By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Breaking News on PS4 - Kotaku reveals new info!!

Somebody in GAF said the same than I said.

"No matter how you turn it, you can't get 2.2GB of VRAM..."

This VRAM is impossible.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
Nsanity said:
BenVTrigger said:
If these specs are legit holy crap

Sony is bringing POWER for next gen

Theose are current specs for a PS4 development kit, not the final retail console itself.

I know that but still the evidence is steadily mounting that Sony is going for BIG power next gen.

what here is this big power you speak of? 

Bulldozer CPU of unknown clock rate?  Unknown R10XX GPU? or RAM totals? 

Nothing here says "big power to me"

disolitude said:
BenVTrigger said:
Nsanity said:
BenVTrigger said:
If these specs are legi.  holy crap

Theose are current its pecs for a PS4 development kit, not the final retail console itself.

I know that but still the evidence is steadily mounting that Sony is going for BIG power next gen.

Just putting together the various rumors.  In general they all say Sony want serious power.  Not to mention Sony themselves said they wont launch a PS4 unless its a huge jump over PS3.

Obviously it wont be in comparison to PC specs but for a closed optomized console it looks like Sony will bring a big jump

Andrespetmonkey said:

I don't know what you're talking about, but I'll take your word for it. I just assumed "vram" was referring to the gddr5.

The GDDR5 modules sold in the market are 256MB, 512MB, 1024MB and 2048MB.... each module have a 32bits interface.

So you can't get 2.2GB from these modules... any amount of RAM have to be multiple of these modules.

Eg.

4GB GDDR5 = 8x 512MB (256bits interface)

or

4GB GDDR5 = 4x 1024MB (128bits interface)

The bits interface give you the final bandwidth for the memory...each GDRR5 module at 32bits have a bandwidth of 20GB/s (dependes of the clock)... so 8 modules (256bits) give you 160GB/s of bandwidth... 4 modules (128bits) give you 80GB/s bandwidth.

The supposed bandwidth for PS4 is 160GB/s... so a 256bits interface that needs 8 modulos of GDDR5.

8 x 256MB = 2GB
8 x 512MB = 4GB

So it's impossible to reach 2.2GB with GDDR5.

ethomaz said:
Somebody in GAF said the same than I said.

"No matter how you turn it, you can't get 2.2GB of VRAM..."

This VRAM is impossible.

Does that discredit the leak entirely or could it be something else?

Edit: thanks for expanding on the information above.

What I mean is could it be some other form of memory or is it just completely wrong?

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Andrespetmonkey said:

I don't know what you're talking about, but I'll take your word for it. I just assumed "vram" was referring to the gddr5.

The GDDR5 modules sold in the market are 256MB, 512MB, 1024MB and 2048MB.... each module have a 32bits interface.

So you can't get 2.2GB from these modules... any amount of RAM have to be multiple of these modules.

Eg.

4GB GDDR5 = 8x 512MB (256bits interface)

or

4GB GDDR5 = 4x 1024MB (128bits interface)

The bits interface give you the final bandwidth for the memory...each GDRR5 module at 32bits have a bandwidth of 20GB/s (dependes of the clock)... so 8 modules (256bits) give you 160GB/s of bandwidth... 4 modules (128bits) give you 80GB/s bandwidth.

The supposed bandwidth for PS4 is 160GB/s... so a 256bits interface that needs 8 modulos of GDDR5.

8 x 256MB = 2GB
8 x 512MB = 4GB

So it's impossible to reach 2.2GB with GDDR5.

YOU CAN IF YOU'RE SONY

MWUAHAHAHHA

BenVTrigger said:
disolitude said:
BenVTrigger said:
Nsanity said:
BenVTrigger said:
If these specs are legi.  holy crap

Theose are current its pecs for a PS4 development kit, not the final retail console itself.

Just putting together the various rumors.  In general they all say Sony want serious power.  Not to mention Sony themselves said they wont launch a PS4 unless its a huge jump over PS3.

Obviously it wont be in comparison to PC specs but for a closed optomized console it looks like Sony will bring a big jump

I have no doubts the console will be powerful...but I don't see anything here that tells us how big of a jump we are looking at. Unless they bring a beefy GPU such as GTX 660 or Radeon 7850...everything they listed here isn't really going to amount to much in terms of performance leaps. You will get current PC quality graphics for a year or two and then they will fall behind again...

If there is a solid GPU tied to this package, we are looking at 1080p gaming next gen with all visual bells and whistles enabled.

Dallinor said:

Does that discredit the leak entirely or could it be something else?

I think just the VRAM is wrong for now... 2GB VRAM or 4GB VRAM is the exact number.

To account 8GB on PS4 you need:

- 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
- 6GB DDR3 System/CPU RAM

or

- 4GB GDDR5 VRAM
- 4GB DDR3 System/CPU RAM

The second Hypothesi is more real... 4GB VRAM + 4GB CPU RAM.

Or can be just 4GB RAM: 2GB VRAM + 2GB CPU RAM.

At this point, all I care about is the PS4 release date. The specs rumors are on overload.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Somebody in GAF...

"256MB EDRAM believe."

So 2GB VRAM + 256MB EDRAM and you have the 2.2GB.... I laugh a lot this time.

PS. That's just a joke because the improbable number.

There is other option 9 modules of 256MB but the 288bits bus interface is weird.