By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MCV: "Devil May Cry fans to blame for DmC sales disappointment"

JWeinCom said:
It's Capcom's job to appeal to the fans, not the other way around.

Ding ding. It amazes me how, unlike 99% of other industries, the video game industry thinks that all blame of failure rests on consumers. It baffles my mind.

Around the Network

Personally, I think Capcom should have closed the last series properly before moving on. I'm not defending the 'fans' or anything, but I would have liked to see them close the story properly. It didn't have to be a video game per se. It could have been a comic or another anime. For all we know that dude is still riding around hell on his motorcycle after DMC2.

And yes ... in hindsight I think Dante needed to be revamped. I can't bash Ninja Theory for wanting to take it back to square one by showing how he goes from an immature douche to something more familiar. It is an origin story after all (in a parallel universe too lol).

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

RolStoppable said:
Just like Metroid fans were to blame for Other M sales disappointment. The incontinence of gaming journalism never ceases to amaze and disgust at the same time.

OM actually sold quite well tbh considering it's a Metroid game that split fans 1.1m doesn't really send a message to Nintendo.

NYANKS said:
NesFe said:

Capcom/Ninja Theory's job is to sell the game. Consumers can buy whatever the f**k they want. For whatever reason (nerdrage included), consumers didn't want this game as much as Capcom hoped.  Simple as that.

I know it's simple, I was just wondering what the reason was, how much was nerdrage and self-fulfilling prophecy and how much was the game being bad.  From most opinions it seems to be fine.

I'm not a fan, I like the DMC series but it was never a day one buy for me. That said, I've read lots of comments about how easier the game has become gameplay wise. Not all the complaints are about his look/hair.  Some of what I've I've read : No more Styles, 30 fps instead of 60, Less challenging even on higher difficulties, much easier SSS(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNyNX0jY7aA), Demon dodge overpowered, The game is a solid game, but not DMC etc... I'm sure a fan of the DMC series who played this game can point them out much better than me.

Boutros said:
Good job now Capcom will be scared to reboot Resident Evil :/

Chris Redfield, A.K.A. The Flex:

Hieght: 5' 5"

Wieght: 245lb

Born in the Jersey Shore, The Flex moved to Raccoon City to get his sister out of the drug/sex life. Eventually joined the Raccoon City Police.

Jill Valintine: 

Hieght: 5' 11"

Wieght: 210lb

Born in Raccoon City, Jill is a dumb blonde. Has a 40% chance of cutting herself when using the knife, 80% chance of reloading her gun with an empty mag assuming she even realizes the gun is empty. 

Around the Network

So, I got curious about something. Why do DmC supporters talk about the hair more than the haters have ever talked about it?

I've never seen supporters defend the game with anything other than "You only hate it because of the hair". At least the haters criticize everything else in the game that needs criticism.

You gotta love Capcom only they could decide to reboot a series that just came off it's best selling game and the new one looks to be the worst selling in the franchise.

Byrand said:
So, I got curious about something. Why do DmC supporters talk about the hair more than the haters have ever talked about it?

I've never seen supporters defend the game with anything other than "You only hate it because of the hair". At least the haters criticize everything else in the game that needs criticism.

Because the hair thing is so ridiculus it leaves you amazed that people would avoid the game because of it. Of course people are going to talk about the hair, it made alot of people act absurd. DmC is currently a target for people in gaming. The target changes from time to time. Sony, Nintendo, Mass Effect 3. When a company does something the people disagree with they attack it but when a loved company makes a game that has FAR FAR more problems then the game being critized they get ignored coughcoughskyrimcough.

So pretty much because Dante has white hair people are looking deeply into what problems the game does have and making a huge deal out of it, but if they loved Capcom these problems would be glanced over like they were nothing. There is a word to descirbe the community for ripping a game apart that has problems but not ripping another game apart that has 20x more. I can't remember what it is but I think it starts with an H.

Izo said:
Byrand said:

Because the hair thing is so ridiculus it leaves you amazed that people would avoid the game because of it. Of course people are going to talk about the hair, it made alot of people act absurd. DmC is currently a target for people in gaming. The target changes from time to time. Sony, Nintendo, Mass Effect 3. When a company does something the people disagree with they attack it but when a loved company makes a game that has FAR FAR more problems then the game being critized they get ignored coughcoughskyrimcough.

So pretty much because Dante has white hair people are looking deeply into what problems the game does have and making a huge deal out of it, but if they loved Capcom these problems would be glanced over like they were nothing. There is a word to descirbe the community for ripping a game apart that has problems but not ripping another game apart that has 20x more. I can't remember what it is but I think it starts with an H.

That's wrong. I see Skyrim getting ripped apart a lot of times. It's just that no gaming "journalists" makes a huge deal out of it. DMC fans might hate Skyrim too, but who makes a huge deal out of it? Nobody. That's why people never hear anything about Skyrim getting ripped apart.

NesFe said:
NYANKS said:
NesFe said:

Capcom/Ninja Theory's job is to sell the game. Consumers can buy whatever the f**k they want. For whatever reason (nerdrage included), consumers didn't want this game as much as Capcom hoped.  Simple as that.

I know it's simple, I was just wondering what the reason was, how much was nerdrage and self-fulfilling prophecy and how much was the game being bad.  From most opinions it seems to be fine.

I'm not a fan, I like the DMC series but it was never a day one buy for me. That said, I've read lots of comments about how easier the game has become gameplay wise. Not all the complaints are about his look/hair.  Some of what I've I've read : No more Styles, 30 fps instead of 60, Less challenging even on higher difficulties, much easier SSS(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNyNX0jY7aA), Demon dodge overpowered, The game is a solid game, but not DMC etc... I'm sure a fan of the DMC series who played this game can point them out much better than me.

Yeah I'm not sure either, but I have heard the easier thing.  That would be a good reason, but I thought Wind Waker was super easy and it's one of my favorite Zeldas lmao.  Makes sense though, it's supposed to be super hard, I get that.