By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can anyone please tell me what the global smartphone shipments were in Q4 2012?

So far...

Nokia: 15.9m
Apple: 47.8m

63.7m

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
So far...

Nokia: 15.9m
Apple: 47.8m

63.7m

I think the only other company that's still talking about shipments is Sony. Don't expect anything from Samsung, HTC, Moto, RIM...

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:

I think the only other company that's still talking about shipments is Sony. Don't expect anything from Samsung, HTC, Moto, RIM...

The IDC will got the revenue $ and did some estimated numbers...

All the numbers from IDC...

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23916413#.UQah7kdanB0

I feel the real story here is Huawei and ZTE hoovering up the bottom end of the market. I wouldn't be surprised if we see them buy up some of the weaker-performing phone manufacturers who have more powerful brands in the west.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing

Around the Network
famousringo said:
I feel the real story here is Huawei and ZTE hoovering up the bottom end of the market. I wouldn't be surprised if we see them buy up some of the weaker-performing phone manufacturers who have more powerful brands in the west.

Yes... the surprise this year were ZTE and Huawei... nobody expected that.

ethomaz said:
famousringo said:

Yes... the surprise this year were ZTE and Huawei... nobody expected that.

Actually, it's a trend that's been coming along for a while, even back in the day when HTC was looking like a winner, but it was always a little hazy because it's hard to get information on those two.

kowenicki said:
Actually there is something wrong here. Didnt Nokia report 15.9m for the last quarter?

I think the IDC just consider smartphones the Lumia + Symbian in the Nokia line... so ~6.6 million units.

Edit - I fount the awsner from IDC.

"IDC has never classified Asha series as smartphones," Melissa Chau, research manager for smartphones and tablets at IDC, says. "Somebody from IDC did say that Asha series provided smartphone-like experience, but never classified it as smartphone," she tells ET over phone from Singapore. 

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-12-12/news/35773925_1_asha-series-nokia-s-asha-asha-touch

So Asha is not smartphone.

ethomaz said:

All the numbers from IDC...

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23916413#.UQah7kdanB0

So the 11m+ WP's that were sold in the quarter (according to M$) means that WP's had a worldwide marketshare of just over 5% in Q4 2012. It would be cool if the IDC released platform figures e.g. Android, iOS, WP, Blackberry, etc.