By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Winning Eleven on Wii

http://wii.ign.com/articles/846/846663p1.html?RSSwhen2008-01-21_020900&RSSid=846663

Apparently, Konami is really working hard on this one, and as someone who has no interest in Soccer whatsoever, this game fascinates me. Still won't buy it, but it's a really intriguing direction.

Apparently, Wii PES 08 is a strategy game. You can select several players at once by clicking/dragging the Wii pointer and perform group tactics and chain passes. Again, even as a non-soccer fan, I'm really impressed by the ingenuity here.

Some good quotes:

What the Wii version of Pro Evolution 2008 promises is an unprecedented level of control both on and off the ball, with the Wii-mote and Nunchuk used in tandem to direct the team.

What really excites is what is capable when the controls are fully grasped – with such untold control in your hands a whole different skill set is required, and after the relative disappointment of the Xbox 360 and PS3 incarnations, Pro Evolution 2008 on the Wii looks to be the first truly next-generation offering from the series.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

I have had my eyes on this one since the first game play video. This is why the Wii remote was created. Innovate games please and I will reward you with my hard earned dollar. This game will be a love/hate game.

I have decided to love it no matter what the learning curve.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

As a die hard fan of the series i have lamented for the past three versions that they have been practically the same, nothing new actually in terms of gameplay. Pro Evo 2008? Took my first match on highest difficulty settings, played as Poland vs Brazil and won 5-0. It totally blew me off that using the exact same tricks as 2 years ago i scored very similar goals, only that pro evo has prettier animations. Bah.

That's why i'm definitely getting the Wii version. This is the true next step in football gaming for me, at last i'll have full control over not just one player, but a whole load of them. Even if some of the mechanics will be flawed ( i don't think that team AI is going to be very responsive to tell the truth) this version of the game is where the new fun is at. Let me at it. NOW.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Can we say increased third party support for the Wii, directly attributed to sales data?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

My question is this - if the Wii version takes off, will people be able to play/buy newer PS3/360 versions?

Although I'm not into football games at all, I will probably get this. We get enough visitors who *love* football, and one housemate will be fully into it!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
Wojtas said:
As a die hard fan of the series i have lamented for the past three versions that they have been practically the same, nothing new actually in terms of gameplay. Pro Evo 2008? Took my first match on highest difficulty settings, played as Poland vs Brazil and won 5-0. It totally blew me off that using the exact same tricks as 2 years ago i scored very similar goals, only that pro evo has prettier animations. Bah.

That's why i'm definitely getting the Wii version. This is the true next step in football gaming for me, at last i'll have full control over not just one player, but a whole load of them. Even if some of the mechanics will be flawed ( i don't think that team AI is going to be very responsive to tell the truth) this version of the game is where the new fun is at. Let me at it. NOW.

i've been a die hard fan too, since the ISSS days. i can tell you i'm not expecting the same type of gameply. From the videos that i've seen the gameplay will be slower, the graphics look pretty bad, and i doubt the online will be as good as its PS3/360 counterparts, and i might add that there is no master league, which is what adds the hardcore aspect to PES. Shooting involves shaking the Wiimote, and that's not very intriguing. They should give it another title name, so that old time PES fans won't be expecting the same. I will rent this game through gamefly when it comes out to test the controls, but i'm not expecting much, i hope to be proved wrong, cause managing the whole team sounds really cool. just one more comment.. SOCCER IS THE BEST SPORT EVER..  

Ari_Gold said:
Wojtas said:

i've been a die hard fan too, since the ISSS days. i can tell you i'm not expecting the same type of gameply. From the videos that i've seen the gameplay will be slower, the graphics look pretty bad, and i doubt the online will be as good as its PS3/360 counterparts, and i might add that there is no master league, which is what adds the hardcore aspect to PES. Shooting involves shaking the Wiimote, and that's not very intriguing. They should give it another title name, so that old time PES fans won't be expecting the same. I will rent this game through gamefly when it comes out to test the controls, but i'm not expecting much, i hope to be proved wrong, cause managing the whole team sounds really cool. just one more comment.. SOCCER IS THE BEST SPORT EVER..

The only video I saw seemed to be a demo type video for the controls.

The IGN preview of PES2008 for Wii mentioned a lag problem on the PS3 and 360 versions. But I can't say personally because I don't play the game. Also, Master League has been removed, but it has Champions Road, which it seems is a slimmed down version. 

I'm also not seeing the problem with shaking the nunchuck or wiimote to shoot. You have to shake the wiimote in MOHH2 to reload and it feels natural and it works. I don't think pressing a button is any more intriguing, to tell ya the truth.

I am looking forward to this game, even though I'm not even a soccer fan. And I can hardly doubt this game won't be "hardcore" simply because those controls look crazy.

Though I'm not really trying to mark what you said as wrong, I'm just thinking we should wait until the game is out. Same with the Star Wars game... which is being discussed in another thread.

I also just noticed the game is priced at 39.99... so that's a win right there. That's probably because of the late launch compared to the other versions, and also because 2009 will be coming out before the end of the year. Either way, it's a win, for someone on a budget.

im really eager to get this game

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

This has had me intersted for ages, and I have never (bar Wii sports) owned any 'proper' sporting games (I have had 2 snowboard games)

So, I have never been interested in sports games
and football is one of my least favourite sports

Yet I still want this game.