By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ps4 controller to include LCD touchscreen, biometric sensors?

Source says Sony could replace long-running DualShock controller with an all-new pad for next-generation console.

The PlayStation 4 could introduce a new controller, pushing the longstanding and iconic DualShock input to the background. A "senior games studio" source speaking to CVG claims Sony's research and development department has been busy testing numerous controller designs for the still-unannounced next-generation machine. One such design includes an LCD touch-screen and biometric sensors on its grips.

Biometrics technology is capable of reading data from a gamer's body, including heart rate and temperature, among other things. Half-Life and Portal studio Valve is alsoexperimenting with the technology.

This information is backed up by other sources who told Eurogamer that Sony has been testing a PS4 controller with a touch-screen and biometrics functionality for as long as six months. The designs reportedly change every month.

The DualShock controller was introduced with the original PlayStation in 1997 and a version of the pad has been used in every PlayStation console since. It is not clear if the DualShock will be replaced entirely by a new controller or if the PS4 will be compatible with older inputs, similar to the way Wii Remotes work with the Wii U.

Sony is reportedly gearing up to announce the PS4 at an Apple-style media conference at the end of March.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps4-controller-to-include-lcd-touch-screen-biometric-sensors-6402640

Around the Network

i dont know if its my PC but your thread is messed up. words are all over each other.

Edit : its working now, probably my PC

i really hope they change something with the dualshock, even if its just size or layout, i like the feeling of getting something new, even if it does the exact same thing as PS3 controllers, i would still like them to just change the look

I still want them to make 2 controllers. A Dualshock 4 and a Dualshock 4XL. Let the people choose whether they want the original size or a bigger one.

bananaking21 said:

i dont know if its my PC but your thread is messed up. words are all over each other.

Edit : its working now, probably my PC

No vgchartz didnt like something about the article so i had to delete the guys name and instead post a link.  It probably looked like numbers was overlapping the words before

Around the Network

Gee wizz, there's a lot of PS4 rumours flying around lately =/

cool. can't wait to see it. hope it doesn't look stupid

Sounds like a wii u.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

no thox

As a Sony enthusiast, I call bullshit on this rumour since Sony wouldn't want to be caught dead copying Nintendo WiiU remote.
Many of my peers here said so, too.