By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - [Unofficial Rumour] World Exclusive: Durango unveiled

ethomaz said:

Busted said:

--- For you people, can orbis do at least 1080p 120fps?

Yes.

If that's what you think, prepare to be disappointed.

Around the Network

1337 Gamer said:

That chart is wrong.. Atleast in terms of the price point of those GPUs. THe GTX 285 cost much more than $350 back when it was released and even looking at those charts to release the card to the consumer it cost them $163.46 to manufacture everything. Yes i know that was a larger Die in terms of mm^2 but even so to actually build the card with the memory and other necessary parts and custom heatsinks and what not your looking at well over $100. Far more than the $50 your specified. A GPU needs much more than just the silicon die.

That's the point for a console it didn't because the same components used to GPU is used to CPU and the full system too... you don't have separated parts like PC... so the memory cost is for the full system and not just GPU.

TheBardsSong said:

Why? A HD 7970M can run any game already launched in PC in this resolution... so why a dedicated and optimized game machine with "secret sauce" can't do that with a similar hardware?

The Orbis can run 1080p in 3D at 60fps.

TheBardsSong said:
ethomaz said:

Busted said:

--- For you people, can orbis do at least 1080p 120fps?

Yes.

So, who's telling the truth? -.-

ethomaz said:

TheBardsSong said:

Why? A HD 7970. can run any game already launched in PC in this resolution... so why a dedicated and optimized game machine with "secret sauce" can't do that with a similar hardware?

It doesnt run top end PC games at 1080p 120 FPS.  

It will however play top end games like Battlefiield 3 1080p 60 FPS though.  Bump the resolution down to 720p 30 FPS and developers could push some serious crazy graphics out though.  I expect 1080p 30 FPS will be the standard next gen though

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

TheBardsSong said:

Why? A HD 7970M can run any game already launched in PC in this resolution... so why a dedicated and optimized game machine with "secret sauce" can't do that with a similar hardware?

Doesn't look like 120FPS to me, and this is a current gen game. You can't expect the same performance out of games designed for next gen platforms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryNbXJ1l44

BenVTrigger said:

It will however play top end games like Battlefiield 3 1080p 60 FPS though.  Bump the resolution down to 720p 30 FPS and developers could push some serious crazy graphics out though.  I expect 1080p 30 FPS will be the standard next gen though

I'm just using the rumors... the HD 7970M run the Battlefiield 3 1080p at 60 FPS in High/Ultra setthings... so that GPU in a dedicaded and optmized machine can do way better than that.

The HD 7970M run Skyrim Ultra 1080p too.

TheBardsSong said:

Doesn't look like 120FPS to me, and this is a current gen game. You can't expect the same performance out of games designed for next gen platforms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryNbXJ1l44

Of course... it have v-sync enabled so it try to run at the refresh rate of the monitor... the first comments in this video ask to DF to run the game in 120 fps with v-sync off.

ethomaz said:

BenVTrigger said:

I'm just using the rumors... the HD 7970M run the Battlefiield 3 1080p at 60 FPS in High/Ultra setthings... so that GPU in a dedicaded and optmized machine can do way better than that.

The HD 7970M run Skyrim Ultra 1080p too.

That is true.  I wasnt thinking about its performance in a dedicated console.  

Considering it can run Battlefield 3 in ultra in a PC at 1080p though shoukd show its power.  If the specs for Orbis are true its a massive jump over current gen.

Thats why Im so curious whats goin on inside Durango. On paper it appears to be weaker but nearly everyone with inside information are saying its just as powerful as Orbis due to its "secret sauce"

BenVTrigger said:

That is true.  I wasnt thinking about its performance in a dedicated console. 

Considering it can run Battlefield 3 in ultra in a PC at 1080p though shoukd show its power.  If the specs for Orbis are true its a massive jump over current gen.

Thats why Im so curious whats goin on inside Durango. On paper it appears to be weaker but nearly everyone with inside information are saying its just as powerful as Orbis due to its "secret sauce"

I guess Durango and Orbis will be close... the "secret sauce" aways surprise us but there is a problem with that... the PS2 have it and the PS3 too but it's harder to developer with this "secret sauce".

Which helps Microsoft is that it is much better in devkits and APIs than Sony/Nintendo... so they can make the use of that "secret sauce" easy to developers.