By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: EoW Trailer Shows Off Still World, Swordfighter Form

Best Zelda news from the June Nintendo Direct?

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom 6 75.00%

Four Swords on NSO 0 0%

Hyrule Edition Switch Lite 2 25.00%

Total:8
Wyrdness said:

SS remaster apparently was hinted at by Aonuma at some event, for those who haven't tried SS it was the game in the series that pushed for a changed in approach such as reducing focus on dungeons and introducing new aspects such as crafting and upgrading items as well as making NPCs and set pieces more naturally integrated. SS used a more compact structure that was more closer to Metroid and utilized a number of set pieces and was the game that introduced the Loftwing, some of the best dungeons were in SS it's also the earliest game in the Zelda timeline.

The director of SS would later return with his team to direct BOTW.

https://www.thenerdmag.com/legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-for-nintendo-switch/

Uh, not really? It's the most puzzle-heavy game in the series, which is why I love it so much. Skyward Sword HD? Yes, please!

Around the Network
Vini256 said:
Wyrdness said:

SS remaster apparently was hinted at by Aonuma at some event, for those who haven't tried SS it was the game in the series that pushed for a changed in approach such as reducing focus on dungeons and introducing new aspects such as crafting and upgrading items as well as making NPCs and set pieces more naturally integrated. SS used a more compact structure that was more closer to Metroid and utilized a number of set pieces and was the game that introduced the Loftwing, some of the best dungeons were in SS it's also the earliest game in the Zelda timeline.

The director of SS would later return with his team to direct BOTW.

https://www.thenerdmag.com/legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-for-nintendo-switch/

Uh, not really? It's the most puzzle-heavy game in the series, which is why I love it so much. Skyward Sword HD? Yes, please!

The puzzles were fantastic. I hope they add normal controlls to the motion controlls.

XD84 said:

The puzzles were fantastic. I hope they add normal controlls to the motion controlls.

As long as it has both I'm happy. Can't go wrong with improved motion controls (Because of the Joycon) + regular controls for those who prefer it.

The were less dungeons in SS than in previous games before BOTW it had the least amount of dungeons after ST they were just more intricate than previous games most of the events in SS took place outside of them:

ST - 6
SS - 7
TP - 10
WW - 9
OOT - 12
MM - 10
ALTTP - 10 (11 in DX)
ALBW - 12
PH - 8
LOZ - 9

mZuzek said:
Sure but I didn't feel it had any less focus on the dungeons compared to the previous games. The amount of them was similar to those found in many games such as Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and Zelda 2 for example, and it always felt the game was leading up to them. The only difference is that Skyward Sword forces more of its content on you between its dungeons, whereas the previous Zelda games usually allowed you to go straight from one to the other. Given how good all of the dungeons were as well, I'd never say it's the Zelda game that reduced focus on them, the one that holds that title is obviously Breath of the Wild.

Focusing content outside of dungeons is less focus on dungeons :/

That's my whole point the game had dungeons but the main bulk of content regarding playing through the game was outside of them where as other games it was only centred around the dungeons, that's reducing focus on dungeons and placing it on the game world itself as that's the foundation of what lead to BOTW removing them as mandatory points in the game and just having the game world carry most of the content.

Around the Network
Vini256 said:
XD84 said:

As long as it has both I'm happy. Can't go wrong with improved motion controls (Because of the Joycon) + regular controls for those who prefer it.

I am sure that they wont remove motion controls. 

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

Pretty much; back in 1998, the sense of adventure, scale, and sheer epicness was unparalleled, it really did feel like the video game equivalent of something like The Lord of the Rings. It wasn't until BOTW that the series recaptured this feeling that it was pushing the boundaries of video games as a medium.

Honestly, as someone who played both TES: Daggerfall and Might & Magic VI before OOT back in days, I found it to be a charming game, but actually nowhere near the scope of those two games. Not the same genre, but if we're talking pure adventure, scale and exploration it was severely lacking compared to them.

Admittedly, console and PC gaming were quite apart in those days, so I doubt many console gamers had a chance to experience these PC games, so I can see where this line of thinking might be coming from.

I didn't even find OOT to match up with the scope, scale, and quality of Final Fantasy VII. 

I once did a category by category breakdown (Audio, visual, fidelity, length, controls, side content, variety of content, etc), and OOT only won in the 'fun factor' category.  FFVII's world was bigger,t he story was longer and better written, there were more and better developed characters, more things to do, and the shoddy controls hurt FFVII less because it was turn-based. And the game came out a year earlier. 

You COULD argue that OOT had the more iconic and memorable music, but it also had some godawful tracks (Forest temple, anyone?) whereas FFVII was good or great all around. I'd also say One Winged Angel is better than anything in OOT. but music preferences are purely subjective. 

I do agree that OOT was ambitious and it succeeded in many ways, but I think many games - even ones within its own franchise - have done better before and since. LTTP had more dungeons and mastered the 'two-worlds' mechanic better while also pioneering the game structure. Twilight PRincess did everything OOT did but better. Wolf link is more engaging than old/young link. Midna is better than Navi, and while I do agree the opening was torturous, the actual game has more content, a bigger world, and better graphics. 

Then again, outside of JRPGs and a few sidescrolling games as well as a handful of others (like MarioKart), I felt the entire 5th generation was pretty much trash. A huge stepping point in gaming but one that hasn't held up well at all.  

I recently went back and installed 2000 NES games, 790 SNES games, and 50 N64 games on my phone and I've been having a blast playing SNES games but can't be bothered to play N64 or NES games. N64 games are clunky and unrefined while NES games are too simple to be engaging outside of a handful of classics. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

I really like Skyward Sword; it has its issues, but its fantastic dungeons and the motion-plus powered swordplay made it a strong 8/10 in my book. I'm always flip-flopping between it and Twilight Princess for the #3 spot in my "best Zelda games" list.

That said, I don't buy games I already own, so I'll pass on Skyward Sword HD. If I wanted to replay it, I have a perfectly functional Wii version.

I would like Skyward Sword to have a second chance. The game gets maligned a little too much in my opinion. While I have not finished it yet, I think Skyward Sword is a quality game that can be appreciated for what it attempted to do. I somewhat get the criticism of the game being too linear and some having issues with the motion controls (though I had no real issue with them when I played), but the puzzles were pretty good and I liked the more-focused gameplay and story it provided. Zelda in Skyward Sword gave me more of a reason to save her, being Link's close friend and hinted (?) love interest. The SS and BoTW versions of Zelda are the two best in my opinion, with Tetra and OoT Zelda being close second. Hopefully, this comes true in one way or another.

Wyrdness said:

The were less dungeons in SS than in previous games before BOTW it had the least amount of dungeons after ST they were just more intricate than previous games most of the events in SS took place outside of them:

ST - 6
SS - 7
TP - 10
WW - 9
OOT - 12
MM - 10
ALTTP - 10 (11 in DX)
ALBW - 12
PH - 8
LOZ - 9

How do you get to 10 dungeons in MM? It really only has 5, 6 I guess because you could count Ikana Castle. For 10, you’d need to at least count Pirate Fortress and Deku Palace which I’d say are sketchy to count, because then you can count Lanayru Desert or some other puzzle area in Skyward Sword as well. Then you’re at 8. So the last two are the Skulltula Houses? Those aren’t dungeons as far as I’m concerned. Wind Waker at 9 is also being generous

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 26 November 2018