By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's unrealistic pricing for old-school platformers et al.

Tagged games:

TruckOSaurus said:

You do realize that the vast majority of Angry Birds downloads are the free ad-supported version right. NSMBW generated a lot more revenue than Angry Birds.

I was just countering the argument that lowering the price leads to lower revenue. It didn't consider the possibility of actually increasing the sales volume.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Spazzy_D said:

How is Street Fighter 4 not a "retro" concept?  The original roster was even mostly comprised of Street Fighter 2 characters.  Should this game be priced the same as a Tekken game, which has more complex models and chracters with many more moves and animations?  Hell, a lot of people think that it only sold so well because of nostalgia of all things!

No, in my opinion SFIV is a very high quality game despite being retro and it's my understanding that it cost them a lot to make, both artistically, in terms of balancing and gameplay mechanics and what have you.

I don't think that's a fair way of judging SFIV. I do think it's fair with NSMB.

There you go with opinion again.  I felt the game was throw back that did everything possible to recapture old SF 2 fans, unlike a game like SF 3 that tooks chances.  1.) You don't have any actual numbers to reference how much NSMB takes to make 2.) Even if it's made on the cheap, many people see it as high quality, based on reviews and sales.

Shouldn't 3D platformers also be at a way lower price? They have been around for almost 20 years after all. Super Mario Galaxy followed the same formula as Super Mario 64. Shouldn't Galaxy be at $10 tops then?

Planetside 2 offers a deep FPS experience for the nice price of $0. Does that mean that $60 shooters are way overpriced?

TruckOSaurus said:
I read page one and I have to say your argument is weak on many points.

Value is relative. To me, there's very few games this generation that I liked more than Donkey Kong Country Returns, it had challenge, amazing level design, awesome gameplay, tons of replay value. To me, this is a game I'll keep for years to come and that I will replay many times. So I feel in no way robbed, DKCR has tremendous value and if my game disc were to scratch, I'd buy it again.

Comparing platformers to League of Legends makes absolutely no sense at all. LoL lives on microtransactions, what do you propose platformers should do? Forcing you to buy new lives when you're game over? Replace Toad Houses by a store where you buy power ups?

@last para. And why doesn't it make sense, simply based on the marketting model? I wasn't suggesting that NSMB be free to play either. Please don't argue just to argue :P

All I was comparing LoL to NSMB on was based on effort required to make the game, and the game's appeal. I was simply saying that there is a lot of interest in LoL and I gave the numbers to back it up. The competition is growing and it is my humble opinion that Nintendo need to be aware of that and either adjust its projections or adjust its price, where in today's day and age it may not be acceptable to price a game at 50$ when games of similar effort are sold much cheaper.

That's really all I was saying.

Spazzy_D said:

There you go with opinion again.  I felt the game was throw back that did everything possible to recapture old SF 2 fans, unlike a game like SF 3 that tooks chances.  1.) You don't have any actual numbers to reference how much NSMB takes to make 2.) Even if it's made on the cheap, many people see it as high quality, based on reviews and sales.

Yeah, SF4 was omega-retro. It's pretty much SF2 with a new skin. That's what made it awsome though!

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

You do realize that the vast majority of Angry Birds downloads are the free ad-supported version right. NSMBW generated a lot more revenue than Angry Birds.

I was just countering the argument that lowering the price leads to lower revenue. It didn't consider the possibility of actually increasing the sales volume.

NSMBW is at 26.61m right now. Let's say they've all been sold at $59.99 from simplicity's sake that's  $1,596m in revenue.

If you lower the price by $10, you would need 31.93m copies sold to achieve the same revenue... do you honestly think there's 5.3m people that were interested in NSMBW but backed down because it was $10 too expensive for them?

Signature goes here!

forest-spirit said:
Shouldn't 3D platformers also be at a way lower price? They have been around for almost 20 years after all. Super Mario Galaxy followed the same formula as Super Mario 64. Shouldn't Galaxy be at $10 tops then?

Planetside 2 offers a deep FPS experience for the nice price of $0. Does that mean that $60 shooters are way overpriced?

The problem is that cutting-edge 3D games like Halo 4 or even high-production 3D games like Galaxy require a lot more effort, general rule, than 2D games.

I conceded that I considered SFIV a high-production game, but it's the exception to the rule imho. The game seems to have required a lot of work in terms of artistic detail, much more than NSMB. And the gameplay at least appears to require more fine-tuning in terms of balancing and timing and all that. I'm not an expert but it's my understanding of it.

TruckOSaurus said:
happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

NSMBW is at 26.61m right now. Let's say they've all been sold at $59.99 from simplicity's sake that's  $1,596m in revenue.

If you lower the price by $10, you would need 31.93m copies sold to achieve the same revenue... do you honestly think there's 5.3m people that were interested in NSMBW but backed down because it was $10 too expensive for them?

Why not, if Angry Birds had 250m people interested, the market is out there...

? Did i say anything about lower revenue? I'm asking why high budget games dont have the selling price they deserve in happydolphins idea.. Or does 60 bucks seems justified when studios are closing left and right.. Can you justify the 60 bucks standard? It should be more cause they invested more..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:
happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Why not, if Angry Birds had 250m people interested, the market is out there...

But if you have to lower your revenue to get that market then it's not worth it.

Signature goes here!