By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

How the Vita will do in the second year?

Worse (<3 million) 138 21.97%

Same (3-4 million) 161 25.64%

Better (4-7 million) 254 40.45%

Doubling (>7 million) 75 11.94%

Total:628

A little better than last year ...

It will be available throughout the year in all regions and will (likely) see a modest price reduction, but I don't think it will see the kind of changes that would dramatically increase sales. If Sony could sell it for $199 with a memory card and/or built in memory, and games were priced at $30 to $40 rather than the $40 to $50 they currently are, I think the PS-Vita would stand a chance.

Around the Network

I'm not sure. If it gets a price cut, I think it'll sell about the same. If no price cut, then it'll sell worse.

Vita will sell 11.5 million units next year you heard it here first.

Mnementh said:
ethomaz said:
When 7 million became sensational??? lol lol lol

Ah, should have written doubling. I edit that.

lol for me if the Vita sells anything below 10 million this year it will be doomed... EPIC FAIL for sure... 7 million is below dead.

Mnementh said:
kitler53 said:

and i voted, optomistically, that it will sell about the same.  >.<

Ouch...

I was thinking I, that Sony will keep supporting the Vita and the PS4-launch at the end of the year might bring some sales. I didn't consider price-cute, because I have no idea how that will influence sales on the long run and if it even will happen this year. That's why pessimistic.

But yes, you say console-gaming as a whole will face some major problems, I remember. I hope you are wrong, but sadly you have arguments that support your opinion.

i hope i'm wrong too.

also, love the typo.  :P

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
pokoko said:
I said several months ago that the Vita wouldn't see much growth until the second half of 2013 or 2014. In Japan, which should be its best territory, too many PSP games are still in the pipeline. Games like Sword Art Online are going to do nice numbers for the PSP. Obviously, this doesn't help the Vita's cause very much. Compile Hearts having a Vita game in development is a good sign, though, I think.

I expect good things from games like Demon Gaze and Soul Sacrifice. There are definitely releases coming out that will help the Vita in Japan. They just need to mount up. Europe needs Gran Turismo or another racing game. North America, I just don't see moving up much for any reason. It would take something trendy like Pokemon catching on and I can't imagine that happening. Adults playing handhelds in North America is a niche market and the Vita has very little to grab the attention of kids.

If I were Sony, I think I would announce a price cut roughly the same time that Soul Sacrifice is supposed to release. That would lead to a solid jump, I'm pretty sure.

US:

DS:  52.2m

3DS:  8m

PSP:  19.6m

Europe:

DS:  52.0m

3DS:  7.3m

PSP:  21.6m

Look very very similar to me.  I dotn think the US market is any different to the European market.

Gran Turismo PSP

North America: 0.43m 14.8%
Europe: 1.39m 47.8%

Vita will improve in Japan this year, since that market was very neglected last year. This year they'll get quite a few good games that fancy that crowd. I hope Sony manages to market Soul Sacrifice right, so far everything is playing the way it should for this game. There is a special red Vita bundled, MH4 is delayed a few months, this game might just work and move some Vitas there.

In the West we'll get Killzone, which should at least repeat the results of AC and CoD and hopefully also ignite sales for at least a month. The release of Killzone should be combined with a price-cut.

I don't get it why you think PS4 will save Vita. If anything, I see PS4 and Xbox8 as another nails in Vitas coffin! They will be getting all the hype and cash from our pockets, leaving even less for Vita. And with improved graphics, Vita games will no longer be this impressive. Vita needs to gain some grounds before these consoles hit the market, at the latest during the inevitable first game drought they experience (I mean the period Wii U is in right now).
The console needs some big games. GTA, MGS (Phantom Pain) are the ones that are easiest to think of. A God of War, GT and next Uncharted on the other hand are the 1st party games that we need to hear about asap.

I think that Sony is paying the price of being way to cock-sure about the Vita. They were so confident about this console, they allowed their best studios not to make games for it. Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are still ignoring the console. The situation could have been different, had we already had 2 awesome games from these studios and 2 other coming in 2013.

Whatever Vita sells this year, I just hope it's gonna be enough to warrant the consoles survival and convince 3rd parties to make games for it. We need games breaking the 1 million level and Sony can't allow a single developer follow Crapcom's ways with RE and MH.
I voted for better 4-7 mil, cause I'm hoping SS sells at least 0.5 million Vitas in Japan alone, Killzone + a price cut do simmilar thing in the West, and that we get MGS Vita (PP) and GTA Vita before Christmas, which will easily sell many, many Vitas.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

kowenicki said:

Not sure what that has to do with your statement that adult handheld gaming is more niche in the US.  This just means they dont particlaurly like GT.

More niche?  What are you talking about?  Where did I make that statement?  

kowenicki said:
pokoko said:
kowenicki said:

Not sure what that has to do with your statement that adult handheld gaming is more niche in the US.  This just means they dont particlaurly like GT.

More niche?  What are you talking about?  Where did I make that statement?  

pokoko said:
I said several months ago that the Vita wouldn't see much growth until the second half of 2013 or 2014. In Japan, which should be its best territory, too many PSP games are still in the pipeline. Games like Sword Art Online are going to do nice numbers for the PSP. Obviously, this doesn't help the Vita's cause very much. Compile Hearts having a Vita game in development is a good sign, though, I think.

I expect good things from games like Demon Gaze and Soul Sacrifice. There are definitely releases coming out that will help the Vita in Japan. They just need to mount up. Europe needs Gran Turismo or another racing game. North America, I just don't see moving up much for any reason. It would take something trendy like Pokemon catching on and I can't imagine that happening. Adults playing handhelds in North America is a niche market and the Vita has very little to grab the attention of kids.

If I were Sony, I think I would announce a price cut roughly the same time that Soul Sacrifice is supposed to release. That would lead to a solid jump, I'm pretty sure.

You said why/how it could be save in Japan and Europe and then singled the adult NA handheld market as niche.  Where is the evidence of this?  The raw lifetime numbers are very similar and nothing implies or tells us that the demographic split is any different.

Don't you think you're trying a little bit too hard?  Can you find where I said GT would "save" the European market?  I said that it needs a racing title, and it does.  Are you going to tell me that a GT title wouldn't help the European bottom line somewhat?

I said the adult North American handheld market is niche.  I did not say that the adult European handheld market is not niche.  Let's look at the part you bolded:  " Adults playing handhelds in North America is a niche market and the Vita has very little to grab the attention of kids."  OK.  Now, where does that say anything about the European market?  Because I can't find it.  If I say the sea is blue do you think that I'm implying that the sky is not?  I understand that you're trying to create an argument and everything, but don't you think you're being a bit silly?

I've recently heard an idea about Sony making a Digimon games for Vita. I think this could be worth a shot, it would be the closest thing to Pokemon imaginable. Just make it a good RPG with awesome graphics that 3DS can't get close to, market it like crazy and hope for the best!

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.