By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can MS wait until late April for 360 price drop?

They won't drop it any sooner.

Microsoft *should of * dropped the X360 price in March last year, right after Crackdown and the other 5 games that sold 1m in March-Apr last year, but they didn't. MS has waited to the last possible moment to make moves like that thus far....And I don't expect any different.

However, if MS did want to gain a bigger marketshare in Europe, they'd need a 75 Eur price drop, and try to gain a few big exclusives that Europeans care about (Racers, soccer games, ect).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

$50 now so it can stay ahead of PS3. Another $50 for GTA.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Legend11 said:
I think they won't drop it until the beginning of April simply to make this quarter more profitable. I think we'll see a $50 price drop then. Sony might match it with a $50 price drop of their own considering how desperate they have become.

Sony is outselling MS right now, so I wouldn't exactly call them desperate.

TheBigFatJ said:
Legend11 said:
I think they won't drop it until the beginning of April simply to make this quarter more profitable. I think we'll see a $50 price drop then. Sony might match it with a $50 price drop of their own considering how desperate they have become.

Sony is outselling MS right now, so I wouldn't exactly call them desperate.

So losing hundreds of dollars per PS3 just to remain competitive with the Xbox 360 isn't desperate?  Multiple price cuts in the first year a system is released isn't a sign of desperation?  How about we talk about this again next week after we find out how much money Sony has lost on the PS3 last quarter.

In north america a price drop is not needed, but in other regions including japan a price drop is desperately needed, they need to cut the price in those regions to improve sales and be back to outselling the playstation 3.

Also you have to remember that Microsoft is not the one playing catch up, they are still selling well and stilll have the much larger install base. Microsoft can wait it out.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Around the Network

2 price drop
the first now
the second with GTA

^ yeah, 2 price drops in Europe, one now and the other just before GTA

one price drop in NA just before GTA

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Like them dropping the price would even matter. People need to understand, that pricedrops and price in general isn't the most important thing to larger or increased sales. Sometimes companies just can't do anything possible to change their current situation.

gebx said:
^ yeah, 2 price drops in Europe, one now and the other just before GTA

one price drop in NA just before GTA

I agree.  The answer seems obvious, but of course just because it makes sense doesn't mean Microsoft will actually do it.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

This tread looks vaguely familiar...   As such, I'll provide the exact same response:

When will Microsoft drop the price?  I don't think it will be as soon as most people think.  Maybe E3 or later.  Why not?  Because GTA IV will sell systems anyway.  No reason to prime the pump if the water is going to flow.

How much will the drop be for each SKU?  Sadly, only about $50 for each sku.  Maybe a bit more if the systems drop the packed in games.

Will Sony follow with the same price drop for the PS3?  Absolutely, though they may wait up to a month so MS doesn't steal their thunder or make them look like a follower.

Does anyone have an educated guess as too how much Microsoft are clearing on each 360 sold?  Good question.  I'd guess just about break even at this point.  Sure there may be a bit of money made on the hardware, but that's currently being offset with advertising, warranty repairs, and other expenses.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer