By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox gamers need to expect more

platformmaster918 said:

Every time I see someone say Sony will pass 360 soon it seems the counter point is "but Sony lost so much gen over gen.  It took them too long.  They lost their brand power.  blah blah blah"

This is completely irrelevant.  If you're really happy with a close 3rd place then fine, but don't try to twist that into momentum, especially when it's been getting outsold for years.  Facing a console with a $600 launch price, no system sellers in its first 2 years, a year late, and that was difficult to program for it's kind of pathetic that it's this close.  People don't buy on brand names they buy on price, exclusives, and what their friends had.  Price of course is partially effected by online fees and proprietary HDDs which people don't seem to see as much.  It's just setting a pathetic standard for Xbox.  You should shoot for 1st or at least 2nd, not brush off 3rd place like its something to be proud of.  Have some pride in your console and demand better games and value!

compared to a console with a 50% failure rate and its own lack of quality software early on?  People talk about how the ps3 launched terribly as a reason why it is sad that the xbox isn't doing better, but they seem to forget that the xbox had a terrible launch themselves.  In many ways, the 360's launch problems lasted longer than the ps3's problems.  

Honestly, from a gamers perspective, every console maker was a winner this gen, there was no loser.  People can debate arbitrary definitions of what it means for a console to be successful, but for gamers we all win this gen.  

Around the Network
disolitude said:
007BondAgent said:
JayWood2010 said:
It's not momentum. X360 has been a success, ps3 has not been. Don't really see the point in this thread when that is true. It isn't a counter point when it is true.

EDIT: And Im pretty sure people expected 360 to not reach 70m. Actually many predicted lower than 30m and many predicted ps3 well over 100m.

How hasn't the PS3 been a success?

It's the only console that will ever be released for such a high price and survive

If nintendo or microsoft released a $599 system, it would be dead within 12 months

Objection! Pure speculation...

people who talk about the higher price always seem to forget that the ps3 did cost more because it had more tech like blu-ray which sony didn't build in because they had a boring day or something. they build it in the ps3 because they thought it is a good decision.

So, basically you don't want Xbox 360 users to be happy about a third place with well above 70 million consoles sold? You want them to "expect more" at that point?

That's pretty fucking ridiculous.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
So, basically you don't want Xbox 360 users to be happy about a third place with well above 70 million consoles sold? You want them to "expect more" at that point?

That's pretty fucking ridiculous.

aye didn't you know that your system of preference selling 3x what it did the previous generation is terrible in comparison to a system selling less than half what it did it's previous gen?!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

platformmaster918 said:

Every time I see someone say Sony will pass 360 soon it seems the counter point is "but Sony lost so much gen over gen.  It took them too long.  They lost their brand power.  blah blah blah"

This is completely irrelevant.  If you're really happy with a close 3rd place then fine, but don't try to twist that into momentum, especially when it's been getting outsold for years.  Facing a console with a $600 launch price, no system sellers in its first 2 years, a year late, and that was difficult to program for it's kind of pathetic that it's this close.  People don't buy on brand names they buy on price, exclusives, and what their friends had.  Price of course is partially effected by online fees and proprietary HDDs which people don't seem to see as much.  It's just setting a pathetic standard for Xbox.  You should shoot for 1st or at least 2nd, not brush off 3rd place like its something to be proud of.  Have some pride in your console and demand better games and value!

Or how about Xbox being the non established brand with very few established IP's coming into this gen. Or how about this non established brand having RRod problems at launch and for the next few years. BTW RRod is a MUCH bigger problem then a 600 dollar price point. Especially coming from the new kid on the block in Mirosoft with a very short track record in the gaming industry.

There are always so many excuses for Sony. Your right it is pathetic that it is this close. A company that has only had two gaming cycles ahead of the company that has been around for 3 and has been the most successul leading itno this gen. Sony should be ashamed of themselves.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
007BondAgent said:
JayWood2010 said:
It's not momentum. X360 has been a success, ps3 has not been. Don't really see the point in this thread when that is true. It isn't a counter point when it is true.

EDIT: And Im pretty sure people expected 360 to not reach 70m. Actually many predicted lower than 30m and many predicted ps3 well over 100m.

It's the only console that will ever be released for such a high price and survive

If nintendo or microsoft released a $599 system, it would be dead within 12 months

That doesnt mean that it is a success.  Surviving is not a success.  That just means it scraped by to not die.  When you lose a lot of money and lose 120m in marketshare that is not considered a success.  

The thread says people need to expect more for xbox but 70m and the profits are far more than most believed.

Maybe sony gamers need to lower there expectations considering all of the predictions that has failed this generation.

EDIT: And if you think im attacking PS3 im not.  Im stating things that are true.  And I will always defend things or people when others are simply wrong about something.

I really wouldn't call the 360 a success also, it still hasn't profited "like the original xbox" and it managed to lose a huge lead it originally had over the PS3

Yes it managed to sell alot better then the original xbox, but it's failures outweighs it's success's

platformmaster918 said:

The 360 already surpassed all its expectations a long time ago both in software and hardware sales and overall quality software lineup both online and in physical form so I don't see any point of expecting more.  As a 360 user it has surpassed all of my expectations for sure.

007BondAgent said:
JayWood2010 said:
007BondAgent said:
JayWood2010 said:

That doesnt mean that it is a success.  Surviving is not a success.  That just means it scraped by to not die.  When you lose a lot of money and lose 120m in marketshare that is not considered a success.  

The thread says people need to expect more for xbox but 70m and the profits are far more than most believed.

Maybe sony gamers need to lower there expectations considering all of the predictions that has failed this generation.

EDIT: And if you think im attacking PS3 im not.  Im stating things that are true.  And I will always defend things or people when others are simply wrong about something.

I really wouldn't call the 360 a success also, it still hasn't profited "like the original xbox" and it managed to lose a huge lead it originally had over the PS3

Yes it managed to sell alot better then the original xbox, but it's failures outweighs it's success's

You've got to be kidding. The 360 is a gigantic success this gen. Yes, the PS3 managed to tie it, coming from far behind. But the Xbox brand has profited greatly exactly because it managed to do so well against the Playstation brand, which was the leading one for the 2 prior gens. The Xbox name is now strongly recognized, just like Live is (although I personally dislike it).  Microsoft gained a lot, even if it didn't nearly profit as much as it should have, financially.

I don't agree that the PS3 isn't a success, but to say that the 360 isn't one is utterly ridiculous any way you look at it.

My if this isn't a tremendous troll thread.

Yeah, this one won't stand.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

JayWood2010 said:

Also they have lost there brand power.  They have lost so much money in the last 7 years that they are no loner a AAA company.  They have been lowered to AA.  Not just because of the game division but because of multiple divisions.  Sony is not the same company they once were.  People looked at them as a dominate powerhouse 10 years ago.  Now they are joined with many companies in multiple divisions.

srry my good friend, the op is right. both consoles have had great success, yet only PS3 has climbed mountains to get to were it is.

now like you, i'd grade success on profit, but also on every level that makes the product sell, and that would be based on how much that product sold. even with the worst of marketing, the PS3 climbed back from the depths of the abyss to come within striking distance of being the second place console for the 7th gen. regardless of when it happens.

if we're going off the op, then 360 fans would be claiming a hollow victory based on that point. sure they'll be a lot of victories handed out this gen. PS3 will likely take both Europe and (if lucky) JP, and 360 north America, PS3 selling more in it's first 6 yr.'s then the 360, and may soon be PS3 selling more in 6 yr.'s then 360 in 7.

their credit rating, multiple divisions, brand power, and the joining of multiple companies isn't the topic here. if it weren't for Kinect, the gap may have been closer at this point in time. there might not even be one right now. this proves the brand isn't that badly damaged, and is patch/fixable.

i've always said you need more then one reason to buy a console and with 360, i only have one, which is unfortunate.