By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's unrealistic pricing for old-school platformers et al.

Tagged games:

What a weird complaint.

1) demand is there, so they keep selling at that price
2) those games are actually some of the best games available on the Wii and 3DS - or even best games period, depending on your tastes
3) I would argue that some of the downloadable games you mentioned are not in the same league, quantity or quality wise
4) and lastly, you can get them for less than the MSRP

2D Platformers are a tough sell at full price today, that's true. Nintendo is the exception, cause they are the king of platformers. Simple as that.

WHY are Nintendo the king of platformers? Well because they take 2D games as seriously as they did back in the 90s. People assume making a 2D game is a piece of cake, browser game style. It is! But then the result is going to be a turd. I'd argue that a brilliant 2D platformer is just as hard to make as it was back then, and just as hard as a 3D blockbuster. Only cheaper because of the smaller / fewer assets.

Around the Network
SwansVanTerif said:
oniyide said:
SwansVanTerif said:
Yeah. just look at the sales. Nobody wants these expensive platformers. That's the reason these games hit the bargin so quicly.

well to be fair alot of them do, just not the Ninty ones. Rayman, Lost in Shadow, A boy and his blob, etc.

Well, this whole thread is about Nintendos platformers, so I don't see how that is relavant.

The OP mentioned other games as well, but i do see your point Ninty ones are the only ones that can sell at that price. and maybe LBP

happydolphin said:
Wyrdness said:
This argument has various flaws as some of you may as well say that because some 2d fighting games can be downloaded for cheap SF4 should have been cheap on release as well when that's not how things work. People have gone over quality being down to the individual and market so the's no need to touch that, I personally find the first party offering far superior to the listed alternatives in both design and quality with only Trine standing out some what. To bring up such an argument for a thread you'll have to do a more direct comparison then simply use your opinion on value and quality and compare prices, for example NSMBU has MP for 5 people, challenge modes and about 10hr minimum playtime with extras unlocking afterward, I hear one of the games listed barely has 2hrs for starters which highlights the flaws in the format you've chosen for criticism.

There are fair criticisms to OP it isn't immaculate. An example that drives the point is League of Legends. The game is free to play and has an immense following. I would be hard-pressed to find that at 1$ it would not sell. Though it's true that the cheaper the game, the cheaper the price of admission (to the new IP), but these games are growing in popularity and will create low-end disruption over the next few years.

Street Fighter IV was, visually speaking, much deeper than NSMB, and I can only guess that it required much more work. If you play SFIV, you'll notice the detail in the characters is almost perfect.

LOL is a flawed argument, I play SC2 but have zero interest in LOL to me the game doesn't look like the's much for me to keep interested comparing such a game to a 2d platformer which has a drastically different dynamic in how it plays and functions is a monumental flaw of an argument in itself. I'm not convinced at all that these games will create disruptions I remember hearing years back how Facebook games would hurt console gaming in future I see games like these as the usual once in a while blip on the radar.

SFIV is still a 2d fighter no two ways about it by your logic in the op it should be sold for the same price as the downloadable 2d fighters (some on PC are even free as well) and these have online as well which debunks Oni's mention of online. Detail on characters doesn't pertain value in cost otherwise games like The Bouncer should be sold at high prices and even then detail and all that come down to your personal preference as someone could easily knock LOL for not looking as good as other games, fact is the format of criticism here is flawed like it or not the quality and design in the first party games are consistently regarded top notch and consistent with a good amount of playtime with in the games. SFIV can charge more because the gameplay experience is of good quality and enjoyed by many same goes for the game's you're complaining about for a reference KOFXII had good character detail and was a wayward game.

As long as they remain in the lists of top-selling games for months and years on end, I'd say Nintendo would be beyond stupid NOT to charge as much for those games. The market (consumers) basically decide whether a game's worth its asking price. If they thought it was too expensive, they wouldn't buy it. Obviously games that sell 5-30 million are worth it, whatever same angry random forum poster online may think.

Also, if they were on Sony or Microsoft's systems, they'd sell for $10 more.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

oniyide said:
Fireforgey said:

Rolstoppable said:

So this another one of this thread's where you are trying to force your opinion on everyone.

Newsflash: Opinions differ and people can buy what they want with their money. So what you'll see in this thread will be a lot of people that tell you that they gladly paid $50 for Nintendo games and don't regret it one bit.

Also, if others are offering more interesting games at a much better price, then why aren't they outselling Nintendo games? The obvious answer is that others aren't offering more interesting games at better prices and their only option to even compete with Nintendo is to drastically undercut Nintendo's prices.

In my humble opinion, Nintendo is selling at that price on brand alone, and that can only go so far.

Had super mario been released on Steam with no prior name recognition, at 60$, you can be sure Trine 2 will destroy it in sales. Temple Run is selling much more than Nintendo games, so is Angry Birds, so if it's sales you need you have them. League of Legends probably has an immense userbase at the moment.

From Wikipedia: As of July 2012, League of Legends had over 32 million registrations and averages 12 million players worldwide per day, with the number of concurrent users online at any given time peaking over 3 million. Players also collectively log 1 billion hours per month, making League of Legends the world's most played video game[46][47]

People bought Mario for 50$, I'm thinking that with the increased competition from the marketplace, with games of IMHO competing value, the markup will no longer be in Nintendo's favor. I'm not sure how this is me imposing my opinions on anybody...

About the bold and underlined.

I refer you to Rayman Origins.  Very little brand recognition, but it was an awesome game that was recieved magnificantly.  It is now building up (not down mind you) a brand that is a 2D platformer priced at $60.  So.....Yeah.

problem is nobody bought Rayman Origins at that price. It dropped about 10 after only being on shelves for 2 weeks. A year after release it was being sold for twenty bucks.

You mean like every other front heavy (in terms of sales) FPS in existance? 

Honestly this proves my point perfectly.  People bought it at the price they deemed fair.  Most people thought, I don't know this franchise but it got good reviews I'll wait for a price drop.

Mario on the other hand, people are willing to pay full price for it, when they stop being will to do that (read never) it will sell steadly at $30 or even $20.  The fair price is currently $60.  I don't understand the point of this thread.

Around the Network

I'm sorry HappyD, but I gotta disagree with you. Like others said, I'm with them. Unless the mass (and I mean with ALL of the traditional gamers like ourselves) really makes a major shift to to play games on smartphones/PC, this long term you say is going to be a really LONG term!

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
RolStoppable said:
$10 for a game like Limbo is much more expensive than $60 for NSMBU.

Damnit, you got there before me!

I LOVE ICELAND!

happydolphin said:
Spazzy_D said:

You don't judge the market price, THE MARKET SETS THE VALUE.  THAT IS HOW IT IS DEFINED.  If their is no makret for the game, then people won't buy it.

It's simple, if people don't buy the games, the price is lowered, until that happens, though, they are sold for the correct percieved value.

Um.... at Nintendo, when they set the price..... how do they or in your mind it's done magically by the market?

Companies use the information they have at hand to make an educated guess as to what a fair market value would be for their product.  If they go too low, their product will sell out, like the Wii did when it was first released.  If they go too high, sales will be very low.  The market has shown that it loves 2D platformers from Nintendo.  So Nintendo prices their games accordingly.

It is simple supply and demand.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Fireforgey said:
oniyide said:
Fireforgey said:

Rolstoppable said:

So this another one of this thread's where you are trying to force your opinion on everyone.

Newsflash: Opinions differ and people can buy what they want with their money. So what you'll see in this thread will be a lot of people that tell you that they gladly paid $50 for Nintendo games and don't regret it one bit.

Also, if others are offering more interesting games at a much better price, then why aren't they outselling Nintendo games? The obvious answer is that others aren't offering more interesting games at better prices and their only option to even compete with Nintendo is to drastically undercut Nintendo's prices.

In my humble opinion, Nintendo is selling at that price on brand alone, and that can only go so far.

Had super mario been released on Steam with no prior name recognition, at 60$, you can be sure Trine 2 will destroy it in sales. Temple Run is selling much more than Nintendo games, so is Angry Birds, so if it's sales you need you have them. League of Legends probably has an immense userbase at the moment.

From Wikipedia: As of July 2012, League of Legends had over 32 million registrations and averages 12 million players worldwide per day, with the number of concurrent users online at any given time peaking over 3 million. Players also collectively log 1 billion hours per month, making League of Legends the world's most played video game[46][47]

People bought Mario for 50$, I'm thinking that with the increased competition from the marketplace, with games of IMHO competing value, the markup will no longer be in Nintendo's favor. I'm not sure how this is me imposing my opinions on anybody...

About the bold and underlined.

I refer you to Rayman Origins.  Very little brand recognition, but it was an awesome game that was recieved magnificantly.  It is now building up (not down mind you) a brand that is a 2D platformer priced at $60.  So.....Yeah.

problem is nobody bought Rayman Origins at that price. It dropped about 10 after only being on shelves for 2 weeks. A year after release it was being sold for twenty bucks.

You mean like every other front heavy (in terms of sales) FPS in existance? 

Honestly this proves my point perfectly.  People bought it at the price they deemed fair.  Most people thought, I don't know this franchise but it got good reviews I'll wait for a price drop.

Mario on the other hand, people are willing to pay full price for it, when they stop being will to do that (read never) it will sell steadly at $30 or even $20.  The fair price is currently $60.  I don't understand the point of this thread.

no, they dont, name me an FPS that dropped its price right after release and kept dropping for months on end? None of the heavy hitters have ever done that. The COD games sell full price sometimes even after their sequel releases. 

I agree with everything else you are saying for the most part. Rayman is a franchise that has been around for years. IMHO Ubi messed by relegating it to the terrible(IMHO) raving rabbids nonsense. As ive already stated if it aint a Mario game or possibly DK, its not going to put up massive numbers at those prices, even some of Ninty's other 2d platformers dont do as well, Wario, Kirby etc.

I take this as evidence that certain downloadable titles are massively undervalued.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero