By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Retail PC game sales down by 60 million in '07

Mummelmann said:
Why is the US such a poor PC market anyways?

No singular reason, but I can name a few likely contributing factors:

1) PC Gaming is still seen as uber-nerdy, while console gaming is slightly-less-nerdy
2) PC Gaming is viewed as complicated. Installation, debugging,  upgrading hardware, etc.
3) PC Gaming tends to be the realm of super "hardcore" players, so newcomers don't easily fit in. There's a reason why professional gaming is largely a PC market, and the elitism of PC Gamers in the US contributes to their exclusionist tendencies.
4)  Hardware is more expensive unless you really know what you're doing.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
Mummelmann said:
Why is the US such a poor PC market anyways?

No singular reason, but I can name a few likely contributing factors:

1) PC Gaming is still seen as uber-nerdy, while console gaming is slightly-less-nerdy
2) PC Gaming is viewed as complicated. Installation, debugging, upgrading hardware, etc.
3) PC Gaming tends to be the realm of super "hardcore" players, so newcomers don't easily fit in. There's a reason why professional gaming is largely a PC market, and the elitism of PC Gamers in the US contributes to their exclusionist tendencies.
4) Hardware is more expensive unless you really know what you're doing.

Yeah, that all makes sense. Hardware is really expensive here as well, but a lot of people here are willing to fork up the dough for it. There was an absolute explosion in home-PC adaptation and purchases in the late 80's and early 90's, and ever since, it's been very big bussiness here! This buying spree (post "Fall of the Wall") was around Midway, Virgin and Sierra's golden gaming age, so a lot of Norwegians who are adults today still play games. I was just a kid back then, but I remember all the great games!

The reason is really quite simple and two-fold...

Consoles are starting to get all the traditional "PC Only" games like RTSes and stunning graphical games like CoD4 / Assasins Creed / Drake Unchartered, etc.

Consoles are way cheaper to buy then a PC that support DX10.

Why pay $1,000 - $3,000 for a PC when $400 gets you a NextGen console and you can sit on a lazy boy in you living room instead of the hard chair in your computer room.

Half Life 2 was released for PC already in 2004 so that explains partly why Orange Box didn't do so well in PC. And most of HL2 owners didn't buy Orange Box and many of those who did, bought it through Steam.

shio said:
breadie2 said:
Console gaming (X360, PS3) is taking over PC, because both are just cheaper version of PC, with more games and less frequent upgrades of hardwares. PC games is officially dead.

shut up, you fail.

Do not base your argument on NPD reports alone, because:

- Download services are not counted by NPD, which takes a chunk from the sales tracking. Steam alone has over 13 million users (as of May 23rd '07),  and over 20% of the visitors are from US. Then add Direct2Drive, Gametap, etc...

- Game subscriptions are not tracked, which means the money of the 2.5million americans who play WoW is not accounted for. That's like $330 million right there for 2007 (monthly pay of $11 x 12 months x 2.5 million players), plus other MMO's such as Everquest, EVE online, etc...

- The US has a traditionally weak PC market. Germany alone has a bigger PC market than US. The entire Europe probably has 4 times bigger PC market than the US. Also, PC gaming is stronger than ever in Asia, with 5 million WoW asian gamers and PC controlling almost 80% of South Korea's gaming (with a revenue of 1.5 billion dollars on PC games, easily more than the US)

-  And even without counting the downloaded games, averagely PC has sold around as much retail copies as the consoles:

PC retail copies sold - 36.4 million

Home Consoles retail copies - 153.9 million, (38.4 million average, ignoring Xbox/GC sales)

Portable Consoles retail copies - 77.5 million (38.7 million average, ignoring GBA sales)

36.4 vs 38.4 vs 38.7, not really that far, is it.

Yeah, people need to understand that PC sales aren't as obvious or easy to track as console sales.

But about the lines I made blue, have you actually seen sources for that?

Because yes, I can believe Germany (pop 82 mill) vs USA (300mill) could be slightly bigger in PC revenue (since console sales are proportionately real crappy in Germany, it's really big on PC), but the EU as a whole 4 times bigger than the US? I strongly doubt that. You have Scandinavia, 25 mill... Benelux+Swi+Austria another 42 mill, they are strong PC regions. And then UK and France 60 mill each, somewhat strong... but then southern/eastern europe are more console dominated and lower income countries respectively.

EDIT: South Koreas has a pop of 47 mill, and medium income is about half of western countries, so that $1.5 bill is really incredible. Perhaps believable since they are so crazy about PC in S Korea, including MMORPGs, but... hard to grasp nevertheless.

If I go play let's say Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Counter-Strike or Battlefield 2 online I get the feeling there are almost as many American servers as EU servers, and there are even American players playing on the EU servers. I have a very hard time to believe that the percentage of North Americans who bought/play those games are only 20%.

BTW I saw somewhere that Oblivion sold 4-500,000 PC copies in the USA/NA in 2006 alone. It's a heavily regionalized game (has even italian voice overs) and RPGs are very popular in Europe too... so again, I can't see that NA is only 20% of total PC sales.

Around the Network
Untamoi said:
Half Life 2 was released for PC already in 2004 so that explains partly why Orange Box didn't do so well in PC. And most of HL2 owners didn't buy Orange Box and many of those who did, bought it through Steam.

actualy count out all the people playing TF2 and you get how many bought the orange box. Most likely 90% of them bought it through steam. So it is by far a multi-million seller.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

PC gaming is not dead, far from it...
PC gaming will die when gaming is general dies ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

Well, I don't buy PC games anymore,(Even with my new PC) I bought one each year for 3 years then stopped. I should get back into it...

But on topic, PC games are no where near dead, but I could see in a few more generations, console gaming wiping it out. Not completly, but slowly over time I believe that PC gaming will be replaced.

(I say this because just a little while ago, you needed a PC to get all the best games and graphics. Now consoles can do just as good, if not better.)

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
Untamoi said:

Sorry, but that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Most HL2 owners bought Orange Box I'm sure...Episode 2 was the newest episode for HL2, along with Portal (an exciting new game from Valve) and TF2 (a very long-awaited game from Valve)...an HL2 owner would be stupid not to buy Orange Box...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )