By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you think Homosexuality can be "cured?" Do you want to "fix" it?

Do you think Homosexuality can be cured?

WHAT?? You can't cure it. 61 31.77%

You Can't, Homosexuality is a Choice 9 4.69%

No, it's just a matter o... 39 20.31%

Yes, Through Psychological/Social Therapy 19 9.90%

Yes, Through Drugs, It's... 8 4.17%

Yes, though Genetic Modifications 9 4.69%

Yes, though Drugs & T... 6 3.13%

I'm not sure 8 4.17%

See Results 33 17.19%

Total:192

By the way, reading this thread has truly worried me. My little girl is left handed.

Anyone hits her for that and I I'll gladly go to jail for kicking the shit out of them.

Yeah, she is left handed, but she far ahead of the rest of her class and and her teachers have repeatedly told me such.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Wanting a "cure" for homosexuality sends a message that there's something wrong with being homosexual. We're in 2013 and that kind of mentality should not exist anymore.

Michael-5 said:

NintendoPie said:

I agree with you on that. But if the option is available then someone somewhere is bound to abuse it.

I agree with you, lol. You are a logical thinker.

Now this brings the question, which is worse? A community without a cure for homosexuality, which oppresses ALL of the homosexuals who wish to live heterosexual lifestlyes, or a community with a cure, which oppresses SOME homosexuals into "cure" themselves?

I know in Canada, we would never resort to the second option, but I bet in the Middle East, this would be an immediate law.

A community that doesn't care about the other person's sexuality would be perfect. But we all know that won't happen.

That's a difficult decision though... I would go with the bolded.

Michael-5 said:
wfz said:
What does "normal" mean? It's not normal in the sense that we are "supposed" to be attracted to the opposite sex in order to procreate and keep our species alive. In that case it's kind of the opposite of normal. Then again, maybe it is normal because it acts as some sort of minor population control mechanism since not everyone has the desire to procreate? :P

Anyways, it could be changed. Anything about us humans can be changed.

Is Altzeimers normal? Is Depression Normal? Is Schizophrenea Normal?

They occur randomly in a small percentage of the population, but is it normal? If it were normal, why would we search for treatments to these normal occurances?

Do you agree that the above 3 are disorders? Do you agree that they affect a persons freedom and ability to make decisions?

Is Homosexuality any different?

Altziermers makes you incapable of memory, and forces you to live a certain way. Deperession forces you to always be gloomy, and not able to enjoy yourself as much as your mind would like it to. Schizophrenea alters your sense of what's real, which makes you make decisions which are bizarre. Does homosexuality not prevent you from heterosexual relationships? For those wishing to live Heterosexual lives, does it not restrict their freedoms?

What a terrible argument.

Alzheimer's disease is a lethal condition. Seeking treatment can prolong death. Depression can lead to suicide, and treating depression can literally save lives. Schizophrenia can endanger the patient and those around him or her (not to mention the fact that it is a terrible, painful thing to watch happen, which I can attest to from experience).

And your "being gay precludes being straight" argument is just ludicrous. What about those who are bisexual? What about people with red hair, isn't there 'condition' precluding them from growing black hair?

Michael-5 said:
crissindahouse said:

everything is "normal", it is normal that different people get different stuff or that they are different. few percent have red hairs, that is not ok for some of them...the reason why we want to cure altzheimer is because no one wants that, if someone doesn#t want to be gay it would be ok to make him straight but that is obviously also the same otherwise then. i want to be bi but i am straight so please cure me^^

LOL, also a good way to look at it. I agree, except I think in your plea to become bi sexual, that's just a physical transformation (like a sex change opperation). I wouldn't necessarily call it "curing" yourself, as much as altering yourself.

Would you consider removing Altziemers from an individual "curing", "fixing", or just "altering"? I think fixing a disorder is more then just altering. You don't alter a broken car to work, you fix it. However if you want to take a working car and make it not work, then you are no longer fixing it, you are just altering it.

call it how you want, if there are gay people who want to be straight they have the same problem as straight people who want to be bi or gay. so, however you want to call this "transformation", the definition would be the same for both directions. that's how i think about that.

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
wfz said:
Michael-5 said:
wfz said:
What does "normal" mean? It's not normal in the sense that we are "supposed" to be attracted to the opposite sex in order to procreate and keep our species alive. In that case it's kind of the opposite of normal. Then again, maybe it is normal because it acts as some sort of minor population control mechanism since not everyone has the desire to procreate? :P

Anyways, it could be changed. Anything about us humans can be changed.

Is Altzeimers normal? Is Depression Normal? Is Schizophrenea Normal?

They occur randomly in a small percentage of the population, but is it normal? If it were normal, why would we search for treatments to these normal occurances?

Do you agree that the above 3 are disorders? Do you agree that they affect a persons freedom and ability to make decisions?

Is Homosexuality any different?

Altziermers makes you incapable of memory, and forces you to live a certain way. Deperession forces you to always be gloomy, and not able to enjoy yourself as much as your mind would like it to. Schizophrenea alters your sense of what's real, which makes you make decisions which are bizarre. Does homosexuality not prevent you from heterosexual relationships? For those wishing to live Heterosexual lives, does it not restrict their freedoms?

It's a bit different. Certain issues (such as the ones you mentioned) directly affect your ability as a person and your capabilities. Being born a redhead (which is rare), however, doesn't.

Homosexuality falls somewhere in the middle. It doesn't really stop you from doing what you want (assuming you don't want a hetero relationship, which would be weird since you're gay) but it does inhibit your capabilities for procreation (in that you are wired to not want to have sex with the opposite gender).

What about those Homosexuals who with to be heterosexual? Do they not have a "condition" then? Something, which you are already claiming as "weird." Is this a normal way to live a life? Do you not think a "cure" should be found for people like this? or is this a normal and acceptable way to live?

For some reason, this makes me think of the Xmen 3 movie...

In response, wouldn't a homosexual only want to be heterosexual because that's the only thing society sees as "normal" at the moment? I wouldn't say that's the fault of the homosexual. Of course if they want that choice, then they could have it, but I'd say, society still needs to mature a lot itself first.

Euphoria14 said:
By the way, reading this thread has truly worried me. My little girl is left handed.

Anyone hits her for that and I I'll gladly go to jail for kicking the shit out of them.

Yeah, she is left handed, but she far ahead of the rest of her class and and her teachers have repeatedly told me such.

Luckily, society has developed a little since then, and recognised that left-handedness is not "wrong" or "a sin", but merely a state of the mind and should not be forcibly altered.

Boutros said:
Wanting a "cure" for homosexuality sends a message that there's something wrong with being homosexual. We're in 2013 and that kind of mentality should not exist anymore.

No offense to those who live their lives based on it, but tell that to those who live their lived based on a 2000+ year old book...

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

fordy said:
Michael-5 said:

This I don't agree with you on. There are definatly positive and negative states of the mind. Schizophrenea is never a positive condition, and neither is Bi Polar, and I think everyone with this type of condition should be couciled, and should seek help. These conditions are not normal, and definatly need a permant cure, and more public awareness.

I've known a few people with Bipolar disorder who have led very creative lives. It generally comes down to the environment that they get stuck in. In a modern, ordered society, a lot of this can come out as rage, which is why it's given such a bad rep. I agree in most situations (given a modern lifestyle), bipolar is a burden. I guess it's more of a "take it at face value" thing, given the person's living environment, etc.

I used to work in a Mental Health Center for Volunteer Work. I've also seen a few Bi Polar people live with their desease, but never without medication, and I wouldn't exactly call their lives creative. Most Bi Polar patients psycically harm others around them, and often have very unhealthy relationship with people near them because even when their family understand the disorder, when you see a loved one get angry at you and yell at you for almost no reason, it will hurt family ties. If there is a small creative positive here, it's not worth all the Negatives and life shattering conditions. No one should be encouraged to live with the disorder, and at a slight loss of creativity, everyone should be cured. No Bruises and Domestic Disturbances for Art.

As for Schizophrenic people, out of all the patients who came in, I only ever met 1 patient who wasn't a return patient, and I have not met a single schizophrenic person who was able to live with their illness. This type of condition really messes you up, I've seen people yell at God, call their families clones, wear boxing helmets to protect themselves from evil demons, and even see people communicate to dogs via telekenisis. This is not a condition to joke about, and definatly one which needs to be rid from out human population. It has NO positive.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Euphoria14 said:
Boutros said:

No offense to those who live their lives based on it, but tell that to those who live their lived based on a 2000+ year old book...

I have learned with experience to avoid arguing with those people about pretty much anything lol