By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best shooter in the past 5 years?

both of my favourites this gen are released in 2007 which are bioshock and halo 3. may i ask you why you want games from 2008 and not 2007? because that is excluding two of the best games this whole gen which makes it really hard for me to pick something^^

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Not exactly. I meant what i said.  The opinion part on the thread was a mess up on my part but no i meant what i said. i mustve missed the pick yours part which is why im saying i messed up but  You would have more accurate results by asking people off the street than this site if you wanted to hear something more accurate.   But i was waiting for someone to say how i was wrong in some shape or another but at least you pointed out in how i was wrong by misreading.

Are you making the popularity = quality argument?

not in this case.  Critically acclaimed and more popular.  Good single player games and great multiplayer games.  Im saying they are of better quality and that is why they are played so much, hence them being addicting.  

I was tired when I wrote what I wrote last night so it may have came off wrong but yes Halo and Call of Duty has been the best shooters this gen from a wide appeal.

Best Single player Shooter - Uncharted 2 (It's shooting mechanics are actually not that great) 
Best TPS - Gears of War
Best FPS CoD4, Halo
Best Survival Horror -  Dead Space
Best Zombie game - Left 4 Dead
Best Scifi - Halo

Im probably Missing some categories but Halo and Call of Duty are popular because of how afddicting and good they are.  Notice I didnt say Black ops 2 or MW3.  I chose Call of Duty 4 because that is when it was completely original and nobody can argue that it isnt good regardless if you like it or not. If you want to say Halo and CoD are not of quality then i dont even want to debate with you.  

P.S. I hate CoD now and you wont here me saying its bad.  I just wish they wouldnt release it yearly and maybe update the game.

Battlefield 3, the complete package really.

Dishonored for single player and Battlefield 3 for multiplayer.

CGI-Quality said:
JayWood2010 said:

not in this case.  Critically acclaimed and more popular.  Good single player games and great multiplayer games.  Im saying they are of better quality and that is why they are played so much, hence them being addicting.  

I was tired when I wrote what I wrote last night so it may have came off wrong but yes Halo and Call of Duty has been the best shooters this gen from a wide appeal.

Best Single player Shooter - Uncharted 2 (It's shooting mechanics are actually not that great) 
Best TPS - Gears of War
Best FPS CoD4, Halo
Best Scifi - Halo

Im probably Missing some categories but Halo and Call of Duty are popular because of how afddicting and good they are.  Notice I didnt say Black ops 2 or MW3.  I chose Call of Duty 4 because that is when it was completely original and nobody can argue that it isnt good regardless if you like it or not. If you want to say Halo and CoD are not of quality then i dont even want to debate with you.  

P.S. I hate CoD now and you wont here me saying its bad.  I just wish they wouldnt release it yearly and maybe update the game.

You're still generalizing when the thread just asked for a simple opinion. Just become something is "more popular" doesn't mean it's a universally "better game". I know tons of people that would disagree with every game you just listed for those categories, for instance.

You know tons of people? O_O

Around the Network

Wow even this thread exploded into intense discussion. :O

2009 was awesome. MW2/Uncharted 2. Am out.

JayWood2010 said:

Best TPS - Gears of War
Best FPS CoD4, Halo
Best Scifi - Halo

So critical acclaim + popularity is the objective measure of quality. Great.

Halo 4, No doubt! This piece of treasure just has amazing Campaign, another free-dlc campaign known as Spartan ops, awesome multiplayer, forge for making very own maps and theater. What content can you ask anymore?

Killzone 2 / Resistance 3.

Take my love, take my land..

CGI-Quality said:
JayWood2010 said:

Best TPS - Gears of War
Best FPS CoD4, Halo
Best Scifi - Halo

You're still generalizing when the thread just asked for a simple opinion. Because something is "more popular" doesn't mean it's a universally "better game", (otherwise, I should see you should defend Gran Turismo over Forza every time). I know tons of people that would disagree with every game you just listed for those categories, but it doesn't make either side right or wrong. Many of them have a working formula, yes, but so do plenty of other titles that will never reach mainstream success like CoD or Halo, such as Bioshock and Dishonored.

Either way, the bit was pointless.

No, he asked me a question so i answered it.  Dont act like i was just saying thing.  i admitted i was wrong last night for saying it in the first place because I did not see take your pick.

And maybe Im not completely explaining myself but you cant say that Gran Turismo hasnt been good because it has.  There has been a reason that GT has gotten popular in the first place and that is nothing against forza because I do feel forza 4 is better than GT5 but Gran Turismo has been of quality since the beginning.  And I also want to point out with racers you are in the same situation as with shooters.  It is such a general term.  Forza, F1, Need For Speed Shift, and Gran Turismo is a like as they are all sims but then you have off road, arcade, kart racing, etc.  

But when it comes down to it  there is only 5 games this generation that has both good sinle player and multiplayer when it comes to shooter which include Halo, CoD, Uncharted, Gears, and Killzone.  Ill throw in Resistance in there since I know the first one was popular for its multiplayer.  Im not talking about a mediocre multiplayer or single player but actually good and addicting. Popularity with multiplayer has been like this for years, people play the ones that are good and that is why people keep coming back.  If you want to prove me wrong, then why do people keep coming back to play something if it isnt good? 

Just like Gran Turismo becoming popular for a reason so did halo and cod and that is not to disrespect the other titles that i mentioned because as you know my favorite is gears.  In fact i pretty much hate CoD now but i know that the mechanics are great in the game as well as it being insanely addicting.  People dont even rival halo with killzone anymore, they rival it with call of duty now.  How many exclusive games get rivaled against multiplatform games?  Why because they are the two best in the industry right now and it is the exact reason that they have the potential to sell 10m copies per console.

While we are on the subject of GT and Forza though I do want to point out once again that they are the two most popular racers in the industry again.  Why?  because of the quality from the brand.  Not just one game, but the entire brand.

P.S. you saying a ton of people....Im assuming it is no where near as many as the 20 million people who play cod or the 10 million people who play halo. Just saying