By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UPDATED!!! People like second hand games but software companies can't handle the cost.

What should be done?

Nothing, just as long my ... 94 64.38%

Block second hand use. only internet access. 8 5.48%

Include code with game to... 44 30.14%

Total:146
spaceguy said:

So you like being able to sell your game? Well there is a problem, Software companies are closing if someone coughs to hard in developement, Meaning nothing can go wrong. God forbid you make a game that is different from the rest. Some games take time to get a following.  So with all the risk involved and companies like game stop destroying first hand sales. What is the answer? What should the software/hardware developers do?

What would you do?

Everytime a game studio closes it's doors I will update the thread. If I don't quick enough, feel free to do so your self.

Does anyone have a count of how many software companies we lost in this gen?

Software giants aren't smart enough to handle the costs. They keep making bigger and bigger games, the costs of development of those games are inflating out of control... meanwhile, titles with smaller development costs, like Just Dance, blossom and make massive profit.

What the software giants need to do is question their development model. Not the sales model - not "blocking second hand games" or "in-game purchases" or anything like that, but the development model, the way that they make the game in the first place.

The answer to second hand game sales is to make games that consumers don't want to sell back to the game store after playing, that the majority of consumers will consider to be worth the full retail price. You will notice that Nintendo never really complains about second-hand titles, and their games mostly tend to maintain their retail prices for years, where most other games start dropping in price within a couple of months of launch. They also emphasise that inflating dev costs is a big problem in the industry. And while they did experience a short period of losses, it was during a period in which the Wii and DS were fading, the 3DS was only just launched and hadn't blossomed, and the Wii U was still in development. They're already making their way back into profits.

And while many studios have been closing, most such studios have been ones working on the 360 and PS3, where dev costs have been out of control, competition has been extreme, and most games are designed to have frontloaded sales - which just encourages second-hand gaming.

Around the Network

why don't people who buy digital ever complain?

spaceguy said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
spaceguy said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
kain_kusanagi said:

[...]

Amen.

It's not our responsibility as consumers to protect the video game industry.

No but they will protect them selfs and I would to if I owned a software company. I run a company, so I do understand their issues and risk, It's way to much and us as  gamers suffer with software companies not taking chances. I see the same game over and over and that is becuase companies are scared to change the format.

Fair enough. But if a software company is making poor, unsustainable business decisions, then the company must be punished. Not the consumer.

The software giants are being punished by people just finishing the game fast. Not bad decisions. Now every game needs online to keep people playing long enough to not sell it to gamestop. I'm sorry but I think games like darksiders was great but just didn't get the following it deserved fast enough. Thats what it is, some people play games as fast as they can to sell them to gamestop to get another game. So saying it's the publisher's fault I think is really looking at it one sided.

Once a consumer buys a video game, his relationship with the producer is over. From that point on, he has every right to resell it or bury it in a landfill in New Mexico.

If game companies cannot turn a profit selling new games at $60, then they need to rethink production. They need to rethink advertising budgets. They need to rethink design budgets. They need to rethink staff size. They need to rethink pricing.

Again, it's not my responsibility as a consumer to subsidize the video game industry.

Aielyn said:
spaceguy said:

So you like being able to sell your game? Well there is a problem, Software companies are closing if someone coughs to hard in developement, Meaning nothing can go wrong. God forbid you make a game that is different from the rest. Some games take time to get a following.  So with all the risk involved and companies like game stop destroying first hand sales. What is the answer? What should the software/hardware developers do?

What would you do?

Everytime a game studio closes it's doors I will update the thread. If I don't quick enough, feel free to do so your self.

Does anyone have a count of how many software companies we lost in this gen?

Software giants aren't smart enough to handle the costs. They keep making bigger and bigger games, the costs of development of those games are inflating out of control... meanwhile, titles with smaller development costs, like Just Dance, blossom and make massive profit.

What the software giants need to do is question their development model. Not the sales model - not "blocking second hand games" or "in-game purchases" or anything like that, but the development model, the way that they make the game in the first place.

The answer to second hand game sales is to make games that consumers don't want to sell back to the game store after playing, that the majority of consumers will consider to be worth the full retail price. You will notice that Nintendo never really complains about second-hand titles, and their games mostly tend to maintain their retail prices for years, where most other games start dropping in price within a couple of months of launch. They also emphasise that inflating dev costs is a big problem in the industry. And while they did experience a short period of losses, it was during a period in which the Wii and DS were fading, the 3DS was only just launched and hadn't blossomed, and the Wii U was still in development. They're already making their way back into profits.

And while many studios have been closing, most such studios have been ones working on the 360 and PS3, where dev costs have been out of control, competition has been extreme, and most games are designed to have frontloaded sales - which just encourages second-hand gaming.

I will disagree right away.

My brother and all his friends buy games and play them as fast as possible to sell them to gamestop. It's not that they don't like the game, its that they can get money for it. This something I think people over look. People just want the money, they may have loved the game but finished it fast. I see it all the time. so the developer spends millions to bring a game that they see fit and they get punished because they don't have online like COD, that is always the same. C'mon.

spaceguy said:
Aielyn said:

My brother and all his friends buy games and play them as fast as possible to sell them to gamestop. It's not that they don't like the game, its that they can get money for it. This something I think people over look. People just want the money, they may have loved the game but finished it fast. I see it all the time. so the developer spends millions to bring a game that they see fit and they get punished because they don't have online like COD, that is always the same. C'mon.

I'm sorry, but... what, exactly, are you disagreeing with?

I didn't say that people aren't trading games in, or that good games don't get traded in. I said that you need to make games that consumers don't WANT to sell back to the game store after playing. That is, games that people play and go "I don't want to sell it, I want to keep playing it, or play it again soon".

It's not about online. People don't often sell back their Zelda games, their Mario games, their Pokemon games. It's not just Nintendo, it's just easiest to use Nintendo examples.

Around the Network

registering is bogus. I don't want my games tied to any online systems mainly because who is to say they will not take these systems down in the future.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
spaceguy said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
spaceguy said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
kain_kusanagi said:

[...]

Amen.

It's not our responsibility as consumers to protect the video game industry.

No but they will protect them selfs and I would to if I owned a software company. I run a company, so I do understand their issues and risk, It's way to much and us as  gamers suffer with software companies not taking chances. I see the same game over and over and that is becuase companies are scared to change the format.

Fair enough. But if a software company is making poor, unsustainable business decisions, then the company must be punished. Not the consumer.

The software giants are being punished by people just finishing the game fast. Not bad decisions. Now every game needs online to keep people playing long enough to not sell it to gamestop. I'm sorry but I think games like darksiders was great but just didn't get the following it deserved fast enough. Thats what it is, some people play games as fast as they can to sell them to gamestop to get another game. So saying it's the publisher's fault I think is really looking at it one sided.

Once a consumer buys a video game, his relationship with the producer is over. From that point on, he has every right to resell it or bury it in a landfill in New Mexico.

If game companies cannot turn a profit selling new games at $60, then they need to rethink production. They need to rethink advertising budgets. They need to rethink design budgets. They need to rethink staff size. They need to rethink pricing.

Again, it's not my responsibility as a consumer to subsidize the video game industry.

Well maybe my games I like only 500,000 people like, the cost are high to make that game. So now I don't get the game because million won't buy it and you can't deal with a code? you know what I think, People want something awesome all the time but don't want to pay for it.

A code only hinders gamestop. Maybe gamestop can buy codes from the software companies and the code for the game has to change to register to a new account. You still get to sell your game but the new owner or gamestop needs to pay to access it. Sorry but I like off games and so do many others and not only that, some games don't make it just off of advertisement. So you won't have to pay to help  software giants, unless you want to buy second hand. Gamestop has destroyed many favorite studies.

Software companies have no room for error. They can do everything you say and have good game but gamestop seems to get game back fast, because people play games fast and sell fast to get more money, Nothing to do with how good the game is.

Aielyn said:

I didn't say that people aren't trading games in, or that good games don't get traded in. I said that you need to make games that consumers don't WANT to sell back to the game store after playing. That is, games that people play and go "I don't want to sell it, I want to keep playing it, or play it again soon".

It's not about online. People don't often sell back their Zelda games, their Mario games, their Pokemon games. It's not just Nintendo, it's just easiest to use Nintendo examples.

Agreed. As a fellow Aussie walk into any cash converters or second hand store, or even an EB, most the used games on sale are Playstation or Xbox games with a few bad 3rd party Nintendo platform games. You hardly (if ever) see high profile games on a Nintendo console being sold used.

Now this is either that Playstation and Micrososft games have no replay value, or Nintendo gamers are ones who keep their games and are not in it to get cash back. Perhaps this is what should define a hardcore gamers lol.

Whichever console has restrictions on used games or requires and internet connection won't be getting it's money from me.

Aielyn said:
spaceguy said:
Aielyn said:

Selling them back with my brother and them has nothing to do with how good the game is. It has to do with getting money back. Do you get what I'm saying?

I used a example, my brother and his friends. They will finish a game in the first week, just to sell it back. You understand know. Without gamestop, this would not happen at all.