By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii owners, is it our fault that the Wii U isn't getting better third party support?

Wait for E3

And Richard George
February 4, 2013
from IGN : Unannounced Wii U Games Could Release This Year

Around the Network

This is just my favourite 3rd party titles but looking at them – No not at all.

Resident Evil –
2 on rails shooters and a port for Wii - (Resident Evil 5/6 released on HD consoles)

Tales of –
A poor sequel and Tales of Graces (which never made it over here but then got ported to PS3 and released abroad). At the same time Tales of Vesperia / Tales of Xillia / Xillia 2 released on HD consoles.

Soul Calibur –
Just that god awful spin off game while HD consoles had Soul Calibur 4 & 5.

Final Fantasy –
No main entry and another poor attempt with Crystal Chronicles (FF XIII and XIII-2 released on HD consoles)

Devil May Cry –
Nothing (DMC 4 and 5 released on HD consoles)

Sonic the Hedgehog.
Possibly the only one of my favourite franchises that got a half decent game (Colours) but still Generations was far better and only released on HD consoles.

Sorry but looking at these Wii was treated as a second class system last gen and I don’t see why the fans should buy second class software.

Soundwave said:

Just Dance and Guitar Hero Carnival Games sold great on Wii, so it's not true third party stuff doesn't sell on Wii, it was just different types of third party content.

The whole concept of the Wii is "get off the couch" social gaming with family/friends.

Things like Monster Hunter Tri and even GoldenEye are going to have a limited appeal on a platform like Wii.

The audience for the Wii outside of the hardcore Nintendo fans, if they wanted some "serious couch gaming" would dabble in a little NSMB or Mario Kart or LEGO Star Wars/Harry Potter/etc.

this is all ive been trying to say

Aielyn said:
oniyide said:
1. Well where are the games that sold better on Wii on either one of the consoles. And i mean better, not some small distance behind. GH, deBlob, Sonic, JD, Zumba come to mind and as ive stated those games are family geared. What about the ones that are not? SHow me

2. Never said Tiger was, stop putting words in my mouth. Sonic yes, Table Tennis, yes its a damn arcade sports game. Madden isnt hardcore or Fifa but those are sports simulators, the hell does that have to do with Sonic or Table Tennis, whats your point?

3. I said games geared to family, family friendly games, your putting words in my mouth again. The only game you mentioned that did not fit that was Tomb Raider, oh wow ONE game. Lets ignore that Underworld sold much worst than the HD versions.

4. Better in what way, sales. THats funny, PS2 version had worst versions of multiplat and there versions still blew the other ones away sales wise. But those versions are closer, so you might have something there. But that doesnt explain COD, which some people would swear is better the Wii version is better, but hell they are so tiny it dont matter. But then I would ask whose fault is that the those versions or worst? Not 3rd parties fault that they decided to go with such cheap hardware, they did the best they could with what they had. The only way for that not to have happened was to purposely gimp the HD versions, I bet some would have and had wished that happened.

5. Which Golf are you talking about? Far as im concenred there are two sports type arcade and simulation. I wonder which one does best on which system?

6. I put Bully there because the SHCOLARSHIP edition was also released the same time on 360, sure it is a port, but i used it to show that 360 gamers were clearly more interested in it, despite selling less than PS2 version.

What are these games that MWReflex had to compete with? Far as I know there were still NO competition in the FPS market for Wii. Doesnt matter if Mario was out, if you wanted to play a FPS what choices did you have? Most people just got another system.  ANd to sound blunt, if Wii owners were that starved for games they were buying games that sucked, then they were fools. I rather have 3 good games than 10 bad ones.

1. First of all, most developers never put non-family titles on the Wii. Second of all, neither Sonic nor de Blob is "family-geared" - that's just revisionism. They aren't gory pseudo-realistic FPSes, but they're games designed for gamers. And if you want examples of games selling better on Wii than one of the other two, that's a lot easier to do. CoD3, for instance, did significantly better on Wii than PS3, despite the PS3 version having multiplayer.

2. Your definitions don't make sense. That's all I can really say at this point. Table Tennis was as much a simulation game as golf or soccer.

3. What makes Tomb Raider non-family, but Sonic family? And no, you explicitly said "My point is that multiplat games do better on HDs(especially 360) than they do on Wii unless its some dancing for fitness game." - "dancing for fitness game" doesn't translate to "Family-friendly".

4. I'll be honest, your wording here is strange enough that I'm having trouble parsing it. Perhaps if you re-word it, I'll understand what you're trying to say.

5. How do you define "arcade" vs "simulation" in this context? And how, by that definition, does Table Tennis become "arcade" while Fifa becomes "simulation"?

6. Oh, Scholarship edition counts because it was released at same time on 360 as on Wii? How does that work? My understanding was "not counting late ports". An easy argument to put forward would be that most of the people who owned a PS2 bought a Wii, and thus didn't need to get the game again, whereas 360 owners at the time were mostly Xbox owners before that. Just one example of why using ports from the previous generation is a bad idea for these comparisons.

And I didn't say that MW Reflex had to compete with other FPSes. I said that it had to compete with better games. Why would you buy MW Reflex when you could buy Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, House of the Dead 2&3 Return, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 3, etc, etc? Meanwhile MW Reflex, which was 2 years later than the other versions and lacking in features, still managed a healthy 1.46 million copies sold, with NO advertising. And that's the other factor to consider regarding CoD titles on the Wii - Activision didn't advertise the existence of the Wii versions. They did make mention of WaW during E3, but their advertising around release didn't list Wii. They didn't even include the existence of Black Ops for Wii in their press release in 2010. And yes, by 2009, there was most certainly competition for the FPS market. It had to compete with World at War (which had been ported alongside the other versions), The Conduit, and Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, in terms of online, etc. There was, quite simply, no reason to expect MW:Reflex to sell particularly well - it probably sold better than anybody expected, actually.

And you just suggested that Wii owners were so starved for games that they bought games that sucked... what's the basis for that claim? I said that they didn't buy CoD titles en masse because there were better games to buy.

no point in getting into it more, because im just wasting time, especially since you keep bringing up COD3 which doesnt disprove my point as the 360 STILL outsold the Wii one, so dont know how you can explain that one away, only one of the HD version's needed to outsell the Wii one, not both.  Just refer to SOundwave's last post as it sums up all i was trying to say.