By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Racial Violence In the US

justinian said:
wfz said:
Back where I grew up, Indians and Hispanics used to have gang wars against each other.

I don't know why Hispanics feel the need to be so aggressive to other minorities (I'm assuming this is the case, since I've never heard of the other minorities attacking each other).

With the current rate of US immigration I wonder how long before whites become part of that minority.

Guesstimates put hispanics at 30 to 40 percent in our lifetime ( if you are less than forty something).

I believe this year they will be the majority in CA. Maybe its next year, but its coming. I wouldn't place the blame solely on the hispanics, I am sure it was iniated by both, hispanics have just imigrated more, and had more kids. So now they are really laying into the blacks with superior numbers. Its sad though, even in the news from around I dont see to much talk of it.

Around the Network

You say the southern states are most affected but the article just deals with southern California, which is no where near the southern states. Also, the article mentions it's been happening in Compton since the 1990s, and that's pretty well known to any the studies demographic changes or urban crime. This isn't new. It isn't going to change.

About 10 years ago a black friend of mine told me he was racist against hispanics. I'm not sure of all of the issues and don't even want to get into some of them. However, if the war on drugs, the war on poverty, the war on prostitution and the war on guns were all slowly rolled back over the next several years, I think most of the violence would end. I doubt it will end, though, as the government is likely to increase the intensity in most of those wars.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

mrstickball said:
Unfortunately, the vast majority of crimes are caused by minorities in the US. If you removed blacks and hispanics from crime statistics, the United States has a crime rate that is well inside the median of European standards (something like 1.1 murders per 100,000 instead of ~3.9).

So the solution is to look at why minorities cause so much more crime. Unemployment, education, and a lack of opportunities are powerful driving forces. Educated minorities with college educations (even just 1 year of education) see murder rates drop by 80-90%, and are very similar to whites in regards to crime. So I think there's a lot that has to be done for those growing up in the ghettos that graduate only a fraction of minorities. Unfortunately, its a cyclical mess, because such issues keep continuing.

Like Soleron said, drug legalization is an important step. I think that education has to really be taken care of in urban areas - the public education system in major cities is ensuring that minorities cannot get themselves out of welfare and systemic poverty. Additionally, I think welfare programs have to be removed or become very focused on goal-oriented, temporary assistance. If and when minorities can improve their lot, there will be a lot less strife - after all, the successful minorities (Asians, for example) simply do not have these problems.

very good post. the break down of education in big cities is horrible. Kids are left with no choice on where to go or how to get ahead, and teachers cant teach due to fear of students. Its a mess that needs to be solved along with better laws on drugs. A good voucher system for kids to have a choice on here to go to school may help, but I think the education system needs amjor overhauls. I know in southern ca there are super intendants and administration employees that make well over 100k and have perks asuch as "company" cars or car allowances and very good health care, but the kids seem to lack in supplies, infrastructure, and teachers.

mrstickball said:
Unfortunately, the vast majority of crimes are caused by minorities in the US. If you removed blacks and hispanics from crime statistics, the United States has a crime rate that is well inside the median of European standards (something like 1.1 murders per 100,000 instead of ~3.9).

So the solution is to look at why minorities cause so much more crime. Unemployment, education, and a lack of opportunities are powerful driving forces. Educated minorities with college educations (even just 1 year of education) see murder rates drop by 80-90%, and are very similar to whites in regards to crime. So I think there's a lot that has to be done for those growing up in the ghettos that graduate only a fraction of minorities. Unfortunately, its a cyclical mess, because such issues keep continuing.

Like Soleron said, drug legalization is an important step. I think that education has to really be taken care of in urban areas - the public education system in major cities is ensuring that minorities cannot get themselves out of welfare and systemic poverty. Additionally, I think welfare programs have to be removed or become very focused on goal-oriented, temporary assistance. If and when minorities can improve their lot, there will be a lot less strife - after all, the successful minorities (Asians, for example) simply do not have these problems.

I agree with your second option on welfare. If you're not too disabled to work, welfare should be working to enable your betterment: training or education for whichever jobs are in demand in your area. Likewise, food stamps should only go for healthy food.

Also, Asians have a lot of gangs; especially immigrants from poorer parts of Asia who tend to bring their gangs with them.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

mrstickball said:

I wish I could buy you a beer for this post.

Around the Network

Drug legislation is very important. A lot of minorities live in the inner cities where there are too few economic opportunities. Selling drugs could make you more money in a day than what working fast food could make you in a month. By decriminalizing and legalizing drugs, the street value would plummet. That alone would stop a lot of the gang violence and keep people out of jail. The problem won't be solved overnight either. It seems that throughout human history, whoever has live in the poor areas of a nation, especially the inner city has always had it rough. Today, it is large portions of the black population. 150 years ago, it was the Irish.

That being said, it must be acknowledged that racism exists within all races and every race has been discriminated against at one point or another. Until people accept one another as individuals with individual rights, racism will continue to be a problem.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Soleron said:
The obvious solution is to not make drugs worth fighting over by legalising them.

You do realize that some of the drugs people have been killed over are prescription drugs, right?  Legalizing drugs isn't going to stop people from dying over them, especially when they need their fix and don't have the money to purchase or acquire them legally i.e. a doctor's prescription.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
Soleron said:
The obvious solution is to not make drugs worth fighting over by legalising them.

You do realize that some of the drugs people have been killed over are prescription drugs, right?  Legalizing drugs isn't going to stop people from dying over them, especially when they need their fix and don't have the money to purchase or acquire them legally i.e. a doctor's prescription.

The solution then would just be to de-regulate the distribution of all drugs, but big pharma would *hate* it.

Actually something i could get behind, namely that you can't patent a distinct chemical compound.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Soleron said:

This. 

Legalizing drugs will dramatically reduce crime and bring in so much profit. I don't know who is paying the federal gov't to keep drugs illegal but they must have deep pockets. 

mrstickball said:

I think that education has to really be taken care of in urban areas - the public education system in major cities is ensuring that minorities cannot get themselves out of welfare and systemic poverty. Additionally, I think welfare programs have to be removed or become very focused on goal-oriented, temporary assistance. If and when minorities can improve their lot, there will be a lot less strife - after all, the successful minorities (Asians, for example) simply do not have these problems.

Schools should be evenly funded (instead of varying by local taxes), and as a temporary measure the inner city schools should recieve more funding to create better facilities and attract the best teachers that can perhaps get more to go to college. Every student that is able to go to college from these areas needs to feel he or she can afford it - fully paid scholarships should not be limited to a certain number or require competitive application. The investment will be paid back as soon as these people don't end up in prison (very expensive) and get a job that contributes to the economy.