By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is the Xbox 360 SO popular in the U.S.?

Games sell consoles and Sony was not up to speed on that for the first few years. After that in America they were about equal, then kinect came with new games and a new way to game. A lot of people picked it up and now we are here.

Around the Network

For the same reason why the Xbox 360 is so unpopular in Japan.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

I think the price was the biggest contributor to its success. It has always remained cheaper than the PS3. To most gamers, a cheaper console with pretty much the same games and graphics seemed like a better deal than the PS3. Blueray wasn't really a selling point. Ofcourse, many gamers might have regretted that decision after they realised Live was not free.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
I think the price was the biggest contributor to its success. It has always remained cheaper than the PS3. To most gamers, a cheaper console with pretty much the same games and graphics seemed like a better deal than the PS3. Blueray wasn't really a selling point. Ofcourse, many gamers might have regretted that decision after they realised Live was not free.

The average pricepoint of the Xbox 360 is higher than the one for the PS3.

Anyway: As you can see in this thread people see the Xbox 360 as the console that does it all. Some say it is because of Kinect and the focus on the casuals, some say it is due to XBL Apps, some say it is due to FPS and even violence for the core. It is all of these reasons combined and MS is smart enough to let people know.

Simple, isn't it?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Michael-5 said:

For the same reason why the Xbox 360 is so unpopular in Japan.

And the prize goes to contestant number 5 lol. This is what i have been saying as well. This doesn't mean a product or console has to be American made to sell in the US. Just that the 360 is one such product that has profited big from this.

Around the Network

Cause its cheap? thats the only reason I could think of....

Xbox is widely popular in the US because:
1.) It's an FPS haven.
2.) It sports a controller that's fitting for an FPS
3.) In a world where Xbox and PS3 are virtually equal, US moms, dads, and grannies are more likely to pick up the American product.

This of course coming from a person residing far outside of the U.S...lol

Areym said:

Americans love violence. It is in their culture, it is part of their history. The 360 focuses heavily on violence and that's what american teens want to do. Not to mention MS has a lot more advertisement going on than Sony. 

all country have history of violence

The Xbox 360 dominates in USA and UK for 3 reasons :

- Patriotism : american and english buying the american console
- Marketing
- Shooterzzzz (Halo, Gears, COD)
- Casual audience (Kinect)

Metallicube said:
Areym said:

Americans love violence. It is in their culture, it is part of their history. The 360 focuses heavily on violence and that's what american teens want to do. Not to mention MS has a lot more advertisement going on than Sony. 

That's a pretty ignorant statement.. If you look at history as I have (got my degree in history) you'll see violence is present throughout nearly every culture throughout time, at least to an extent. I will agree that American media loves to hone in on violence to boost ratings, but that doesn't mean the American public loves violence.

Also, let's be honest here, is the PS3 lineup really less violent than the 360's?

Tbe public loves violence. Doesn't makes us monster but we are sadistic in a sense. We love to see one guy take out like 25 guys with a machine gun. We like to see the hero take out his enemies in the most brutal ways possible. Also, i base my statement in the fact that the 360 gets special streament on these violent video games because the 360 is known, or at least it was before the kinect, to be the hardcore console while the PS3 was more towards a middle ground and the Wii being for 4 year olds and Zelda fans and also cause they sold better on the 360. GTA4 got timed exclusives, CoD games get timed exclusives not to mention it has big franchises focused heavy on combat (Halo and GoW)

The PS3 does have a violent line up as well but we're not talking about the PS3, are we? Gratz on the history degee btw.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian