By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Oh no... IGN: "Sony Will Let Microsoft Make First Move - Hirai sees no point in announcing first."

Kasz216 said:
What world is he living in that hardware specs can just change on the fly like that... makes me feel like they don't plan on having a hardware design finished until after they know what Microsoft has going, which would mean a real late release.

please they've been developing the console for 3 years.  He's just being a coy Kaz.  I'm sure they've already planned when/where to announce and what's in it.  Maybe they'll make the HDD bigger if Xbox announces and is bigger than they were planning but that's the only thing I see changing.  Also perhaps a service could be getting offered that they don't want MS to copy (like an app).

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
hmm, seems to me that Sony is more interested in seeing the Xbox 720 because they are not sure what to do with the PS4. A lot of people here blame Sony for releasing a year after Microsoft and claim the head start was a big factor in the PS3's poor performance, and I think that will be a big factor next generation too.

What poor performance?

PS3 has been outselling XBOX 360 for several years in a row.

And according to some reports, XBOX 360 is the 7th generation console in last place.

Just sayin.

Scisca said:
Guys, bear in mind that PS3 is still selling well and easily outselling X360. That's why every week without an announcement of next gen consoles, which could possibly cut down current sales (if only by a bit) is working in Sony's favour. I'm pretty sure they already have the date of release set for quite some time.

Though the assumption that they may be waiting to see what MS does with the HDD can actually be true. I hope they release a cheap SKU with 32 GB of flash memory and a 500 GB PS4. Just let us put an internal HDD, not a USB one...

They should add an internal SSD slot for that option if that's feasible.  I've seen them running and it makes stuff crazy fast.

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Persistantthug said:
MoHasanie said:
hmm, seems to me that Sony is more interested in seeing the Xbox 720 because they are not sure what to do with the PS4. A lot of people here blame Sony for releasing a year after Microsoft and claim the head start was a big factor in the PS3's poor performance, and I think that will be a big factor next generation too.

What poor performance?

PS3 has been outselling XBOX 360 for several years in a row.

And according to some reports, XBOX 360 is the 7th generation console in last place.

Just sayin.

Sorry, I needed to specify that I meant its poor peformance when it lauched. Of course now its doing fine. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

When you are in a bad financial situation like Sony, its a bad idea to put the ball in the competitor court. So Sony won't make a move until M$ does, what if M$ decide not to start the race and let this play out for another year. Who have the bigger bank roll to play chicken? Who have more to lose? I don't give a shit really and hope Nintendo come out on top again.

Around the Network
bonkers555 said:

When you are in a bad financial situation like Sony, its a bad idea to put the ball in the competitor court. So Sony won't make a move until M$ does, what if M$ decide not to start the race and let this play out for another year. Who have the bigger bank roll to play chicken? Who have more to lose? I don't give a shit really and hope Nintendo come out on top again.

I think MS NEEDS a new console first as they have been getting outsold pretty bad despite being less expensive.  Like others and myself have stated you don't throw a console together in 6 months.  They've already got their plans made Kaz just wants to be coy about spoiling the surprise.  They MIGHT change the HDD in their new console if MS offers more than they were going to as that won't effect the architecture or price very much.

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

kitler53 said:
HesAPooka said:
Of course you'd want to announce second. You get to see what the competition shows off, and than determine what you have to do in order to outshine them. Worst thing that could happen is if Sony shows a little bit of the ps4, and than a week later Microsoft goes all out and really out does them and kills all the Sony buzz.

conversely, these systems are likely to be similar in specs, games, OS features.   announcing second could blunt the announcement and make it look "me too".

I'm sure the two are pretty similar, but the one who show cases what their system can do better will build more anticipation and appeal. So, after seeing what Microsoft show cases Sony can than go ahead and decide what needs to be done to out do them.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

PS4 in 2015. I still stand by it.

Idk about ya'll but with the PS3 selling so well, and Xbox sales falling, MS might want to release 1st and Sony holding off either to improve hardware or to squeeze as much $$ off of PS3 as possible. Of course this may be risking a repeat of the 7th gen, but Sony's not really in a position to choose, they'll do whatever it takes to get the $$ flowing in.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

platformmaster918 said:
bonkers555 said:

I think MS NEEDS a new console first as they have been getting outsold pretty bad despite being less expensive.  Like others and myself have stated you don't throw a console together in 6 months.  They've already got their plans made Kaz just wants to be coy about spoiling the surprise.  They MIGHT change the HDD in their new console if MS offers more than they were going to as that won't effect the architecture or price very much.

I don't think M$ really need to hurry on the next console. Company like Sony and M$ goal is profit and right now it seem that M$ have figure out that the Xbox brand can be very profitable. They are riding the success in America where the last NPD shows that they out sold the PS3 MORE then double. 24 staight months of being the #1 console in the biggest video games market is nothing to worry about.  Profits over ride marketshare and sales.