By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU - Lots of new Info - Same poor result. Why Nintendo Direct just confirms my fears.

teigaga said:
Gamerace said:
teigaga said:
I agree with you in that there is a lot of repetition but I'd expect them to play it safe in the early days, Sony Is literally the only ones to have launched a new console with a whole host of AAA new IPs. I expect we'll see more orginal content next E3.

Having said that I think classing Xenoblade (codename x) in the same category as the above is completely wrong. As a Big Fan of games like FF, seeing such an amazingly rendered fantasy RPG world is something very new to a nintendo console and after today I can say they've offically sold the wii U to me.

Glad to hear that it caught your attention.   You should definately check out Xenoblade and The Last Story on Wii.  Two of the generations best JRPGs.

Yeah, I'll picking up a wii U in the summer along with Pikmin 3, Wonderfull 101 and some old wii games like Xenoblade, Skyword sword and Mario Galaxy 2. Hopefully the wii games can be found for cheap.

Skyward Sword and MG2 probably. Not sure about Xeno/TLS.  Hard to find even now in stores.

Around the Network

It's a good show in the sense that I think Nintendo reaffirmed to its core fanbase of Nintendo fans that the system is worth buying. Of course it wan't hard to guess 3D Mario, and Yoshi's Land, and Xenoblade 2 (basically) were in development but it's nice to have cold, hard confirmation.

Agreed the Wii is not happening again. That was lightning in a bottle in 2006, maybe it's for the best as a gamer though.

I'm already resigned to this being a 30-40 million selling system which is fine by me. Nintendo can still turn a profit while they regroup and perhaps design a unified console/portable hybrid next time out so their dev resources don't have to be split all the time. 

Well, I don't understand how anyone who calls himself a gamer could have been disappointed in today's Nintendo Direct, and I don't understand why you have to be a Nintendo fan to be interested in Monolith's new game and Bayonetta 2. Also, they announced a new Wii Play. That's pretty damned casual, if you ask me.

That said, I do sort of get how you feel about the Wii U and it's overly complicated control scheme(s). I'm still waiting for Wii Sports 2 and it's inevitable holiday bundle.

Oh we do have a sensible thread. OP is straight right, cuouldn't say it better. But I thought about something :

Hasn't Nintendo just burned all of its trump cards for E3? What are they going to present against the next-gen behemots since they've just shown off their entire 2013/2014 line-up? Sony and Microsoft haven't said anything yet about what they prepare, we do know about some games like Hitman 6, BF4 or Rainbow 6 Patriots but there might be many many more. Shin Megami Tensei and X look sweet but they're just not gonna stand 5 sec. against the next gen CoD or Watchdogs. Nintendo needs some games from third parties to braoden its audience, looks like they didn't have any today.

ryuzaki57 said:
Oh we do have a sensible thread. OP is straight right, cuouldn't say it better. But I thought about something :

Hasn't Nintendo just burned all of its trump cards for E3? What are they going to present against the next-gen behemots since they've just shown off their entire 2013/2014 line-up? Sony and Microsoft haven't said anything yet about what they prepare, we do know about some games like Hitman 6, BF4 or Rainbow 6 Patriots but there might be many many more. Shin Megami Tensei and X look sweet but they're just not gonna stand 5 sec. against the next gen CoD or Watchdogs. Nintendo needs some games from third parties to braoden its audience, looks like they didn't have any today.

They told us what will be shown off at E3, surely not all of it, however. 

Even SSB pictures will make journalists and fans go crazy.

Around the Network

Actually they saved most of their bigger guns for E3.

Super Smash Bros. U trailer
Super Mario 3D (EAD Tokyo) unveil
Mario Kart U unveil
Bayonetta 2 unveil
Retro Game unveil

No offence, but Wind Waker Reborn, Xenoblade 2, and Yoshi's Land are cool, but the above are simply bigger franchises in most cases and WW Reborn is just a remake of an old game. We had seen Wonderful 101 before. 

To be honest they showed "a lot" without showing a lot if that makes sense. We didn't really see anything of SMT x Fire Emblem and just got a few test images of Zelda: WW. We'll probably see more of those in future Nintendo Directs. 

The Smash trailer will be the big thing at E3 they likely will debut it with some surprise characters much like the Solid Snake moment at E3 2006.

I'm also going to guess this one -- they will announce a price cut for Wii U at E3. 

Soundwave said:
Actually they saved most of their bigger franchises for E3.

Mario Kart U unveil
Bayonetta 2 unveil
Retro Game unveil

No offence, but Wind Waker Reborn, Xenoblade 2, and Yoshi's Land are cool, but the above are simply bigger franchises in most cases and WW Reborn is just a remake of an old game.

The Smash trailer will be the big thing at E3 they likely will debut it with some surprise characters much like the Solid Snake moment at E3 2006.

I completely agree^^

ryuzaki57 said:

Re: Bolded.   I think Nintendo realizes that and is basically throwing in the towel.  It's fortifying the walls around it's existing core fanbase to make sure they don't jump ship but simply don't have content to compete with MS/Sony's next gen systems.  I don't think they even want too (expensive blood bath that be).  This is why they need the casuals if they want to sell a lot of systems.

I was planning on making a similar thread. Nintendo Direct did pretty much how that they are struggling with HD development and are even apologizing for the lack of games January and February with no system sellers in sight until probably the holidays. They're not in a good position right now. They are first to market and they are failing to make the best of it. The whole presentation did seem to be like a bit of damage control.

Soundwave said:

Actually they saved most of their bigger guns for E3.

Mario Kart U unveil
Bayonetta 2 unveil
Retro Game unveil

No offence, but Wind Waker Reborn, Xenoblade 2, and Yoshi's Land are cool, but the above are simply bigger franchises in most cases and WW Reborn is just a remake of an old game. We had seen Wonderful 101 before. 

To be honest they showed "a lot" without showing a lot if that makes sense. We didn't really see anything of SMT x Fire Emblem and just got a few test images of Zelda: WW. We'll probably see more of those in future Nintendo Directs. 

I'm also going to guess this one -- they will announce a price cut for Wii U at E3. 

My thoughts too.  Hopefully they have some 3rd party goodies to add at E3 (if not it'll be a bad, bad sign of things to come).