By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bungie: 'nobody plays shooters the way they used to'

A lot of news on Bungie's new shooter Destiny has come out this morning, and while it looks like an interesting game, there hasn't been a PC version announced by the Halo developer. Something said by the studio's co-founder, Jason Jones may bring some light as to why there might not be a PC version of Destiny.

Jones says:

We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jason Jones told us. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to.

I don't know about you, but I play shooters with a mouse and keyboard, and it's because I want to. I have a 360 controller for my PC, but I rarely use it. I have tried playing some shooters on my girlfriend's PlayStation 3, and I can't stand it. I know I am not alone here, and that there are thousands if not millions of gamers who prefer using a mouse and keyboard.

I also liked old-school shooters that had health packs and the choice to quick save when I wanted to. There are still shooters that don't follow the Halo formula, like Max Payne 3, that are very successful. Halo is a great game, but it's a bold statement to say that we don't want to play shooters the way we used to.

http://www.destructoid.com/bungie-says-nobody-plays-shooters-the-way-they-used--245428.phtml

Around the Network

I don't care about PC either so the less games they get the more likely they will come over to the console side.

I have a gaming PC and I prefer a controller. PC gamers piss me off too because they act superior. Most of my friends i play with are PC gamers too.

I agree because people want alot more out of their shooters these days than just the linear "grab the keycard and open the door" stuff of shooters past. Things like regenerating health instead of health packs are fine with me, but it all depends on the game and how they're implemented. You had games like Left 4 Dead where you didn't automatically regenerate health, and health and ammo were in short supply. On the other hand you have highly competitive shooters like COD, Halo, BF etc, that also throw a gauntlet of enemies and other stuff at you, so regenerating health makes sense here.

But also the line between FPS and other action games has been blurred tremendously this generation as you now have shooters with RPG elements or RPGs with shooter elements like Mass Effect, Fallout and Borderlands.

And the whole mouse and keyboard control option is strictly a user preference... for most shooters the dual analog stick setup works just fine. In fact the only shooters I enjoy playing with the mouse and keyboard setup are Valve's games like Half Life and Left 4 Dead because there's no "aiming" down the sights, or other special moves... you just point and shoot.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

i play shooters, based on the whether i like them, and based on the system they are on.

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
i play shooters, based on the whether i like them, and based on the system they are on.

So you mean it doesn't matter to you HOW you play them? As long as you get to play them?

Somini said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

So you mean it doesn't matter to you HOW you play them? As long as you get to play them?

*answers a question with another question*

Is that such a bad thing if you want to just play a shooter and it doesn't matter how it's happening, as long as you get to see the game for what it is?

"And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."

Yeah, that sounds pretty arrogant. There are plenty of FPS games that don't follow the Halo formula. Give me Fallout 3/NV or Borderlands over any Halo any day of the week, both of which do things differently--especially that 'two gun' thing he was talking about.

As far as M/K vs. console controller, I don't really care. Both are fun and I play with both. I can't even tell you that I really have a preference.

Somini said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

that's right. i play KZ, GEARS, and i while i hven't played a shoooter on PC in some yr's. you give me a shooter worth playing, and i will.

PS controler, 360 controler, PC mouse, PC Keybord, or joystick. if it's a good game, regardless of the platform, and i have the chance to play it. i will.

opps i failed to mention nintendo, but i rignt now they don't apply. i'll leave that a question for you to ask if you want to know why.

Kazus said:
Somini said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

*answers a question with another question*

Is that such a bad thing if you want to just play a shooter and it doesn't matter how it's happening, as long as you get to see the game for what it is?

i know it was a rhetorical questin but no it's not lol .