By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are we getting more stupid?

Are we getting more stupid?

Yes 85 72.65%

No 20 17.09%

Maybe? 12 10.26%

Total:117

Around the Network

Your average person? Yes they are becoming less and less intelligent. Blame the Drugs or any other social issue all I know is that if we don't reverse the trend humanity is doomed.

Yes, but I don't think it's because the lack of natural selection, but rather the fact that we're breeding ourselves to be more stupid. Uneducated people on average marry earlier and have more kids, so their population grows much more rapidly than the educated population. A more interesting question would be: what should we as a society do in order to reverse this trend, if anything at all?

the stupider people are the easier it is to control them

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Yeah, no doubt. For a while the trend will be masked by higher standards of living and then the IQ tests themselves will become easier, but after that?

The only thing I can think of to prevent this is to keep those with less... cognitive abilities to only a single child and massive incentives for those in the opposite camp to have three or more. Like, otherwise they would have taxes that would make the french president proud. Better than giving away money with this economy :P

on a genetic level intelligence is distributed very evenly among humans - we don't become more stupid from people that are phenotypically stupid reproducing faster, as they usually have the same genetic preposition as "intelligent" people, but they just lack the effort/upbringing/circumstances to bring that out in them

there are individuals with genetic defects/mutations/alterations that have a lower genetical base level of intelligence, but these people can very well have more intelligent offspring even if two of them are having children

I don't understand the question.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Lafiel said:

on a genetic level intelligence is distributed very evenly among humans - we don't become more stupid from people that are phenotypically stupid reproducing faster, as they usually have the same genetic preposition as "intelligent" people, but they just lack the effort/upbringing/circumstances to bring that out in them

there are individuals with genetic defects/mutations/alterations that have a lower genetical base level of intelligence, but these people can very well have more intelligent offspring even if two of them are having children

I like that answer.