By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You people want MOAR Power in 8th Gen consoles, but........

Mazty said:
Tachikoma said:
Mazty said:

Lolwut? 

A) The PS4 is very likely to have less power than the GTX680/HD7970. 
Aii)The GTX680 isn't even capable of solid 30 fps with improved graphics this gen. Expecting an improvement in graphics and 4k resolution is unrealistic.
B) Why will PSN games have 4k resolution when very, very few people will have 4k TV's?

A) Less power, but no overheads, so eventually once coders get used to the closed system, capable of producing better visuals - by which time a new range of PC gpu's will be available of course.

Aii) Actually the 7970 and GTX680 can do 4K quite well, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-zBuiq8RTU - http://www.brightsideofnews.com/Data/2012_6_18/The-4K-Graphics-Card-Shootout/4K%20Gaming%20Chart%2011.jpg

B) They most likely won't, and since the PS4 is rumored to only have a hdmi 1.4a output, the single output alone couldn't support it at anything over 24hz anyway (pretty much unplayable). It would need a HDMI 2.0 port to be able to output 4K at 60fps.

Also,

"Wrong. The top GPU in the market (GTX 680/HD 7970) can run game in 4k in max setthing."

AMD's HD7990 and Nvidia's GTX690 say hello.

True, although considering the GTX680 produces already x3 TFLOPS of the rumoured performance of Durango, optimisation can only get you so far. Don't get me wrong - I'd love the next consoles to kick out GTX680 performance (it'd save me a lot of money xD) but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm a bit of an elitist. Anything less than 30 fps min for an FPS imo isn't acceptable, plus that's only on high, not ultra, so it's safe to assume playing a top-line engine maxed out from this generation isn't even possible at 4k on single GPU cards. 

Yeah, that's a really good point about the HDMI port. I only imagine the PS4 as being a bluray/DVD/media upscaler rather than supporting 4k games. If publishers are backing out of Wii U support and it has a few million users, then I really can't see 4k games being released as the user base will be considerably smaller and that's pressuming the HDMI rumours aren't true...

Generally speaking the GTX680 hardware itself is easilly more powerful but as it has to run on a driver through an os, you can't as they say "code to the metal", since Microsoft refuse to allow low level hardware access through their operating system, with consoles you can, and with the GPU linked to the CPU directly with no interference the hardware itself ends up configuration to configuration, a lot more powerful than you'd expect - it's up to the supporting make-up such as ram, bandwidth, co-supporting hardware like that, and if the retail specs are the same as or similar to the rumored specs - eventually the 720 and ps4 will eclipse in both video quality and capability, the current generation of GPU - wether or not it'll outclass the GTX7xx or future cards released within the consoles lifetime, is up for debate but by the time developers have got the hang of these systems new gpus will be on the market, so both consoles and pcs will progress in graphical capability in tandem.

The youtube video would be a lot smoother if they didnt use fraps to record it with.

In the case of the video though the sheer resolution makes the GTX680 hit it's memory limit, it would run much better with more ram.

Around the Network

Mazty said:

Lolwut?

Aii)The GTX680 isn't even capable of solid 30 fps with improved graphics this gen. Expecting an improvement in graphics and 4k resolution is unrealistic.
B) Why will PSN games have 4k resolution when very, very few people will have 4k TV's?

I think you are misunderstanding again... there two different topics.

1) You said no $1000 GPU in PC can run 4k... that's false and I pointed out... there a few GPU in the market that can do that... GTX 680, HD 7970, GTX 690, HD 7990 and GeForce Titan. I never said any of these GPUs will be into Durango/Orbis.

2) Sony will push 4k for movies, media content and some PSN games like Super Stardust 4k, WipEout 4k, etc... like they did with 1080p in PS3.

That's it.

Tachikoma said:

B) They most likely won't, and since the PS4 is rumored to only have a hdmi 1.4a output, the single output alone couldn't support it at anything over 24hz anyway (pretty much unplayable). It would need a HDMI 2.0 port to be able to output 4K at 60fps.

That's can be a problem... the HDMI only supports 4k in 30fps but if I remeber the 4k TVs have DisplayPort input too (4k in 60fps).

I think PS4 will have HDMI and Display Port output.

ethomaz said:

Mazty said:

Lolwut?

I think you are misunderstanding again... there two different topics.

1) You said no $1000 GPU in PC can run 4k... that's false and I pointed out... there a few GPU in the market that can do that... GTX 680, HD 7970, GTX 690, HD 7990 and GeForce Titan. I never said any of these GPUs will be into Durango/Orbis.

2) Sony will push 4k for movies, media content and some PSN games like Super Stardust 4k, WipEout 4k, etc... like they did with 1080p in PS3.

That's it.

I said only $1000 GPUs are capable of playing games at a reasonable FPS (30 min - 60 avg) at 4k. That is still true

Titan has yet to be released.

How do you know Sony will push for 4k games? It seems a lot of effort for an incredibly small user base. 1080p wasn't nearly as rare as 4k. Plus Studio Liverpool no longer exists so no more wipeout....
As I've explained to another user, the issue with 4k is the footprint and viewing distance needed for the TV. They are just far too large for most European homes. 

Tachikoma said:
Mazty said:

True, although considering the GTX680 produces already x3 TFLOPS of the rumoured performance of Durango, optimisation can only get you so far. Don't get me wrong - I'd love the next consoles to kick out GTX680 performance (it'd save me a lot of money xD) but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm a bit of an elitist. Anything less than 30 fps min for an FPS imo isn't acceptable, plus that's only on high, not ultra, so it's safe to assume playing a top-line engine maxed out from this generation isn't even possible at 4k on single GPU cards. 

Yeah, that's a really good point about the HDMI port. I only imagine the PS4 as being a bluray/DVD/media upscaler rather than supporting 4k games. If publishers are backing out of Wii U support and it has a few million users, then I really can't see 4k games being released as the user base will be considerably smaller and that's pressuming the HDMI rumours aren't true...

Generally speaking the GTX680 hardware itself is easilly more powerful but as it has to run on a driver through an os, you can't as they say "code to the metal", since Microsoft refuse to allow low level hardware access through their operating system, with consoles you can, and with the GPU linked to the CPU directly with no interference the hardware itself ends up configuration to configuration, a lot more powerful than you'd expect - it's up to the supporting make-up such as ram, bandwidth, co-supporting hardware like that, and if the retail specs are the same as or similar to the rumored specs - eventually the 720 and ps4 will eclipse in both video quality and capability, the current generation of GPU - wether or not it'll outclass the GTX7xx or future cards released within the consoles lifetime, is up for debate but by the time developers have got the hang of these systems new gpus will be on the market, so both consoles and pcs will progress in graphical capability in tandem.

The youtube video would be a lot smoother if they didnt use fraps to record it with.

In the case of the video though the sheer resolution makes the GTX680 hit it's memory limit, it would run much better with more ram.

Any idea what the GPU chip will be for the PS4? I was a bit behind in the rumours and didn't realise it has 2.2GB (rumored) of video memory. That + 8GB RAM + 8 cores is actully very promising as those specs would make a decent PC, meaning it's the most forward thinking console to date.

Around the Network

Mazty said:

How do you know Sony will push for 4k games? It seems a lot of effort for an incredibly small user base. 1080p wasn't nearly as rare as 4k. Plus Studio Liverpool no longer exists so no more wipeout....
As I've explained to another user, the issue with 4k is the footprint and viewing distance needed for the TV. They are just far too large for most European homes.

The WipEout will be developed by another studio... I'm sure about that.

And some PSN games will run in 4k... that's not means Sony will push 4k for games... for movies is another history because Sony will definitely push 4k for movies... it's already happening.

ethomaz said:

Mazty said:

The WipEout will be developed by another studio... I'm sure about that.

And some PSN games will run in 4k... that's not means Sony will push 4k for games... for movies is another history because Sony will definitely push 4k for movies... it's already happening.

Sorry but you are just passing off complete guesses as fact. As I said, why would Sony push for 4k PSN games when such a minority will ever game at that resolution? You may as well say the PS4 will come with a HD-DVD and Beta-Max drive for the people still using those formats.

Mazty said:

Sorry but you are just passing off complete guesses as fact. As I said, why would Sony push for 4k PSN games when such a minority will ever game at that resolution? You may as well say the PS4 will come with a HD-DVD and Beta-Max drive for the people still using those formats.

No.

Sony you push BD 4k for movies and some games will be 4k in PSN... simple games are not harder to run in 4k... no extra work from devs and Sony can use they to show how 4k games looks.

I'm sure we will se a Gran Turismo 4k demo... that's how Sony every did the things.

This is not push 4k games... this is just some PSN games in 4k... I can see nothing wrong with that.

I can see how are you discussing about something that Sony already said will happen... PS4 will have 4k support... they will use that to sell 4k TVs like did with Blu-ray.

Just to show how Sony wants to push 4k.

The new update for Sony PlayMemories Studio supports 4k resolutions... on PS3.

4k is part of the core marketing for the Sony.

ethomaz said:

Mazty said:

No.

Sony you push BD 4k for movies and some games will be 4k in PSN... simple games are not harder to run in 4k... no extra work from devs and Sony can use they to show how 4k games looks.

I'm sure we will se a Gran Turismo 4k demo... that's how Sony every did the things.

This is not push 4k games... this is just some PSN games in 4k... I can see nothing wrong with that.

I can see how are you discussing about something that Sony already said will happen... PS4 will have 4k support... they will use that to sell 4k TVs like did with Blu-ray.

4k support =/= 4k game support. 
As another user pointed out, it's rumored not to have HDMI 2.0 therefore it can't run games at 4k.