By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can PSP's Saviours be million seller? Crisis Core and God of War

Hopefully God of war will do well seeing as how it does look like a decent game.

Around the Network
chancheung said:
Crisis Core: 1.70million. I've played the Japanese version, It sucks, it couldn't sell 700k in Japan if it's name didn't come with FF.
God of War: Over 2 million. It just deserves it.
but neither of them would be the PSP savior, the savior should be Monster Hunter Portable 2G

@chan,

I've heard some good and bad things about CC:FFVII and most people I know like this game. Maybe this game didn't rub you in the right way, but it is one of the best games among PSP's library.

I doubt MHP2G will see it's release in the western market. There is no question that MHP2G will help PSP sale in Japan, Capcom and Sony can sell out as many PSP bundles as they can make. However, Capcom seems to be very conservative about its sell in Japan. In their financial report, the target of MHP2G sale in Japan wan't even above 1 million.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

PSP needs saving? Sony make money on each unit sold so I am not too sure on that. I mean it's selling 80k in Japan a week at the moment with no big games released... I am not sure how much saving the PSP actually needs.

As for software... goodness me... 2 games selling does not equal saving. Besides, in Japan I do not believe piracy to be the issue or Monster Hunter would have not stayed on the charts for 12mths. In the US maybe, but there hasn't exactly been a lot of games released for the PSP lately in the US and PSP software is selling in Europe. People think too much of the US... they seem to think that games live or die by their sales and they really don't.

Piracy is given way too much credit for the PSP's weak software sales. The price of the games and the fact that the device does a lot more than just play games is really what hurts it. Only PSP games I've seen are Daxter and CastlevaniaX, because my roommate uses it more for its media capabilities (though he likes playing games on it just fine). Though he does want to hack it, he would still purchase worthwhile games if the opportunity arose.

Anyway, the PSP doesn't need to be saved.  Handhelds traditionally have low attachrates and they'd be worse if you took Nintendo out of the picture, which is pretty much how the PSP has played out.  Given that it's more than just a game device, it's actually selling fairly well.  They'd like more, no doubt, but the system is so far only halfway through its life or so (maybe less, who knows) and it has already well outsold many a console so far. 

Before long the PSP will have outsold any non-Sony, non-Nintendo piece of videogame hardare, and if it does as well for the next 3 years as it has doen the last 3 then it will likely pass the NES in hardware sales.  Hardly in need of a savior, I'd say.  They just need to actually put good games on the system.  Really, it's only a lack of decent titles that makes it look like such a joke.  People could deal with it being a lower attach than Nintendo due t its nature, but selling more hardware than software some weeks in some places is just plain bad.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

kingofwale said:
I'm hoping 2 million for Crisis Core, (with close to 800K head start)

and 1.5 million for God of War.

but with PSP's software number, I might have to start a "BUY Crisis Core and God of War" campaign.

if those two games can't sell, nothing on PSP will. Last great game on PSP, MGS Portable Ops was a million copy seller.

I agree with that, the same as the patapon stuff. I will certainly buy these games (I still haven't decided whether just to import CC) and with KH BBS and FF Disidea coming out at the end of this year, the PSP should do well. However, I am concerned about the fact that wipeout and pursuit force have hardly sold anything at all, despite being great games. Purusit force had an opening week of 6k sales in the US, and the European sales have not been recorded

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
kingofwale said:

but with PSP's software number, I might have to start a "BUY Crisis Core and God of War" campaign.

if those two games can't sell, nothing on PSP will. Last great game on PSP, MGS Portable Ops was a million copy seller.

I agree with that, the same as the patapon stuff. I will certainly buy these games (I still haven't decided whether just to import CC) and with KH BBS and FF Disidea coming out at the end of this year, the PSP should do well. However, I am concerned about the fact that wipeout and pursuit force have hardly sold anything at all, despite being great games. Purusit force had an opening week of 6k sales in the US, and the European sales have not been recorded

I would advice against it, especially so close to US release, I imported the game on first day (via eBay) and even with some Japanese knowledge, I find the orb combination very difficult to understand. (you pretty much have to comebine 2 magics + money to form a stronger magic). Not the most import friendly game. But I will import Dissidea, man, that game will be awesome.

I think "Operation PIMP CC/GoW" Will be in full speed soon.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
Munkeh111 said:
kingofwale said:

I would advice against it, especially so close to US release, I imported the game on first day (via eBay) and even with some Japanese knowledge, I find the orb combination very difficult to understand. (you pretty much have to comebine 2 magics + money to form a stronger magic). Not the most import friendly game. But I will import Dissidea, man, that game will be awesome.

I think "Operation PIMP CC/GoW" Will be in full speed soon.

I meant import from the US, since the release date has not been set for Europe yet, and the boxart will be nicer

FishyJoe said:
Like the GameCube, a handful of decent selling titles doesn't really save you from anything.
 Do you have to come every time to PSP threads and tell us how misserably it will fail ?  Anyways . If we take worlldwide lifetime I would say : CC : 2.5+ CoO 2 + ( millions ) . GoW will probably be bundled later on just like Daxter , and that game will sell ~ 2.5 million lifetime . Crisis Core will sell more worldwide , thankfully for Japan . 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I'm willing to bet that god of war wont sell a million. As for crisis core I think it will sell around just under 2 million. Nothing can save the psp software unless you create an uncrackable disc and firmware. Hardware wise its doing fine and its making sony money, so all you sony fans need not worry.

FishyJoe said:
Like the GameCube, a handful of decent selling titles doesn't really save you from anything.

with over 30 million console sold, and outsold DS in Japan in last 2 weeks, why does it need 'saving'? ;)

Sure, it's no handheld winner, but it's far from Gamecube.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)