By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bungie: 'nobody plays shooters the way they used to'

I think he's 100% right. Look at Gaming and Shooters before Halo and then after.

Around the Network

He's right and he's wrong.

Halo did change first-person shooters forever, and for the better. Although I think the changes can be traced back further to 1997 and 1998 with GoldenEye 007 and Half-Life and, to a lesser extent, Unreal.

But he's wrong about the mouse and keyboard. This is still the superior way to play first-person shooters.

Halo did change everything and for the most part it changed it for the better. I don't think he is saying that PC players don't want to use a mouse and keyboard anymore. I think he is saying that nobody complains that console FPS games control bad ever since Bungie set the standard with Halo. Bungie hasn't made a PC game since before Halo, (the ports of Halo 1 and 2 were outsourced), and Destiny is planned as a console exclusive. I think he is speaking from a purely console centric perspective and PC gamers are out of the scope of what he is talking about.

The PC gaming community is larger than it ever was before. PC FPS titles do just fine and I haven't heard of this "no one wants to play FPS with a keyboard/mouse anymore" bullcrap. If anything, most people who've tried both tend to agree that keyboard/mouse is superior.

Hey bungie, no one wants pay-to-play premium games anymore. You should make your title free to play. You're so behind the times... le sigh.. ;)

Around the Network
wfz said:
The PC gaming community is larger than it ever was before. PC FPS titles do just fine and I haven't heard of this "no one wants to play FPS with a keyboard/mouse anymore" bullcrap. If anything, most people who've tried both tend to agree that keyboard/mouse is superior.

Hey bungie, no one wants pay-to-play premium games anymore. You should make your title free to play. You're so behind the times... le sigh.. ;)

No one really wants to play against someone aiming and shooting with a Mouse while using a Controller thats for sure.

But if you look at the Ps3 and 360 they have about 140 million consoles sold combined. There is no way 50% of that population would rather being using a M/KB but are stuck using a Controller. The Console crowd likes their Contollers. They game in a chair or couch in front of their TV, sit back and play. Contoller is much easier to do that with when compared to a M/KB

I still prefer KB+Mouse, although Analog+Mouse would be even better.

The mouse offers better immersion as you can quickly look left, right, behind, up, wherever, with a flick of the wrist. Constant or accelerating rotation speed is just not the same. Metro 2033 without the ability to nervously check around you with the mouse while walking, not the same.
Which is also why I think wiimote and move are missing the point entirely. You can aim quickly but turning sucks even more.

For the other gimmicks, Resistance 3 is my favorite campaign on consoles with the tension of low health and the freedom of tons of weapons. Deus Ex hr would not have been as much fun if it wasn't for quick save/load.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Halo did change first-person shooters forever, and for the better. Although I think the changes can be traced back further to 1997 and 1998 with GoldenEye 007 and Half-Life and, to a lesser extent, Unreal.

But he's wrong about the mouse and keyboard. This is still the superior way to play first-person shooters.

i don't think they changed shooters at all. the formula still seems based off GoldenEye 007, DOOM, and they just so happened to add a regen system. Bungie just benefited from having an extra analog stick.

Black is still better than HALO.

kain_kusanagi said:
 I think he is saying that nobody complains that console FPS games control bad ever since Bungie set the standard with Halo. 

god i hope he's not saying that, cause Black is 10x better then Halo.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

i don't think they changed shooters at all. the formula still seems based off GoldenEye 007, DOOM, and they just so happened to add a regen system. Bungie just benefited from having an extra analog stick.

Black is still better than HALO.

I respectfully disagree about Black. It's a nice game, incredibly realistic, and it has some great set pieces -- the showers sequence being one of the best -- but Halo, at least to me, is a much better, much more revolutionary game.

Up until 1997, most first-person shooters were corridor shooters that embraced a certain philosophy: shoot first, ask questions later. With GoldenEye and Half-Life, the paradigm shifted. Mission objectives and puzzles appeared, and they demanded a combination of firepower and brainpower.

Then Halo arrived, and revolutionized the genre. It moved shooters away from PCs and onto home consoles, it secured Microsoft's spot in the console market, and it introduced (or popularized) several things that have been borrowed again and again since 2001, including its control scheme, its combat mechanics, and its militarism.