By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Oh no... IGN: "Sony Will Let Microsoft Make First Move - Hirai sees no point in announcing first."

Persistantthug said:
Dodece said:
@persistanthug

1. If memory serves me correctly the PS3 had five price drops in its first year on the market. Two in North America, two in Europe, and one in Japan. Which started out cheaper then the rest anyway. Without those the console would have bottomed out, and died quickly. Major developers threatened Sony in public that they would with withdrawal their support of the platform without those price cuts.

2. Even with the price cuts the machine as a pure game console wasn't very attractive. It really didn't have a lot of games. All of the major exclusives were ages away at that time. Thankfully for Sony their price cutting made their console the cheapest BluRay player on the market. The early software attach ration was somewhat proof that a good number of units were purchased primarily as movie watching devices.

3. While Microsoft spent a billion dollars to repair the hardware failure fiasco. The system itself has generated a very impressive profit for the company. Wiping out that loss many times over. The major difference between Microsoft and Sony is this. Sony is passing on savings to regenerate its customer base on its current platform. While Microsoft has funneled the wealth into building the brand. Which they have been busy about the past few years. Microsoft has been building, and buying studios at a impressive rate. Microsoft has basically eliminated the software gap moving into the current generation. They now have as many studios as Sony.

4. Seeing as the Xbox/Xbox 360 are actually sheltered within a larger division. Your last statement isn't fact but pure speculation on your part. The division houses a lot of different product lines, and the amount of money just going into pure research and development is also unknown. Besides I have never heard a cacophony of cries for Microsoft to discontinue the brand. Unlike some companies Microsoft has a way of always coming up jackpot for the investors.

The American price drops were 2007 = $500...... 2008 = $400......2009 = $300........2010 = ZERO price drop........2011 = $250.

Feel free to add all of the other regions if you want, but personally, I don't know or understand exchange rates.  That's why I only refer to American....no offense to anyone intended.

Secondly,

But to show you that what I said about MS has ground:  Why did Microsoft close ENSEMBLE, close DIGITAL ANVIL, close ACES, and close FASA studios?

Had you or anyone else ever wondered why, Instead of Microsoft buying their good buddies BIOWARE, Microsoft instead had to stand by and watch EA snap them up.

Because while it is true Microsoft has virtually limitless $......MICROSOFT GAMES does not.

Microsoft couldn't spend the money at that time.  Sure, you can say XBOX brand is doing fine now, but back then, XBOX was seen as an anchor to Microsoft, and it was made many times worse when RROD hit.

I really don't want to turn this into a Microsoft thing.  So I'll try and stop there.

that and just having studios isn't enough.  They need to make good games like Sony's do.  So far Xbox has only really had 3 good franchises.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

@persistantthug

Microsoft didn't close those studios down for lack of money. They closed those studios, or relocated the staff for the simple reasons that they were either not producing quality software, or software that wasn't relevant to the overall strategy. Microsoft wanted to focus its efforts on console gaming, and flight simulators or strategy games just weren't what they needed to be pumping money into making.

Further more the truth of the matter is Electronic Arts overpaid for Bioware by a large margin, and chances are that they are regretting that now, because as it stands it is going to take many years for the investment to bare fruit if it ever will. They didn't buy the company for Mass Effect, Dragon Age, or any of the other properties that Bioware created for the console market. They bought Bioware to compete with Blizzard in the MMORPG marketplace. Electronic Arts absolutely fears the money that World of Warcraft is generating for its biggest rival. They needed a response and Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic Online seemed like a gold mine.

It was a foolish move on the part of Electronic Arts. Just about everyone said so at the time. Especially fans of the genre in question, because Bioware didn't have a fucking clue about what made a good game for the genre. Microsoft probably saw the same thing everyone other then Electronic Arts saw, because Microsoft itself had dabbled with the idea of entering the space, and had been burned repeatedly.

Bioware was trying to create a single player game with a online subscription based model, but here is the catch people don't pay subscriptions for single player scripted games. The games design got people in the door, but it wasn't able to keep them there with good reason. They ran out of things to do pretty damn fast, and then they left. In the end their new owner paid a shitload of money to make shitloads of money, but has only ended up losing hundreds of millions of dollars on the deal.

So your argument basically boils down to Microsoft closing poor performers, and not buying a overpriced company. I can say with some certainty that is a pretty lame argument. I mean if I were Microsoft I would have closed down those studios, and if I were going to blow over half a billion dollars on a acquisition. There were and are a lot more attractive possibilities.

chapset said:
Sony waiting to steal someone else's idea confirmed??

that's a good one. lol

Is it me or Hirai is full of shit.

If the February 20th rumor is true of course.

Around the Network
bonkers555 said:

It was always a lie, because console specifications are set years in advance and a few months between announcements doesn't make any strategic difference beyond PR.

bonkers555 said:

look lively cos you just got Hirai'd 

So much for that plan....

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

bonkers555 said:

When you are in a bad financial situation like Sony, its a bad idea to put the ball in the competitor court. So Sony won't make a move until M$ does, what if M$ decide not to start the race and let this play out for another year. Who have the bigger bank roll to play chicken? Who have more to lose? I don't give a shit really and hope Nintendo come out on top again.

So I was right all along. There was no way in hell that Sony will let M$ dictate the next gen.

Sony does this so they can "LIE". Why? Let MS announce the console and then change the PS presentation so the new PS console is faster than the new xbox. (even tho in fact it might be actually weaker at the time of the MS presentation but since no consumer knows there is no problem)

I mean its smart you just wait for your competition to announce the power of the new console and you can simply say yours is stronger because you have a year or so time to make it stronger.

The only problem would be if MS at e3 or whatever then says WE MADE OUR CONSOLE STRONGER THAN INITIALLY PLANNED.

That would be lol.

There is a ton of people out there that just want the most powerful console no matter what company it is from (which is strange because they now say "PC gfx dont matter" "shut up PC masterrace" etc. and then they buy the most powerful console LOL. There is way to many toddlers playing video games IMHO.)