thus far, he's probably my favorite character. I also brought this up because Trucks mentioned gaydar and it reminds me of him for some reason. It also reminds me of an episode of The New Normal too.

I am loving that now it's more common to have gay characters in TV shows. For the longest time, it was actually made into a big deal (like Will & Grace and Queer as Folk) but now it's just feeling more and more integrated, which I appreciate.

I find a lot of TV representations of homosexual characters to still be pretty stereotypical.  And often characters feel shoehorned in just for the sake of having them there, rather than for anything plot-related.

Marshall doesn't really fall into either of these categories, thankfully.  My favourite representation of a gay character on TV remains Max from Happy Endings, though.  

Deyon said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Shadowfest3 said:
Hey, I'm a gaymer as well so add me to the list as well .

Is it bad that I knew you were gay because of the Celine Dion sig? I know it's stereotyping but it does work.

Why is it stereotyping ?

I like Celine Dion and I had a poster of her on my wall when I was a teenager, does that make me gay? O.O

i had a poster of nirvana when i was a teenager, does that make me straight?

axumblade said:
I just started watching United States of Tara the other day on Netflix. Has anybody else seen that show? I bring that up because the son, Marshall, is gay and thus far, he's probably my favorite character. I also brought this up because Trucks mentioned gaydar and it reminds me of him for some reason. It also reminds me of an episode of The New Normal too.

I am loving that now it's more common to have gay characters in TV shows. For the longest time, it was actually made into a big deal (like Will & Grace and Queer as Folk) but now it's just feeling more and more integrated, which I appreciate.

Yay for gay characters! Cameron & Mitchell from Modern Family are hilarious too. They are very stereotypical but they are just as important as the rest of the cast.

Signature goes here!

axumblade said:

Unfortunately things aren't looking much better yet. If anything, it was better back when Will and Grace aired. As someone who follows gay characters on tv with passion, I'm beyond disappointed.

(possible) SPOILERS

Partners was an awesome show. Got cancelled due to poor ratings. Ex superman is one of my favourite gay characters ever.

The New Normal was an ok show. Again cancelled (terrible ratings).

Modern family is an awesome show but both characters are stereotypically gay, which is fine, but I still can't relate to them

Desperate Housewives had some awesome gay couples and storylines, but after the drop in ratings in Season 2, they stopped focusing on Andrew (the new couple lacked anything special). Show was cancelled/ended last year.

Revenge. Had two gay characters season 1. One died, they made the other date a girl!!! (I know he said he was bi, but still)

90210- interesting storyline with the blond guy, his character is dropped and then comes back with one of the worst storylines I've ever seen.

And don't get me started on all the gay characters dying soon after we start liking them (True Blood, Game of Thrones).

And the list goes on. Gay characters are still not fully accepted on Tv, especially as main characters. Society sure has a long way to go.

Around the Network
aikohualda said:
Deyon said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Why is it stereotyping ?

Naw, that makes you Bisexual ;o

Deyon said:
aikohualda said:
Deyon said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Why is it stereotyping ?

i might go bisexual for natalie portman

aikohualda said:
Deyon said:
aikohualda said:

I might go gay for Tom Hardy O.O

Deyon said:
aikohualda said:
Deyon said:
aikohualda said:

I might go gay for Tom Hardy O.O

oh

damn didnt know that he is uhm hot without the mask

axumblade said:

I love them too. But at the same time, Gloria is my absolute favorite from Modern Family. :P

I kinda let the idea that they are stereotypes slide because I feel that it has a "greater good" factor in it. I think The New Normal and Modern Family show gay marriage for what it really is to people who seem to think there is some hidden agenda behind it. Though these are all stereotypical characters, it feels like real relationships. There's a particular scene from The New Normal that was really hard to watch because it's a real life scenario that happens all the time. So here are the spoiler tags. :P David and Bryan are in a clothing store looking at baby clothes and they have a really short kiss in a heartwarming moment and then a man tells them not to kiss in front of their child and that it's gross. It's one of those awkward situations that a lot of gay people can relate to in real life regardless of if they fit to stereotypes or not.

Another good example of a stereotypical character would be Kurt from Glee. He was very stereotypical but at the same time his character helped a lot of teenagers who were struggling with their sexuality get the courage to come out to their parents or to just stand up for themselves.

@Kresnik, I really want to see Happy Endings. I might just have to bootleg it since I don't think Hulu or Netflix have it on there yet. :(

Your spoilered text reminds me of a recent situation in Quebec. The government launched these two ads:

And I had always thought Quebec was doing pretty great when it came to homosexual acceptance but sadly my illusions were shattered when I saw how some people reacted to those ads with comments like "It's disgusting", "How dare you show that during peak hours, what will I tell my kids?" and "Why is the government wasting money on this?". The last comment is ironic because the negative reaction the ads received is proof that the issue is very real and that we still have a long way to go before real acceptance.

Signature goes here!