By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sells New York HQ for $1.1 billion, up 19% in 2 days

kain_kusanagi said:
Train wreck said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Not good news. If they are this desperate it means things are worse behind closed doors than they are letting on. The only way for them to turn it around is to start selling TV at competitive prices.

wrong.  Did you guys not read what Kaz mention during his time at CES?  They are getting rid of non core assets (chemical business, joint ventures that do not make sense for them, some of its headquarters and its upcoming battery business) to focus on their core (gaming, TV, phones, electronics/media), you know the things that people constantly say sony needs to be in.

Riiiiight, as if the head of the company is going to admit to investors that it's as close to a fire sale as you can get without burning the company to ash.

Seriously, If the company wasn't in trouble they wouldn't be laying people off left and right and selling assets to pay debts and keep factories open. I hope it works and they get some budget priced HDTVs into Walmart so they can start making a profit like Visio. Things are clearly not going well, but maybe their strategy will pay off.

No one said that the company is doing rosy, thats why kaz is the CEO now, they are in restructure mode.  They are trying to get smaller purporsely.

They reduce the number of TV models last year in order to cost save.  They have to lay off people and close studios, sell building and non core assets like it chemical business, its joint ventures that did not make any sense but was costing them 1 billion dollars a year, its upcoming battery business and reinvest in the thing that most people constantly say they should do, invest in their core stuff like consumer electronics, phones and games.

Around the Network
Train wreck said:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/18/sony-building-idUSL4N0AN1NL20130118

-20 bidders

-sony bought the building in 1992 (even though I think reuters has it wrong, they bought it in 2002 according to wiki) for 236 million, will set a operating income gain of 685 million for the march quarter.

-its japanese HQ is up for sale also, Sony is looking for another billion for that property

Shares were up 13%

$236million --> $1.1bn in 10 years? No.

Rule of thumb for property is double value every 10 years, so 2002--> 2012 should only be ~$500 Million with a start value of $236 Million.

But look, 1992-->2012 = 20 years which means you'd expect $236 million to turn into about $1bn give or take a couple hundred million.

If Sony really did get 4x buy price in only 10 years then that's really amazing capital gain. Perhaps things were going for cheap in New York in 2002, being less than a year after 9/11.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Train wreck said:
Tarumon said:
Thats $1 billion from sale....against $140 billion of liabilitities...less than 4% of their debt. Let's hope they have some serious windfall from the Yen.

Well im sure a company that is in the process of a turnaround will address its liability problem at some point, im sure you want nothing more for Sony to continue with its status quo and be bankrupt within 2 years.

As for the Yen windfall, Im sure Sony will benefit, they forcasted march 2013 earnings back in the summer of 2012 when the yen was at what 74? Its 90 now and will probably hit par sometime in the next two quarters.  At last check for each yen decrease against the dollar Sony get $25 -30 million in operating profit, so you are talking $420 million in dollar terms, dont even how much a gain will be in euros and that move is even greater, and they receive the majority of their sales there.

Your habit of saying I'm sure....is very indicative of your making too many assumptions.  I support Sony via TV purchases, HDAV purchase, PS3 purchase even though I only played one game on it.  You must be too busy defending Sony you are like a mad dog that will bite anyone that dares saying anything negative.  

Just to give you an example of your lack of understanding of Sony as a company:

Geographic Information
Sales and operating revenue (to external customers) 3 months Ended 9/30/2012

in Billions USD

Japan    $6.73.        China.           $1.80

US.         2.95.        Asia Pacific     2.45

Europe.   3.85.        Rest of World. 2.82

Europe comprises $3.85 billion out of $20.6 billion.  Sony does not receive a majority of its revenue there.  Please choke back on the "lecturing" tone.  You actually don't know what you are talking about.  Respect others a little more, don't just attack somebody because you don't like what is being said.    

ethomaz said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Not good news. If they are this desperate it means things are worse behind closed doors than they are letting on. The only way for them to turn it around is to start selling TV at competitive prices.

It's not a bad news... every big companies do that like IBM, Microsoft, etc... It's easy to rent the place because all the adminstration is passed to the owner.

sony have other building up for sale and fired ten thousand work force so not good new either

2008 Berlin
2013 Tokyo
2013 New York

If this is the cheapest way to get the money they desperately need, then go for it. You can't do it more than once though.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
ZaneWane said:
ethomaz said:
kain_kusanagi said:

It's not a bad news... every big companies do that like IBM, Microsoft, etc... It's easy to rent the place because all the adminstration is passed to the owner.

sony have other building up for sale and fired ten thousand work force so not good new either

So it's just news? Practices happen like this every day in business more so in recent years, it's just a sign of using business equities in a more efficient matter. Exactly what Sony is doing, can't turn things around sitting on your ass.

kowenicki said:

The market isn't responding to the building sale. It is responding to the CEO statement of yesterday.

Anyway, I expected a profit this quarter anyway, and this has assured a profit for the next quarter I guess.

We'll have to look beyond this transaction to see what's going on in the numbers.

i don't think the market is responding just to this statement (did it even deliver numbers?) in that extreme way. i think it is three things:

- that statement

- selling the building with profit

- the third thing is:

japans new government plans a money flood. markets already react to that. NIKKEI is up today ~3 percent. the last two month it were 25 percent.

Nikon up 5.8 percent today. panasonic up 5.3 percent today. and as we know sony is in financial trouble and has to pay high for debt, i think sony profits the most from cheap money (better said the hope for cheap money which will come in some weeks?).

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

I wonder if this means Sony's divisions are moving to slightly more modest headquarters.

I guess the times will do that to everybody.

Kaz is going ahead with his plan, good 2 see hes a man of action and not all talk.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

DirtyP2002 said:

2008 Berlin
2013 Tokyo
2013 New York

If this is the cheapest way to get the money they desperately need, then go for it. You can't do it more than once though.

did not know sony sold building in berlin