By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You people want MOAR Power in 8th Gen consoles, but........

There's definitely gonna be a jump in visuals. It'll definitely be a helping hand to ultra realism. However I'm hoping Sony and MS don't try to push too far, as I'd love to buy a console around the time of release, However, if it's above $300, then my hands are really gonna be just about tied.

Around the Network

To these guys saying the next gen will not have a big jump...

Just play Battlefield 3 (or any other game in PC and console) in 1080p with max setthings... after that play the same game in PS360... the difference is huge.

Try to do the same thing with others games... it's massive.

ethomaz said:

To these guys saying the next gen will not have a big jump...

Just play Battlefield 3 (or any other game in PC and console) in 1080p with max setthings... after that play the same game in PS360... the difference is huge.

Try to do the same thing with others games... it's massive.

Plus, the CPU/GPU is going to be slightly customized, most likely for a bump in performance.  And considering they're in a dedicated machine, which will allow those chips more breathing room, the difference will be even bigger a few years from now.  HYPED!!

Mazty said:
Turkish said:
Mazty said:

You notion is rediculous because you are ignoring all other factors. If we just go with what you are saying then in 2030 all TV's will be 200+".

Good one on completely ignoring the fact that I backed up my claim on finite living space. 
If the article is 5 years old then you need to find a more uptodate source. 

Yes because people always love sitting in the front seats at a cinema *facepalm* Working on the minimum distance is rediculous - average it out. 

Look at the bloody link I gave you. There isn't a market for big TV's because there isn't the room for them in Europe. Go look at an estate agent for the UK before talking about something you know absolutely nothing about. I've lived in both the US and UK and know the difference in housing size is phenomenal - you are just taking a complete guess at size. 

Have you even read my comment? The min. viewing distance for 42" is 5ft(1.5m), for 65" 8ft (2.5m). Do you live in a container? 1m is insignificant.

If we used your logic, Americans should have 3x bigger tvs than English people because their houses are 3x bigger. I'd suggest you visit a retail chain next time and see what kind of tvs they're marketing.

"Yes because people always love sitting in the front seats at a cinema *facepalm* Working on the minimum distance is rediculous - average it out. "

Clearly you didn't read my comment *facepalm*

So then why is the US market not buying big TVs if they have the room? Are you then saying that people just don't want big TVs? *facepalm x2*

I don't know about you but the only reason i'd ever want to sit at the front would be to avoid peoples heads getting in the way, other than that i'd rather sit in the middle or the back, where you don't have to strain your neck to watch, and don't have to look left and right to see the whole screen.

My other article sadly I think is the answer.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=154753&page=1#

They have to take on the second hand market.

Around the Network

A good example of what big jump in graphcis we will see this new generation... GTA IV.

ethomaz said:

A good example of what big jump in graphcis we will see this new generation... GTA IV.

I don't think a heavilly graphically modded game being compared to the original is at all a fair comparison.

ethomaz said:

Mazty said:

I'll repeat myself:
"Either way what is your point? The next consoles, as far as I'm aware, won't even come close to the power of the HD 7970. As for the GTX 680 18 fps is wholly unacceptable."

". On a PC you can build yourself for around £800, 4K is viable,"

Do you really think the next gen consoles will have the performance of an £800 /$1200 PC? More to the point, did you read :

"While we couldn't get ultra settings to work"

If you expect an improvement over last gens graphics AND an increase in resolution to 4k, you are wholly mistaken. If they make games that play at 4k natively, then expect absolutely no improvement in graphics over this generation. Do you think that'll happen?

I think you are misunderstanding all.

ethomaz said:

Mazty said:

If you think the PS4 can game at 4k you've no idea what you're talking about. Even $1000 GPU's couldn't game at that resolution with a game with decent graphics.

Wrong. The top GPU in the market (GTX 680/HD 7970) can run game in 4k in max setthing.

And...

ethomaz said:

OP.

- The Wii U itself is cheapers because the dated hardware... the Gamepad puts the things a little high... that's the reason.
- PS4 will have 4k for movies and some PSN games but the standard will be 1080p.
- Dev cost will not change from that generation... the buget will be the same.
- PS4/Next will be MOAR powerful... 8-10x PS360.
- The evolution in graphics will define the next generation.

Lolwut? 

A) The PS4 is very likely to have less power than the GTX680/HD7970. 
Aii)The GTX680 isn't even capable of solid 30 fps with improved graphics this gen. Expecting an improvement in graphics and 4k resolution is unrealistic.
B) Why will PSN games have 4k resolution when very, very few people will have 4k TV's?

Mazty said:
ethomaz said:

Mazty said:

I'll repeat myself:
"Either way what is your point? The next consoles, as far as I'm aware, won't even come close to the power of the HD 7970. As for the GTX 680 18 fps is wholly unacceptable."

". On a PC you can build yourself for around £800, 4K is viable,"

Do you really think the next gen consoles will have the performance of an £800 /$1200 PC? More to the point, did you read :

"While we couldn't get ultra settings to work"

If you expect an improvement over last gens graphics AND an increase in resolution to 4k, you are wholly mistaken. If they make games that play at 4k natively, then expect absolutely no improvement in graphics over this generation. Do you think that'll happen?

I think you are misunderstanding all.

ethomaz said:

Mazty said:

If you think the PS4 can game at 4k you've no idea what you're talking about. Even $1000 GPU's couldn't game at that resolution with a game with decent graphics.

Wrong. The top GPU in the market (GTX 680/HD 7970) can run game in 4k in max setthing.

And...

ethomaz said:

OP.

- The Wii U itself is cheapers because the dated hardware... the Gamepad puts the things a little high... that's the reason.
- PS4 will have 4k for movies and some PSN games but the standard will be 1080p.
- Dev cost will not change from that generation... the buget will be the same.
- PS4/Next will be MOAR powerful... 8-10x PS360.
- The evolution in graphics will define the next generation.

Lolwut? 

Aii)The GTX680 isn't even capable of solid 30 fps with improved graphics this gen. Expecting an improvement in graphics and 4k resolution is unrealistic.
B) Why will PSN games have 4k resolution when very, very few people will have 4k TV's?

A) Less power, but no overheads, so eventually once coders get used to the closed system, capable of producing better visuals - by which time a new range of PC gpu's will be available of course.

Aii) Actually the 7970 and GTX680 can do 4K quite well, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-zBuiq8RTU - http://www.brightsideofnews.com/Data/2012_6_18/The-4K-Graphics-Card-Shootout/4K%20Gaming%20Chart%2011.jpg

B) They most likely won't, and since the PS4 is rumored to only have a hdmi 1.4a output, the single output alone couldn't support it at anything over 24hz anyway (pretty much unplayable). It would need a HDMI 2.0 port to be able to output 4K at 60fps.

Also,

"Wrong. The top GPU in the market (GTX 680/HD 7970) can run game in 4k in max setthing."

AMD's HD7990 and Nvidia's GTX690 say hello.

Tachikoma said:
Mazty said:

Lolwut? 

A) Less power, but no overheads, so eventually once coders get used to the closed system, capable of producing better visuals - by which time a new range of PC gpu's will be available of course.

Aii) Actually the 7970 and GTX680 can do 4K quite well, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-zBuiq8RTU - http://www.brightsideofnews.com/Data/2012_6_18/The-4K-Graphics-Card-Shootout/4K%20Gaming%20Chart%2011.jpg

B) They most likely won't, and since the PS4 is rumored to only have a hdmi 1.4a output, the single output alone couldn't support it at anything over 24hz anyway (pretty much unplayable). It would need a HDMI 2.0 port to be able to output 4K at 60fps.

Also,

"Wrong. The top GPU in the market (GTX 680/HD 7970) can run game in 4k in max setthing."

AMD's HD7990 and Nvidia's GTX690 say hello.

True, although considering the GTX680 produces already x3 TFLOPS of the rumoured performance of Durango, optimisation can only get you so far. Don't get me wrong - I'd love the next consoles to kick out GTX680 performance (it'd save me a lot of money xD) but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm a bit of an elitist. Anything less than 30 fps min for an FPS imo isn't acceptable, plus that's only on high, not ultra, so it's safe to assume playing a top-line engine maxed out from this generation isn't even possible at 4k on single GPU cards. 

Yeah, that's a really good point about the HDMI port. I only imagine the PS4 as being a bluray/DVD/media upscaler rather than supporting 4k games. If publishers are backing out of Wii U support and it has a few million users, then I really can't see 4k games being released as the user base will be considerably smaller and that's pressuming the HDMI rumours aren't true...