By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - [Unofficial Rumour] World Exclusive: Durango unveiled

BlueFalcon said:
Stinky said:
So approx $160 for 8GB of GDDR5, I can see why MS hasn't specced it.

It is expensive but not that much. The GDDR5 pricing is from HD6970/580 generation (2011 model year). Prices on GDDR5 have fallen since then as HD6970 2GB was $369 but HD7950 3GB of GDDR5 sells for $280-300 in retail now. 3GB of GDDR5 was only present on a $550 GTX580 last generation. 

Well let's be extravagant and halve the GDDR5 listed: $80 is still an unacceptable price for a console component.

Around the Network

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/115623.html

Misterxmedia: Can you say 1.2T is sp or dp? 3.2T and 4.2T are sp or dp? :)
Insider: Dp= y. But 3.2/4.2tf is only the theoretical performance not the actual figures

Would be interseting if true, but I have my (pretty big) doubts.

Mistershine said:

Insider: Dp= y. But 3.2/4.2tf is only the theoretical performance not the actual figures

What da hell is this

D-Joe said:
Mistershine said:

What da hell is this

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/

This guy was on semiaccurate for a while. He basically says that the leak is about 40% of the design. He thinks it will have 2 of them and a third smaller SoC for the multimedia functions.

Mistershine said:
D-Joe said:
Mistershine said:

What da hell is this

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/

This guy was on semiaccurate for a while. He basically says that the leak is about 40% of the design. He thinks it will have 2 of them and a third smaller SoC for the multimedia functions.

Just read this

Don't think so,too powerful

Around the Network
Stinky said:
Well let's be extravagant and halve the GDDR5 listed: $80 is still an unacceptable price for a console component.

Sure but no one is saying 8GB GDDR5 is reasonable for a console, but 4GB of GDDR5 is another story. Your cost estimate is also way too high. I've seen the entire HD7850 2GB GDDR5 GPU sell for $140-150 on Newegg. That means to buy that graphics kit directly from AMD would at most cost MS/Sony $70-80. Then all you have to do is buy 2GB of GDDR5 on top. All in HD7850 GPU + 4GB of GDDR5 will cost $140-150. Since MS's 360 cost them $525 to make, assuming they are willing to take a similar loss on Xbox 702, that still leaves them with nearly $380 to work with. Like I said, their current GPU choice and gimping it with DDR3 is mind-boggling for a high-end console.

Because the memory is shared with the rest of the system, it's covering both the CPU and GPU component performance which justifies the investment as it's not just the GPU that would benefit from fast memory. I just linked you earlier that MS spent $141 for an ATI GPU for its Xbox 360. That's at cost. Now you are saying that spending $140+ is too much? MS and Sony aren't there to make profits on the consoles. If the consoles cost $349-399, what other components costs are there? An 8-core Jaguar CPU costs less than the GPU subsystem. It only stands to reason that Sony doesn't need to contend with wasting $ on Kinect 2.0 components. That means they can upgrade the GPU sub-system from ~HD7770 to HD7870 and the end result is a huge performance boost.

It seems people just don't want to admit that it's possible Xbox 720 will get trumped graphically by PS4. So far, it's looking like ~HD7770Ghz (Xbox720) vs. a slightly cut-down HD7870 (so roughly HD7850 level of performance for PS4). People who think the performance difference between a 1.23Tflop AMD GPU (HD7770) and an a 1.8 Tflop one (HD7850) is not a big deal are kidding themselves. Sorry, you cannot make up 50-100% GPU speed disadvantage with eDRAM or "special sauce". Since MS will be gaining BluRay drive, PS4 will have less and less advantages in terms of features against Xbox 720. So what do you do? You could spend more $ to make sure PS4 trumps Xbox 720 graphically because the hardcore gamers these consoles target love advanced graphics. It's a big deal. 

Rumor:

Xbox 720 = 768 Stream Processors ~ HD7770Ghz

PS4 = 1152 Stream Processors (+50% higher GPU processing power) ~ HD7850

I am not sure why people are finding this surprising. Sony wanted the most powerful console with PS3, and they continued on the same path with PS Vita. I don't see why this would be changing for PS4. With prices of BluRay drives down to a fraction of 2006 levels and even lower than 2009 levels, and Sony ditching the initially very expensive Cell processor for a semi-custom off-the shelf 8-core Jaguar, it stands to reason they can afford to spend the rest of the PS4's budget on a superior graphics sub-system. All they have to do now is execute. MS could easily beat them if they wanted to but it would mean ditching Kinect 2.0 or takng a larger loss on the hardware or selling Xbox 720 for a higher price. All things being equal, unless Sony includes some expensive features/screens in the controllers, they can build a more powerful console simply because they aren't trying to push Kinect 2.0.

Here is the breakdown of component costs of PS3 as of December 11, 2009:

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/Sony-Gets-One-Step-Closer-to-Breakeven-Point-with-Latest-PlayStation-3-Design.aspx

I wonder how true this will be next to the official announcement?

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Just to throw a spanner in the works of all these rumours being leaked:

http://x-surface.tumblr.com/

Some choice quotes:

"At 1:41am GMT today I sent out an email to a bunch of gaming sites claiming to be a Microsoft employee working on the new Xbox.

I made up every single word of it along with a couple of specs copied from other rumours that have been appearing on the Internet."

"Pocket-Lint.com were the first to run with the news, almost exactly one hour after saying “we have to make an effort to validate”; two hours before I got the chance to reply. It was posted with zero validation, no fact-checking, no source information. Just a simple email basically saying “I work for Microsoft - believe me?”."

"At the time of writing, my fake news is appearing on major sites such as:

Yahoo

CNET

Gizmodo

Venturebeat

Tech Digest

VG247

NowGamer

And many more. This Google search shows the global reach this non-news has been getting over the past 6 hours (at the time of writing)."

BlueFalcon said:

It seems people just don't want to admit that it's possible Xbox 720 will get trumped graphically by PS4. So far, it's looking like ~HD7770Ghz (Xbox720) vs. a slightly cut-down HD7870 (so roughly HD7850 level of performance for PS4)

Well the spec is still fairly nebulous, particularly for the PS4. But the reality is less who's going to be fastest and more who's going to make a viable product. MS could easily stuff a top spec PC into a box and call it done, but what's it going to cost? Are we going to see $399 vs $599 again?

Scoobes said:
Just to throw a spanner in the works of all these rumours being leaked:

http://x-surface.tumblr.com/

Some choice quotes:

"At 1:41am GMT today I sent out an email to a bunch of gaming sites claiming to be a Microsoft employee working on the new Xbox.

I made up every single word of it along with a couple of specs copied from other rumours that have been appearing on the Internet."

"Pocket-Lint.com were the first to run with the news, almost exactly one hour after saying “we have to make an effort to validate”; two hours before I got the chance to reply. It was posted with zero validation, no fact-checking, no source information. Just a simple email basically saying “I work for Microsoft - believe me?”."

"At the time of writing, my fake news is appearing on major sites such as:

Yahoo

CNET

Gizmodo

Venturebeat

Tech Digest

VG247

NowGamer

And many more. This Google search shows the global reach this non-news has been getting over the past 6 hours (at the time of writing)."

That is great. I agree with those who pointed out how easy it is for these rumors to copy each other. I can't believe that people accept the fact that they are similar as some sort of confirmation. All of this bickering for what is likely a bunch of made up shit, the internet is awesome.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.