By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Update: Dual Shock 4 leak "genuine"

I've no idea what I'd be doing with a touch pad in a game, so it mostly sounds like something new for the sake of it. Sixaxis at least did have good uses in a number of games and one could envisage how such functionality could be used. One advantage over the WiiU is that every controller will have it, not just one per console.

Slightly bigger controller, fine but personally I don't need a bigger controller.

Change L2 and R2, yes definitely needed.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
irstupid said:
flagstaad said:
irstupid said:
I don't get it if its true.

Seems pointless expess to have a touch screen on the controller that small. There is barely anything you could do with it. To me kind of feels like the 6-axis all over again. Tossing on a quick slight imitation for no apparant reason.

Either go big or go home.

It is not a touch SCREEN is a touch pad, think laptop touch pad, and those are small, around 3-4 inches. It makes a little more sense, is a cheap addition that can bring something new, even if it is a little difficult to use it since the screen is so far away from the controller and you don't have visual clues on the control itself.

Hmm so its a touch pad.  So it will always be black, no screen.

Hmm, not sure what would be the point of having a touch pad on the controller.  What would you use it for?

You'll have to wait and see, I guess.

I love Sony but this touchpad sounds really unnecessary to me. Even more so now that there is no record/share button or whatever. I guess I should just have faith but honestly this sounds really gimmicky and unneeded.

binary solo said:
I've no idea what I'd be doing with a touch pad in a game, so it mostly sounds like something new for the sake of it. Sixaxis at least did have good uses in a number of games and one could envisage how such functionality could be used. One advantage over the WiiU is that every controller will have it, not just one per console.

Slightly bigger controller, fine but personally I don't need a bigger controller.

Change L2 and R2, yes definitely needed.

Very few in game uses aside from swiping and pressing. Thing the touchscreen use on the Vita for games like the upcoming Killzone. Slashing to knife. Or how about for the occasional wall smashing to push down on the touchpad instead of pushing X or O or whatever. Maybe if the PS4 comes with a camera and the controller acutally has those LEDs on the front, it could do things like the ninja throwing star on the Wii U. So maybe you could aim grenades by holding down the touchpad and moving the controller to change what angle you are throwing it at, which might be pretty effect compared to a lot of FPS that have you look off into the sky and guess how you are throwing it.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

UnitSmiley said:
I love Sony but this touchpad sounds really unnecessary to me. Even more so now that there is no record/share button or whatever. I guess I should just have faith but honestly this sounds really gimmicky and unneeded.

To me it sounds like the best way to navigate through an OS and would make web browsing 100x better than what we have for the PS3.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network
Chark said:
UnitSmiley said:

To me it sounds like the best way to navigate through an OS and would make web browsing 100x better than what we have for the PS3.

I guess it could be and we really don't know much about it. Though, wouldn't someone who is concerned with web browsing just buy a keyboard and mouse to use with the console?

I keep imagining there will be a Japanese touchpad game where you rub a nipple or clit for maximum stimulation

UnitSmiley said:
Chark said:
UnitSmiley said:

I guess it could be and we really don't know much about it. Though, wouldn't someone who is concerned with web browsing just buy a keyboard and mouse to use with the console?

Too much of a hassle to be honest. Having to move it around, all the cords, find good position to use the mouse etc. It's just much easier with just the controller and the touch pad could also be used to make navigating around easier.

UnitSmiley said:
Chark said:
UnitSmiley said:

That's kinda bulky isn't it?

Plus, it's virtually a mouse, which will improve fps gaming dramatically. Only question is how comfortable it would be.

I don't know about you guys but I REALLY like this concept design for the controller.

The white trim on the analog sticks is awesome and the touch pad is not too big but also not too small.

Maybe if they make the controller wider they could fit a larger touch pad, like this