By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Retail PC game sales down by 60 million in '07

breadie2 said:
Console gaming (X360, PS3) is taking over PC, because both are just cheaper version of PC, with more games and less frequent upgrades of hardwares. PC games is officially dead.

You couldn't let it lie, could you?

There are way more games available for the PC than any other platform. PC gaming will never die, even if it has to survive without the US.

Around the Network

What an incredibly boring list! Only CoD, Sim City and AoE deserves to be on there imo...

It's been nice having Shio on the site. He saves me from having to type the same tired argument over and over again to ignorant people who don't understand the PC game market. Thanks shio!

yeah those are some low sales compared to console sales

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I have said it once, ok about 12 times so far, I will say it again

The PC market is mainly based in the UK and Asia. US barely counts for anything in the PC market.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Orange Box probably sold nearly as much as WoW, but it won't show up because it's on Steam.

I bought Orange Box, Company of Heroes, Deus Ex, COD4, and Garry's Mod (the $10 version) last year on Steam, none of that shows up here though.

So there's plenty of factors, and PC gaming is certainly not dead.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

brute said:
yeah those are some low sales compared to console sales

Like shio said, it's not that low.  36 million PC games compared to 38 million 360 games, or 38 million PS3 games, 38 million Wii games.  Sure, lump all the consoles together and it surely beats PC three times over...but since when do we lump all the consoles together?  Our favorite thing to do is bash 360, PS3, Wii, or PC separately, so we should judge them separately.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

ssj12 said:
I have said it once, ok about 12 times so far, I will say it again

The PC market is mainly based in the UK and Asia. US barely counts for anything in the PC market.

That is true. Norway is actually a huge PC market, and like I stated in another thread; in 2007 the PC made 80% total in software sales compared to all consoles put together (in Norway). I.e; the PC markets that are bustling are frickin huge in software! 

@Mummelmann: Where did you get those numbers? Norwegian software revenue was 113 mln $ from which only 26 mln are PC and consoles are 87 mln (in year 2007).

Generally speaking PC market is much smaller than consoles' but what's more important it's not growing while consoles market grew this year 30-40% (but maybe it's due to introduction of new gen consoles?)

@shio: You are saying that US PC market is smaller than Germany. Do you have any actual numbers? I personally doubt than US

The introduction of the new consoles and high-quality software accounts for the rise this year with consoles. Nothing really big ever happens with PC other than big software releases like WoW, Sims, Valve games, etc.

So while new systems every few years keeps console popularity alive, PC's health is judged simply by the software sold. And there wasn't a ton of great software this year...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM