By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Update: Dual Shock 4 leak "genuine"

CGI-Quality said:
Deyon said:

Looks way too small to be a touch-screen. It will be.......weird!

I wouldn't want it much bigger than that, personally. 

Why would anyone want a touch-screen that small and what kind of games would you play on it? 

If it's there just to browse the XMB, i can easily do that using the D-Pad, no need for a touch-screen.

Around the Network
Deyon said:
CGI-Quality said:

I thought it was a touchpad! O.o

maybe it end up to be a touch panel after everybody thought its a multi touch pad...

CGI-Quality said:
Deyon said:

Why would anyone want a touch-screen that small and what kind of games would you play on it? 

If it's there just to browse the XMB, i can easily do that using the D-Pad, no need for a touch-screen.

Why would you need a screen much bigger than that?

To play games on it, DUH!

What's the point of having a screen that small? It seems sooo unnecessary and it will only make the PS4 much more expensive! That's a big NO NO!!

CGI-Quality said:
Deyon said:

To play games on it, DUH!

What's the point of having a screen that small? It seems sooo unnecessary and it will only make the PS4 much more expensive! That's a big NO NO!!

Why would I want to play games on a controller with a screen from something not called WiiU? In fact, if that's what you want to do, why not just go buy a WiiU. DUH!

Damn it You don't understand. I want to play RIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRR on my controller!

CGI-Quality said:

Now THAT is one hell of a design. Keeps the traditional analogues too.

Around the Network

A screen like that would be a waste of time, if anything it will be just a touchpad.

phenom08 said:
A screen like that would be a waste of time, if anything it will be just a touchpad.

Believe me, it would be useful and it doesn't need to be a screen, just a bunch of fixed LEDs underneath the pad. Like those on TVs or PC displays. 

SvennoJ said:
BluGamer23 said:
flagstaad said:
BluGamer23 said:
Tell me guys.. would bluray be sufficient enough to have 4k resolution video on it?...

if not.. i fear sony might introduce a new video format for storing 4k movies.. on the " PS4k "

I just found an example. A 50 minute movie shot in 4K resolution needs 160GB of storage capacity, well beyond the capabilities of the current Blu-ray disc. If we extrapolate a little, a 120 minute movie (a good average), it will require 384GB.

Hey thanks for the reply! yikesss... !

wowsers.... hmm.. makes me think.. will sony be pushing 4k format next?.. as they like to create push new formats along with their console/handhelds.. haha scary thought.. lets all hope not for the sake of PS4 costs...

even though the name PS4k looks like a fit for the 4k format.. lol.. scary! coincidence?

It depends if they're going to put in a higher capacity blu-ray drive. Pioneer already demonstrated a 400gb blu-ray disc in 2008
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/pioneer-makes-16-layer-400-gb-blu-ray-disc/
Even better, these discs can be read using the same objective lens in current Blu-ray drives, meaning it’s possible for future drives supporting the 16-layer disc to also support today’s Blu-ray media.

100/128gb BDXL discs are available on the market now, with a bit more compression an 8 layer 200/256gb disc could work too for 4K.
That 50 minute movie example runs at 436 mbps, showing of the best possible quality. More realistically a 5x increase of average 1080p blu-ray bandwidth should suffice. Let's say 5 x 40mbps = 200mbps or 175gb for 120 minutes. Sony had that tech in 2004. There just hasn't been any need for it yet.

Thanks for the info!.. interesting.. 5x increase haha yeh more than enough..