By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sells New York HQ for $1.1 billion, up 19% in 2 days

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/18/sony-building-idUSL4N0AN1NL20130118

-20 bidders

-sony bought the building in 1992 (even though I think reuters has it wrong, they bought it in 2002 according to wiki) for 236 million, will set a operating income gain of 685 million for the march quarter.

-its japanese HQ is up for sale also, Sony is looking for another billion for that property

Shares were up 13%

Around the Network

Thats huge! Maybe Sony should just ditch consumer electronics and get into property investment, seems more profitable for them (j/k).

wait... are the employees will be transfer somewhere else? did people just lost their jobs there too?

Very good news. Now they need to sell that building in Japan..

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Finally some money for Sony ..... Dear Gawd

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

Around the Network

edit shares are up 13% now

aikohualda said:
wait... are the employees will be transfer somewhere else? did people just lost their jobs there too?

They just continue to work as usual. Just that Sony will have to pay rent.

aikohualda said:

It will be rented back to them. This will cost them more over the long-term, but they need the cash now.

Soleron said:
aikohualda said:

It will be rented back to them. This will cost them more over the long-term, but they need the cash now.

The official agreement is for 3 years, after that they have new leasing terms.  They can agree to them or move to something more affordable.

Not good news. If they are this desperate it means things are worse behind closed doors than they are letting on. The only way for them to turn it around is to start selling TV at competitive prices.